Sure grip has lost it's grip??

robndi43

Reaction score
I am trying to determine if my parts car has a sure grip diff. With the rear end raised, I turned one wheel clockwise to see if the other side followed suite .It started to rotate in the same direction, then didn't move at all . I expected it to turn forward or backward at least. After it's inital start in the same direction, it stopped, though.
Is this a sure grip with a problem?

It's either an open rear or completely wiped out Sure Grip. What model rear is in the car? If it's an 8-1/4, you probably don't want to use it anyway.

Jeff

It's either an open rear or completely wiped out Sure Grip. What model rear is in the car? If it's an 8-1/4, you probably don't want to use it anyway.

Jeff
It's a mutt .It's a rusted out '75 Plymouth Road Runner with a '72 440 4 barrel with an A833 4 speed .The rear is an 8 3/4 for sure, but I've never seen one not turn forward or backward when you turn one wheel forward. It started to turn the same direction and then didn't turn at all. I'm assuming it's a wiped out sure grip. May keep the third member and send the rest of it with the body off to the guy buying the body off of me .

Are you doing this in neutral or park?
If park, the rotating of 1 wheel forces the other to react thru the diff, as the driveshaft is locked.
If neutral, the driveshaft could start to turn, but it might not immediately, and will make some resistance at first, so the other wheel might react thru the diff, and then the driveshaft starts to turn.
And you could have a slightly-sticky brake part in there interacting as well?

But every SG I've had is a real ***** to rotate via the tires. IIRC the FSM says that is the case also?

Are you doing this in neutral or park?
If park, the rotating of 1 wheel forces the other to react thru the diff, as the driveshaft is locked.
If neutral, the driveshaft could start to turn, but it might not immediately, and will make some resistance at first, so the other wheel might react thru the diff, and then the driveshaft starts to turn.
And you could have a slightly-sticky brake part in there interacting as well?

But every SG I've had is a real ***** to rotate via the tires. IIRC the FSM says that is the case also?
I didn't check until I had the driveshaft, motor and tranny out.
I assumed it would still turn one side if I turned the other side . I'm far from an expert on these things, that's why I'm asking. Trying to learn something here.

Yes, it does.

But! Are you 100% positive it is a sure grip?
No . Trying to learn something here .Motor, tranny and driveshaft out of car. I assumed that I could tell if it was a sure grip by turning one wheel and watching the other as in the past experience I had, the other side would turn the same direction if sure grip, and the opposite direction if open . I've not had one start to turn the same way, then not move at all. I'm lost here .Sorry to be so unsure, but trying to learn .

No . Trying to learn something here .Motor, tranny and driveshaft out of car. I assumed that I could tell if it was a sure grip by turning one wheel and watching the other as in the past experience I had, the other side would turn the same direction if sure grip, and the opposite direction if open . I've not had one start to turn the same way, then not move at all. I'm lost here .Sorry to be so unsure, but trying to learn .
OK... All you will need to do is somehow hold the pinion flange and try to rotate one side. If it rotates, and the opposite side rotates the opposite direction, it's not a sure grip. If it doesn't want to rotate, it's a sure grip.

OK... All you will need to do is somehow hold the pinion flange and try to rotate one side. If it rotates, and the opposite side rotates the opposite direction, it's not a sure grip. If it doesn't want to rotate, it's a sure grip.
Ok .In a nutshell, that's exactly what I needed to know!! Thank you so much!

I'll check it tomorrow .

[QUOTE="fury fan, post: 665681, member:

But every SG I've had is a real ***** to rotate via the tires. IIRC the FSM says that is the case also?[/QUOTE]

I just finished adjusting the brakes on my sure grip equipped rear end and had no problem turning one side (which turned the other side the same direction, of course) with very little effort. Is that reason to worry? Everything seems to be working well. Car is a '70 Newport 8 3/4" 3:23.

[QUOTE="fury fan, post: 665681, member:

I just finished adjusting the brakes on my sure grip equipped rear end and had no problem turning one side (which turned the other side the same direction, of course) with very little effort. Is that reason to worry? Everything seems to be working well. Car is a '70 Newport 8 3/4" 3:23.[/QUOTE]
Like I stated before, I'm no expert, but that's how all of mine have worked in the past. That's why I'm having such a tough time figuring out my issue .

get both rear tires off the ground. Put it in park. E brake off. Spin one side. Does it spin? Yes? Not a suregrip.

Or. Jack up one tire. Put it in neutral, no e brake. Spin the tire off the ground. Does it spin? Yes? Not a suregrip.

get both rear tires off the ground. Put it in park. E brake off. Spin one side. Does it spin? Yes? Not a suregrip.

Or. Jack up one tire. Put it in neutral, no e brake. Spin the tire off the ground. Does it spin? Yes? Not a suregrip.
I'll have to use the second option as I have pulled the motor, tranny and driveshaft out of this donor car .Trying to decide if I want the diff or not before I send the body to it's new owner.
Thanks for the input .

What case is it 741, 742, 489?
Jack it up with one wheel off the ground if it turns it's bad, or never was, if it will not turn it's a sure grip.

What case is it 741, 742, 489?
Jack it up with one wheel off the ground if it turns it's bad, or never was, if it will not turn it's a sure grip.
Not sure which case it is. It's a parts car thst I bought for the 440 and 4 speed tranny, shifter and other running gear . Was planning to yank the diff if it was sure grip .It's an 8 3/4 for sure, just haven't crawled under it to see which case . I'll have to look at the one under my bench in the garage to see where the numbers are . Don't remember .

Back