Suggestions: 15" Magnum 500's for 68 Fury III

I guess I need to talk th Sigmund Freud.
If a survivor has an old sticker: I wont touch it.
Once the original owner put a towel on the dash of a 1970 Sport Suburban to protect it from cracking. I couldn't remove it as it has been on there for a long time.
(and as soon as you just touched it slightly it made a cloud of dust)

Carsten

Just to make sure...BEFORE I buy...Ford, Mopar and AMC use the same Magnum 500 correct? All have 5 (hole) - 4.5" (center to center spacing) and the only difference would be the center caps correct? I'm talking about the repop 15" rims...not concerned about the original 14" wheels.

Thanks, Bob

Just to make sure...BEFORE I buy...Ford, Mopar and AMC use the same Magnum 500 correct? All have 5 (hole) - 4.5" (center to center spacing) and the only difference would be the center caps correct? I'm talking about the repop 15" rims...not concerned about the original 14" wheels.

Thanks, Bob

Just to clarify, double check that the center hub (not the center trim cap) of the new wheels will fit the rear axle flange.

If you can't determine this for certain for Ford or AMC, then I would stick with Mopar only wheels.

Hope the input helps.

John

Old thread I came across while researching wheels, saw a couple of things worth responding to.
funny tat some of you are talking about the magnum wheel for earlier than 68's.
I have the chrome spokes and the brushed trim rings on my Polara...
they are a14"x6" rim.
What car would they have come from?

View attachment 74848
Those look very much like mid-70s 14" Magnums, they typically have a silver/brushed spoke, not chrome.

IMHO these tires are too tall for this car.. maybe one size down would have been a better appearance fit?
Those 235/70 tires aren't too tall, it's a visual thing due to being a blackwall. Either WW or RWL would break that up.

Just to clarify, double check that the center hub (not the center trim cap) of the new wheels will fit the rear axle flange.

If you can't determine this for certain for Ford or AMC, then I would stick with Mopar only wheels.

Hope the input helps.

John
These Magnum 500s don't have a hub register hole like a typical rim. They are stud-piloted, rather than typical factory rims that are hub-piloted. Which makes me re-think all the discussions I've read whether stud-piloting was 'good enough.' Apparently good enough for the factory engineers at the Big 3 and AMC, who all used some version of this wheel.

wvi-54-5712044_ws_xl.jpg

Back