Take your classic cars if you have to evacuate

PA got smart, the car is already monitoring itself OBD2, the emission test is plug in, if your check engine light is not on you pass. 95 down still get a sniffer test and all the old stuff is just visual, hopefully done by a blind mechanic. Throw a antique plate on it and nobody ever has to look at it.
So glad MN got rid of that BS, it was only in the Minneapolis/St.Paul metro, so if you lived out of the suburbs, it didn't matter if your car ran on coal. And most of the money went to a California company, so it didn't generate any money for the state.

Last edited:
So glad MN got rid of that BS, it was only in the Minneapolis/St.Paul metro, so if you lived out of the suburbs, it didn't matter if your car ran on coal. And most of rh money went to a California company, so it didn't generate any money for the state.
Hey Az had photo radar that $$$ went to some #%$& hole in Australia LOL. Govt whores will do anything for a dollar.

In Az they have different color tags if youre registered outside of a smog county but if you’re working in one with the non smog tags lord help you. They had cops cruising parking lots looking for the wrong colored tags. Believe it or not Az is less car friendly than Calif and that’s a hard thing to pull off. They even smog jet skis.

I want to get classic cars allowed in the carpool lane w single occupant on the ballot. With all the bat S#|+ crazy stuff that passed this last election I think they’ll vote yes on anything.

Here’s some of the mags we were talking about.

380DD9D6-26A7-4A31-A5A7-8CE6441DB0CE.jpeg

Number 1 I think.

8927BA02-41A6-4ABE-9B0A-EC62E3FB12E6.jpeg

Great stuff inside this one.

B798A556-1D73-4B28-B6C6-A3C335536F39.jpeg

Hey Az had photo radar that $$$ went to some #%$& hole in Australia LOL. Govt whores will do anything for a dollar.

In Az they have different color tags if youre registered outside of a smog county but if you’re working in one with the non smog tags lord help you. They had cops cruising parking lots looking for the wrong colored tags. Believe it or not Az is less car friendly than Calif and that’s a hard thing to pull off. They even smog jet skis.

I want to get classic cars allowed in the carpool lane w single occupant on the ballot. With all the bat S#|+ crazy stuff that passed this last election I think they’ll vote yes on anything.
This should help... spin it that your "gross polluter vehicle" will spew less CO2 into the atmosphere that way... maybe tell the tree huggers that the new rule will require the old stuff to use them in the name of environmental consciousness...

Last edited:
They were going to do the Dyno/roller test here a long time ago. They had old gas stations converted, then state govt stopped it. It would have been a nightmare.
In 94/95 before I left for good... PA had built a brand new steel building in Carnegie of Idlewild or Bell ave... the place has changed enough I can't identify which one it is now. IDK for sure, but rumor had it the dynos were leased/purchased and installed and it was ready to go. They advertised in the Press offering training and McDonalds wages... and as I understand it, had already hired and trained their first crews before Cali beat the EPA in the Supreme Court about this... Like most states, PA did a last minute revision and abandon the centralized testing on the west side of the state... I heard they did open stations on the east side (philly). Brilliant to drop it at that point as I understand they were into it several Million per location by that time. None of it mattered much to me, I entered 1996 in FL where they gave up I/M testing altogether.

I hate when the CA started the whole thing. They also pretty much killed the damn hobby also, with the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law which was intended to clean up the air.
When I was in the Navy my 1969 Barracuda still had the /6 in it. I bought it only running on 4 cylinders, figured out that someone jacked up the firing order, put that back and tumed it up. Found vacuum advance disconnected, hmmmm now wonder it gets crap MPG.
Went to get it smogged and uh-oh violation vacuum advance is connected. In order to comply I had to disconnect the vacuum advance and have a sticker placed on dash and windshield that it was NOx compliant. I seriously doubt a /6 was pinging away at steady cruise creating excess NOx and the piss poor fuel mileage was burning or not burning more gasoline. How is running more fuel through a gasoline engine producing less pollutants. Painting with a broad bush by putting my /6 in the same category as a Hemi car just because of model year. Whatever, I'm sure it's better now, but the rationale for killing off the performance of a economy car that can do, very practically 10-15,000 a year just to kill some NOx gasses from a high compression tempramental car in the same model year that would be lucky to be used a few thousand miles.
Rant over!

Man, It’s one of the few things better about being in Calif vs Az. In Az we’d swap to a rigged up aFB once a year to pass the emissions test. Old cars are every year tested and the standards are from neverland. That carb was leanest jets & secondary blocked off and it would make any engine pass. Not like sky hi CO and pass Nox or visa versa that usually happens. The other problem was they did away with us feather footing thru the test “ for safety “ now they drive your car on the rollers and try to fail you.

I loved the look on their faces when they’d floor your obviously cammed and breathed on ride only to have it do nothing when they floored it. Not once did they not ask me if it was broken. I’d alway just say well did it pass ??? F ‘em it’s just a money grab. Out in Calif old cars are exempt because it would cost them more than it’s worth and they make it up in spades at the DMV with reg fees. $18 a year for tags in Az and $150 in Calif.

Sucks.

Do you have to test emissions of all cars there? In Finland cars older tan 1978 are free from that kind of testing.

God bless Michigan.

As long as it runs and thus doesn't obstruct 120,000 lb steel hauler, it's legal!

1322323666_edit_edit.jpg

IMG-20141028-00335_zps503f748e.jpg

1303079652.jpg

Do you have to test emissions of all cars there? In Finland cars older tan 1978 are free from that kind of testing.
No just the new ones. They plug it in and car tells the state network that it is running fine. 1995 and earlier still get the stinger in the tailpipe but that should be going away because the machines that can do that test are breaking and not being fixed.
Old stuff is no real test, supposed to be visual.
I agree with you Carmine no insp needed. It's a scam and what I like to refer to as mechanic welfare system. You send in your and your shops paperwork and the public will keep your lights on with guaranteed work.

380dd9d6-26a7-4a31-a5a7-8ce6441db0ce-jpeg.jpg

This isn't the magazine I was thinking of.

I did a search and it's MoPerformance. These are'85 to '91 issues. I'll bet I have some in the attic.
s-l1600.jpg

In Az it’s every stinking year - with made up averaged standards. They divided the hemi by the leaning tower of power timesed by 10 and said that’s the number.

Out here in Kalifornia I have no idea where the testing is done. Company truck used up before I have to go and my wife does her evil car. My 2014 Silverado has 220k and counting...

One trans - multiple recalls (ball hitch cracked off ???) and about 25 sets of brakes. I’ve been known to overload it a tad sometimes.

Ahhh I remember that one. Man so many went broke when they decided print was dead due to the internet. LOL I buy more now than ever !!!!
That one went down before the internet. They had distribution problems that didn't get them on every newsstand and some other issues.

Back