Sway bar bushing help

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Guess I thought this was a sway bar bushing? But every single search for any type of bushing doesn't pull this up. Any help you can give?

20230715_121954.jpg

Hmmm maybe? Looks like Its shaped like this but I can't find a single bushing anywhere online that matches

Screenshot_20230716_203400.jpg

I looked in my 63-64 and 70-71 factory parts manual, front suspension section, and don’t see anything shaped like that either.

Hmmm maybe? Looks like Its shaped like this but I can't find a single bushing anywhere online that matches

View attachment 606545
Although the Imperial front sway bar is shown in the front suspension section, OTHER front and rear sway bars are in Group 17. Those illustrations better-show the C-body front suspension and front sway bar.

In the 1970-71 Chrysler Parts Manual
Parts Group 17-29-15 Cushion, Shaft Qty/vehicle = 2 Part # 2462570
Yes, the item is shaped as above, in the parts book image.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Yes, that's an anti-sway bar bushing.
It's the part that connect it to the strut rod.

The ones I ordered are just round but don't have that nub to go up into that channel. So unless new ones don't need it I'm lost. I'm checking everyone's suggested links.also there were 4 bushings in the package. My brain thinks I should only need one for each side

the replacements currently available do not have the extra tab on them..they are just a round bushing...K 7064...grabbed mine from O Reillys for 10 bucks...had my 68 for 23 years and those bushings had already been replaced by the current style when i got it...just replaced them now because i had everything apart to change the square ones on the links ,not because they failed so i dont see any issue with them not having the extra tab

Last edited:
Ok. So I don't need to have that nub? Won't cause any issues not having it? You can see it in my first pic. I can just use a regular round one? Also , here is what I got. Looks like the right description but has that ridge in the middle. That doesn't look right

Screenshot_20230717_101951.jpg

Not sure why nobody apparently repros the OEM design cushions, other than the more-plentiful B-body designs have higher sales volumes and the indicated items are more "will fit" rather than being accurate to the orig items on C-bodies. That upper nub better fits the brackets on the C-body cars, but might not really be needed. Unless it was there to keep the cushion in place as the strut bars and sway bar ends traveled through slightly different arcs as the control arms went up and down? But, the nub-less items could do the same thing and probably not have any durability issues over time?

Key thing, of course, is the ID of the cushions, so check that prior to attempting installation. I'm wondering if there might be an existing front sway bar mount bushing (not a Chrysler application) that would have the needed ID and then could be selectively modified (i.e., "cut-down") to fit the existing bracket assy?

When I looked at the Firm Feel website, seeing the complexity of the attaching hardware for THEIR C-body front sway bars, I was amazed at all of the rubber, nuts, bolts, and linkages. To go with their in-house front sway bars. Much complexity to replace something Chrysler did so efficiently.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

hard to tell from your pic...my bracket set has a bulged out area all around for that ridge to fit into...in your pic your bracket looks flat?

The factory ones had the key, all others didn't. Only way to get the key is NOS.

Alan

And here I always thought that the worn and compressed rubber squished up there after 50 years. I could only find round ones as well

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to get into the process of changing my strut rods soon and would have been looking for the key style, now I don't have to waste time thinking about it.

The factory ones had the key, all others didn't. Only way to get the key is NOS.

Alan
I was able to fabricate a grooved bracket to match the factory bracket I had. I bent the bracket from flat bar, cut a slot for the key and welded a strip of steel over the slot. Job done! Lindsay

You need all three of these bushings / pads on each side. Pretty sure I bought them all at RockAuto 4 or 5 years ago.

DSCF3304.JPG

Went back and checked, all the new bushings were Moog, sorry no numbers or photos.

Back