The 383

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This post is my post no. 383; therefore, I think its appropriate to say something significant about the Chrysler 383 cu. in. engine. So here goes. . .

Years ago, I had a friend who owned a '63 Dodge max wedge two-door with an aluminum front end and all the drag race setup that came with that car from Chrysler / Dodge. He frequently raced the car, and I usually went along as a pit crew guy. We didn't have many big wins, but we had a lot of fun.

Since my friend was having such a good time with his max wedge Dodge, I thought, at the time, I would get a '62 Dodge or Plymouth and set it up to race in the NHRA stock class. I had heard about an option package that was available for the '62 Dodge (and Plymouth, I think) that was being campaigned very successfully on the drag strips around the country. The package was not a 413 or another 426 wedge option, but was a 383 engine with two four barrel carburetors, and of all things, a Clay Smith solid tappet cam. I wrote a letter to Chrysler inquiring about the existence of this setup and the details about it. I eventually received a letter back from Chrysler. . .

The letter I received was written by renowned Chrysler engineer Dick Maxwell. For those who haven't heard of him, check this link: http://www.semahof.com/Dick_Maxwell_2006_Inductee I still have the letter I sent and Dick Maxwell's response, but for the life of me I can't find them. I have been putting off writing this post, in hopes that the letters would turn up, and I could scan and post them here. I just can't put off posting any longer to the group, so when / if I find the letters, I'll post them to this thread.

The letter from Maxwell was like a letter from God. He acknowledged the fact that the 383 performance option had indeed been available, and he further elaborated on it by providing all the technical information associated with the option. This info included: all the clearances and engine build specs that should be employed for the bearings, piston rings, part numbers for the carburetors, etc. - And the Chrysler part number for that Clay Smith cam. Sorry this post has turned out to be a tease, but there it is. . .

I was never able to make my dream of racing a 383 Dodge with Maxwell's setup a reality. Work, life and family responsibilities always compromised the dream. But some day I'm gonna build that Dick Maxwell 383. . .

The 383 big block doesn't get enough props if you ask. The first one Ihad was in a 71' Sport Fury.....ran like a raped ape.

There was a local Mopar engine builder (Bob Henry) that raced Super Stock with a 62 Dart with the 383 w/ 2 4 bbls. He had some success, holding an IHRA record for a short time.

I looked for a picture and I'm surprised that I can't find one. It was a different looking car that launched really hard.. The locals gave it the nickname of the "Duck".

My 66 Satellite 383 4sp was bad *** ......... I had it when it was 6 months old. I remember a guy in my area who had a 66 Fairlane GT, 390 4sp who made it his goal to beat my Satellite ....... Never happened.

66 satellite (Large).jpg

383's were a lot of fun especially with a 4 speed .. more fun than a RB actually because they did rev higher and faster in stock form anyway

Back