The 727 is going to need some kind of rebuild

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got the leak taken care of, but now that it is topped off with fluid, it doesn't want to shift into first when it's cold. When it finally does engage, with a chirp of the tires, it runs fine. If I drive maybe at least 5 miles it works perfectly fine, if I put it back in park.

I have a guy lined up to work on it. Will I do any additional damage to the transmission or is the damage already done if I continue to drive it in the short run?

The good thing it is going to the upholstery shop tomorrow, but I don't want to pull the transmission the moment I get it back.

i know what your problem is, you haven't done any damage at all plus you can simply let the transmission fluid warm up before taking off it will alleviate the symptoms too. What is happening is the valves in the valve body have got glazing on them and are a bit sticky, they don't actuate at first until things warm up and clearances open up allowing them to move. The best way to fix this is when the transmission pan is removed to service it the valve body can be removed too, the valves then can be taken out and gently rolled on 1000 grit sandpaper to remove the glazing. You will find that after reassembly the transmission will be fine again.

i know what your problem is, you haven't done any damage at all plus you can simply let the transmission fluid warm up before taking off it will alleviate the symptoms too. What is happening is the valves in the valve body have got glazing on them and are a bit sticky, they don't actuate at first until things warm up and clearances open up allowing them to move. The best way to fix this is when the transmission pan is removed to service it the valve body can be removed too, the valves then can be taken out and gently rolled on 1000 grit sandpaper to remove the glazing. You will find that after reassembly the transmission will be fine again.

Wow thanks, I felt like it might be something bigger than that. You made my day. I have had the pan off twice now, third times a charm.:sSig_thanks:

was the leak from the pan or somewhere else?

I thought it was just the pan the first time I took the pan off, which was part of the leak, but it was the bushing for the shift linkage. It was dumping out a bunch of fluid after it sat for a while. Now not a drop.

Oops i forgot to ask, is the 727 in your car a cable selector unit or the pivot shaft style poking up through the case on the drivers side? Cable style 727s have a ring at the mount point on the drivers side of the front edge of the pan and that ring turns thus screwing the cable in and out a bit adjusting (fine tuning) its travel and thus the gear selection.

Oops i forgot to ask, is the 727 in your car a cable selector unit or the pivot shaft style poking up through the case on the drivers side? Cable style 727s have a ring at the mount point on the drivers side of the front edge of the pan and that ring turns thus screwing the cable in and out a bit adjusting (fine tuning) its travel and thus the gear selection.

Excuse my ignorance, this is all new to me, but I believe I have the pivot shaft style. It is the 727 out of my '66 300. I has a center console shifter, not a shifter on the steering column.

Well thats good, then the original diagnosis stands i had assumed you had the shaft style from the beginning but decided to double check, cheers.

I have had a couple of old mopars that would do this,what I was told is the converter drains back into the trans,so I would put it in nuteral for a minuite or so and fill it back up then it would drive just fine,

I have had a couple of old mopars that would do this,what I was told is the converter drains back into the trans,so I would put it in nuteral for a minuite or so and fill it back up then it would drive just fine,

100% Truth.

Yup - x3 on it's draining back. The convertor will only fill in neutral or in a gear. Not in Park. So start it, stick it in Neutral for a few seconds, and then go into whatever you need. When my truck sits for a week or two it does it too.

Back