Temp gauge question.

When warmed up and at operating temperature,using a laser heat gun point it to the upper rad hose just above the thermostat.
Compare that to the gauge.
As mentioned as well you can install an aftermarket temp gauge.
Since my car has idiot lights..I rely on the hand held laser temp gun.
Besides if your car has a B or RB engine they run on the warm side anyways.

I never tested it with 12 volts. I grounded the sender wire and the needle went up to H like it should. I've tried 3 different sending units with no luck. When I've tested the resistance of the sending unit I keep getting open loop cold or hot. Again it has a 180 stat and the heat blows nice and hot. After putting a new fusible link I haven't had anymore electric issues.

20190107_160744.jpg

Last edited:
The pic is as high as the gauge will go. Checked with my laser gun and was 170 at the thermostat housing. Again the old gauge was always right in the middle. Gas gauge is still fine.

It’s likely correct if it’s running at 170. You have a baseline now so that you can monitor the temp going forwar. This might be a little on the low side. Try a new thermostat to see what it does.

Actually seeing the gauge in the pic is nice. Thank you. It is at normal operating temp. Sure it may read higher in summer months.....that is when the laser gun really comes in handy.

Some parts stores not knowing our C's can accidently sell you a sender for a HOT light instead for a real temp gauge.
They work the same in principle but read differently.

I'm glad to know it's showing right then. I'm guessing my old (original to the car) gauge was wearing out. Thinking back now sometimes in summer it would be at the H end of the normal range during a hot day even though the laser gun said 180-190ish. The thermostat in it is a Mr Gasket high flow which was all I could get at the time but have read a lot of bad reviews for them so I would like to change it out. Napa only offers 160 or 195. Would there be any issues running a 195 thermostat in this? It's a 383 all original 85,000 miles. Oh and the sending units I got are Standard TS17 and TS18 which are for the gauge.

No it shouldn’t. Most engines are designed to operate at the higher temps. Operating at lower temps is not the best. A higher temp thermostat will not cause overheating as once it gets to temp it is wide open anyways.

Glad it all worked out.
Ask for a Stand thermostat.

My 383 is cold blooded since I blocked off the heat crossover passage and have an electric choke. It is happier when at 195 and up.

For reference I'm going to post a couple pics with my temp reading from july

The far mark after the normal range which I assume is supposed to be H maxed was 200F. End of normal range was 180F.

sketch-1547011727326.png

This is where the gauge maxes out. With the old gauge when the thermostat opened it go this far than back to the middle. Again I'm thinking my old gauge was just worn out. The pic I used is again of the new gauge with the car fully warmed up.

sketch-1547011727823.png

The maximum reading at H should be around 240-245 degrees. 200-210 can still be considered normal operating temp for some engines.
At Carlisle the Boab crept up to 230 stuck in traffic for 90 minutes and did not boil over. Driving on US interstates in July heat she ran 210.

I found a service bulletin about the temp gauge marks with numbers on them and wow my original one was way off. Thank you again everyone for the help.

Back