Take your classic cars if you have to evacuate

I have 4 cars and I still combat park my vehicles. Lifelong habits I can't break. I could ask my gf to drive one but I would get a pretty strong argument that she would want to drive her car. I would probably save the NYB. It is far from being the most valuable or newest vehicle I have but the NYB would be the vehicle I would choose.

No. THE entire idea is to make sure the living creatures are OK.
F*** the cars. They are not on my list except the one that hauls our asses out of there. Any car will do.
WTF is wrong with you people?
A effing classic car? This never should have deserved a thread.
I'm going to respectfully disagree, this was a useful subject. Now those folks who have never planned in advance for anything to go wrong have the opportunity to at least THINK.

We see it every time a hurricane threat comes along to some degree... grocery shelves cleared by those foolish enough to remain under supplied after the early forecasts. Grandmas willing to shoot you for that pack of batteries or gas pumps... I bet insurance writers sell a bunch of policies to idiots who can't grasp they won't be covered for the event about to take place.

When I said "take whatever makes sense"... it would have a lot to do with where I was going and what I was expecting. My trip south was light traffic and pleasant since everyone else seemed to head north. I could have taken any car I wanted... if I was going to run the same direction as the herd, I'd be in the 'burb with a 40 gallon fuel tank and maybe even toss a couple cans in the back for good measure. I might opt to haul the popup too... can't find a place to sleep within hundreds of miles when a big bug out occurs.

How often do these refugees wind up broke, hungry and have no way to get home even if they still have one... at least until fuel is available. The pets will keep you out of reasonable accommodations, and are why many folks who have the means to do better, wind up looking for shelter that will accept them.

I applaud the idea of thinking through a few nasty scenarios and figuring out how to work around or through them. I've watched too many fools try to find the fire extinguisher after the car in their stall has caught fire... sometimes they walked past it for years. I know from personal experience, the eye wash is tough to find when you need it.

Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to what you mean by my fleet and being allowed to live in California?
He means in the Tim Allen sense of measuring manhood. Add up all your cubic inches - it better be good and then you get to roar like Tarzan.

It’s hard to add up prius electric zaps? How do you measure that crap??? Volts ? Amps ? Or who cares. I get him, just a friendly PC joke.

He means in the Tim Allen sense of measuring manhood. Add up all your cubic inches - it better be good and then you get to roar like Tarzan.

It’s hard to add up prius electric zaps? How do you measure that crap??? Volts ? Amps ? Or who cares. I get him, just a friendly PC joke.

Yes. Where is your state-issued Toyota?

I don’t understand some of you.

I think I can go ahead and speak for the OP in saying that - he’s not suggesting you sit there tinkering with your car, hurryingly spraying starting fluid down the carb or try and replace the alternator while a deadly wildfire is scheduled to come to your house.
He’s not saying either to just leave all of your things and only worry about the vehicle. “Screw my wife. I’m hoping in the Plymouth.”

Obviously if you have a lot of umpteen cars, this post doesn’t apply to you
If your car doesn’t run. This post doesn’t apply to you.

For some people - it’s not “just material”. For some people - it’s the car they grew up in, learned how to drive in, the last shared memory between them and a loved one, a father, a mother. It’s nostalgia. It’s a part of life just like all the family photo albums, and baby pictures.

If you KNOW your car is reliable. Grab the keys. Grab your family. Grab everything you can and leave. Yes insurance can replace it. Just like it can replace the house. But the car has wheels. The house doesn’t. Save something and don’t lose everything. Can insurance replace memories?

Rant over.
BTW... just to add some perspective to the start of this thread... @sb61fury lost HER last Fury to a fire... and I can fully respect her desire not to lose another one.

[QUOTE=" I'd moan and groan all the way over to Graham's TrackHawk store"[/QUOTE]

You do live in a flood zone....mmmmm I will keep one on hand just in case

[QUOTE=" I'd moan and groan all the way over to Graham's TrackHawk store"

You do live in a flood zone....mmmmm I will keep one on hand just in case

Floodzone???? That water would have to come awfully high to get his place, nearly 100ft. Keep one on hand anyways.

Floodzone???? That water would have to come awfully high to get his place, nearly 100ft. Keep one on hand anyways.
Hey they said this could never happen either....can't blame a guy for wishful thinking....
saddledome-flood-photos-calgary.jpg

I love their Enviro-Masochism spot. Nobody else has the balls to print this stuff. To each his own...

View attachment 233463

And they just did this too. That’s no show pony and they printed it.
Must be running out of "no, this was the last Hemi 'Cuda convertible made on a Thursday in 1971" cars. I'm an easy six months behind in my thumbing through the pages. How can every car be so over the top?

Must be running out of "no, this was the last Hemi 'Cuda convertible made on a Thursday in 1971" cars. I'm an easy six months behind in my thumbing through the pages. How can every car be so over the top?
They’ve been doing a lot more of the big cars lately. That Rob guy is out with us in the trenches. I see him working at the two SoCal Flings and I think both, wow must be a nice job to have & glad I’m not you working today at the same time.
They’ve been printing non restored originals waaaay before it became trendy. I think they got sued over the use of the term survivor a way back too.

Yep, here he is at Carlisle...

View attachment 233493
Yeah same guy that has had the wool pulled over his eyes on anything he can't verify though GG. ie. B or E body.
Same guy scratching his head as to why the fender tags on a Lynch Rd car we're found hanging in dash and not on fender apron in a 71 Bee, meanwhile almost leaning on a 68 Imp crown coupe 1 of 2000+ ever made.
Yeah he is a Mopar guy as long as the VIN starts with B, J, X, R
Us?

Yep, here he is at Carlisle...

View attachment 233493

Is he the guy in the police restraints?

And I love all of the California misconceptions. I wish more had them, then maybe so many people wouldn't want to move here. The biggest problem here is that there are too many people. Go back home everyone and leave this California native in peace. :stop: :):)

PS: But don't forget - this IS where the car culture started! :steering:

Back