Suggestions: 15" Magnum 500's for 68 Fury III

furyfever

Reaction score
Hello All, I'd like to purchase a set of 15" Magnum 500's for my newly acquired 1968 Plymouth Fury III. With 15's I know I'll have a much better (local) tire selection. Suggestion for rim width too please...as I want to go with 225/75r-15 white walls. These will be closest in diameter to the 8.25-15 tires that would have come on Furys with the front disc brake option. The car is an original survivor so it's important to me to put the most correct wheels on the car as possible. Can I please have your suggestions and best suppliers/vendors? I believe it was the Vintiques that I saw somewhere on line and many buyers were unhappy because they were so out of round...were not able to balance them...hmmm. That scared me...want to stay away from them! Thanks in advance.

Thanks Bob
s-l1600 (21).jpg

The car is an original survivor so it's important to me to put the most correct wheels on the car as possible.b

A 15" Magnum 500 wheel will be either aftermarket or a Ford wheel.
Chrysler only put 14" Magnum 500 wheels on their cars.

Nice car!

A 15" Magnum 500 wheel will be either aftermarket or a Ford wheel.
Chrysler only put 14" Magnum 500 wheels on their cars.

Nice car!
From what I'm reading, Chrysler did put 15" wheels on the front disc brake cars. Now were these only steel wheels with 15" wheelcovers then? No 15" Magnums were put on these front disc brake cars?

Reason I ask...there were/are two type magnums...the painted silver/black wheel with trim rings and the all chrome magnums (with black centers) with no trim ring. What type were the original 14" magnums?

From what I'm reading, Chrysler did put 15" wheels on the front disc brake cars. Now were these only steel wheels with 15" wheelcovers then? No 15" Magnums were put on these front disc brake cars?

Reason I ask...there were/are two type magnums...the painted silver/black wheel with trim rings and the all chrome magnums (with black centers) with no trim ring. What type were the original 14" magnums?

No 15" Magnums from Chrysler at all.

68_Fury0029.jpg

1968 and older cars had a chrome rim and 1969 and newer had a trim ring. I have been told that some 1968 cars may have had the trim ring wheel, but I've never seen that verified anywhere.

It's my understanding that the Magnum 500 type wheel was never offered aftermarket with the trim ring. and Ford wheels never had the trim ring.

Thanks Big John...That makes it crystal clear. My black/silver painted 14" magnum wheels with stainless trim rings must be from 1969 (and after) then...probably for the B and A bodies then because C's had 15" wheels by then. Plus the 15" road wheels came into being then too.

So perhaps the 15" chrome magnum 500 (w/out trim ring) would be more correct for what I want to do.

Maybe someone can chime in here that has the 15" repro magnums that they had good luck with.

Bob

Last edited:
No Ford wheels on a Mopar, please.
You have a great survivor, don't destroy its appearence.

There are excellent 14" tires out there.
You can find the exact original tires (Goodyear Speedway) at:
www.kelseytire.com

Carsten

That car is So dam perfect, I get scared just looking at it. I would leave it alone. But it is your car. Magnums would be in good Taste.

Thanks guys. Here's my choice. The guy that I bought the car from, gave me a set of painted silver/black 14" magnum 500's with trim rings. I can have these bead blasted and repainted and then buy a set of $800-1000 tires...or sell them and buy a new set of 15" chrome magnums for $650 and a set of off the shelf 225/75r-15 or 235/70r-15 whitewalls for $350-400. What's that old saying "6 or 1/2 dozen of the other?" I do prefer the look of the all chrome magnums.

1. What's the difference between the Ford magnums and Mopar magnums? Other than the center cap, I don't see any.

2. I'm leaning toward the 15x7 wheels...Is there any reason to think about 15x6's or 15x8's? If I remember rightly, I had 15x8's on the rear of my 68 Monaco and had trouble getting them on. They were very close to not clearing the wheel wells "on the way in" when putting them on.

3. The 68 Fury III came with 7.75-14 Bias Plys or with front disc brakes, 8.25-15 Bias Plys. Correct? I'd like to go with radials so I'm going to try to match the diameter of those sizes close as possible. Reason: I really dislike it when tires are too small for a car. 215/75r-14's are too small for these cars and that's the biggest size available (off the shelf) for 14's now.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
IMHO, the trim ring Magnums wouldn't look right on that car.

Most people won't notice the 14" to 15" difference in wheels unless it's pointed out. It might just look "different" to some. Those that know what they are looking at ... well it sticks out like a sore thumb. The space difference from the center to the outside rim is very noticeable to me.

The choice is yours. It is your car. If it were mine, I would stay with the hubcaps and keep the "survivor" thing going. Everybody has some sort of wheels on their cars, either aftermarket or optional factory wheel. I like seeing a car with hubcaps, especially a cool survivor type car like yours. The hubcaps on that car are different and stand out. I'd leave it, but that's me.

15" Ford wheels are pretty close to a chevy engine IMHO

When buying a nearly perfect survivor it is a commitment to me to keep it as original looking as it left the factory.

If you want to personalize your car: You shouldn't have bought a survivor

In my opinon it looks GREAT with the full wheel covers.

If you go to a Mopar show you see rows of Mopars with the common Magnums, Rallies or dog dish caps but not many wear their full wheelcovers.

I surely would miss your car on a show with 15" Magnums installed as I wouldn't come close enough thinking "just another modified car"

Sorry if my words sound harsh. I am not diplomatic this time. Just straight and honest

Carsten

IMHO, the trim ring Magnums wouldn't look right on that car.

Most people won't notice the 14" to 15" difference in wheels unless it's pointed out. It might just look "different" to some. Those that know what they are looking at ... well it sticks out like a sore thumb. The space difference from the center to the outside rim is very noticeable to me.

The choice is yours. It is your car. If it were mine, I would stay with the hubcaps and keep the "survivor" thing going. Everybody has some sort of wheels on their cars, either aftermarket or optional factory wheel. I like seeing a car with hubcaps, especially a cool survivor type car like yours. The hubcaps on that car are different and stand out. I'd leave it, but that's me.

I understand and agree with you Big John. I would always keep the stock wheels/hubcap setup to change back and forth. Would love to find rear wheel well moldings so I could remove the skirts for that sporty look when I get the itch too. Magnums without skirts and stock wheels/hubcaps with skirts. It would look like 2 different cars. Just a thought right now.

Carsten...I get your drift. Makes good sense. The stock wheels/hubcap setup definitely go hand in hand with the car being an original survivor.

Still...no one has answered me. What's the difference...between a 15" Mopar Magnum and a 15" Ford Magnum besides the (obvious) center cap?

Bob

Last edited:
Whoa tough crowd here. If he goes with the Mopar style 15" X 6" magnums what is wrong with that? You can still fit the correct diameter 225/75r-15 white walls so no impact on the speedo. Most would be hard pressed to tell the difference without checking the tire size up close. Also you can't get the correct diameter 14" tires off the shelf any more without mortgaging your house. If you can get a new set of Magnums for $650 go for it because I haven't seen any for under $1000 here in Canada.

I understand and agree with you Big John. I would always keep the stock wheels/hubcap setup to change back and forth. Would love to find rear wheel well moldings so I could remove the skirts for that sporty look when I get the itch too. Magnums without skirts and stock wheels/hubcaps with skirts. It would look like 2 different cars. Just a thought right now.

Carsten...I get your drift. Makes good sense. The stock wheels/hubcap setup definitely go hand in hand with the car being an original survivor. What's the difference though...between a 15" Mopar Magnum and a 15" Ford Magnum besides the (obvious) center cap?

Bob

In general, the center hub diameter on Ford wheels is too small to fit the flange on a Mopar rear axle.

Something to double check before you commit to a Ford wheel.

I have no direct knowledge of "modern" Magnum wheels.

Magnums with white stripes look awesome on any slabsider, IMHO.

Cragar classics with black walls are also high on my list.

Might not look "appropriate" on your car.

IMG_0163.JPG

It's your car, make it your own.

Hope the input helps.

John

That's correct, you want an aftermarket "repo" wheel with the correct center size. Most likely, an actual original Ford wheel would be as expensive as the repop anyway.

With the aftermarket wheel, you should be able to buy them with the correct center applique.

I still like the hubcaps though..... LOL.

I think the magnums with even a little taller tire, say a 235 70r 15 would be killer on that car. Yes it's a great survivor and you should keep it original and care for it as such. But if your already thinking about swapping the wheels for mag 500s (which I totally agree with) then you may as well put a meaty tire for the best ride. I've been to Carlise and the Mopar Nats many times as well as having friends who own and restore nice Mopars and have yet to get bored or "loose sight in the show field" of the cars who run magnums lol That car would be tits with those wheels, hell maybe even period torque thrust D with a set of redlines sure wouldn't be ugly either! I really dig your Fury, you scored a hell of a sweet ride.

Last edited:
Whoa tough crowd here. If he goes with the Mopar style 15" X 6" magnums what is wrong with that? You can still fit the correct diameter 225/75r-15 white walls so no impact on the speedo. Most would be hard pressed to tell the difference without checking the tire size up close. Also you can't get the correct diameter 14" tires off the shelf any more without mortgaging your house. If you can get a new set of Magnums for $650 go for it because I haven't seen any for under $1000 here in Canada.

The Specialty Wheel website mentioned has the repop wheels for $163 each.

Just looked into Specialty Wheel a little closer...$652 for a set of 15x6 magnums but I didn't count on an extra $202 for shipping! So the total there would be $854.

Chrysler Magnum - Mopar - Product Showcase

Summit doesn't charge for shipping...so a set of their magnums would be $640 total. Anyone know if there's a difference in quality? The old addidge: you get what you pay for may be the key here?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-54-561204/overview/

Bob

Last edited:
Back