The Buy American Thread

For more insight on how we lost the manufacturing in the USA read the book the Factory Man. By John Bassett 3rd CEO of Vaughn-Bassett he travels to China to find the factory that's knocking off a dresser and selling here for less than the cost of the lumber. He then goes in front of Congress to testify.

I was on line at Kmart awhile back when some old lady holding a box of toothpaste shouted out. (Colgate toothpaste made in China)? (My god don’t we make anything here anymore)? View attachment 502174
A word to the wise comes from a very old documentary I saw about makeup, skin care lotions, shampoo and other health care supplies made in China that you either ingest or apply to your body, one word... FDA. This gooberment talking head on the show says that China products don't go through the ridged FDA regulations as products manufactured in the USA do, and I'm talking about everything applied to your skin/body not just drugs. I can remember people that worked at the big Hawaiian Tropic Sun Tan product factory (which too many around the Daytona Beach area was a very good job to have) talking about the stringent manufacturing process involving hospital like plant cleanliness, ie everything stainless steel, enclosed clean rooms where anyone entering needed to be gowned and hair netted for the mixing or packaging of the products. Most commented that it was way more cleaner than any of our tourist chain restaurant kitchens here.

Basically the FDA spokesperson, now granted this show I watched was decades ago and maybe quality control has improved (I doubt it) said too not buy or use anything from China that you apply to your skin as the ingredients could be a poor non regent lab grade substitute and cause skin rash or burns. One such case long ago was the Central America cough syrup hospital death case where 100's died before they figured out that the food grade Glycol (which is used in a lot of products like toothpaste) shipped too Central America for the manufacture of the cough syrup in Central America from China was actually barrels of industrial grade Glycol as used in car anti-freeze, and we all know what happens when you ingest that. In the legal case that followed, China prosecuted the head guy of the supply business and publicly hanged him for bringing 'Dishonor' to China.

I remember coming across a YouTube instructional video on how to do business with China manufactures is that not only do you have to have your own team of quality control inspectors on site to keep on top of things but also the head of the USA company has to go and meet with the head of the manufacturing company as it is a cultural honor system with them. If you don't they take it as disrespect and you are just some other foreigner on the Internet (Alibaba) and it opens you to being ripped off without a care on their part.

For more insight on how we lost the manufacturing in the USA read the book the Factory Man. By John Bassett 3rd CEO of Vaughn-Bassett he travels to China to find the factory that's knocking off a dresser and selling here for less than the cost of the lumber. He then goes in front of Congress to testify.
Great book, and disgusting as to how lazy and greedy people are that run corporate America. Walmart at their yearly supplier's meeting would teach their suppliers how to outsource their products that Walmart sold.

Sending out these ugly factory ford aluminum truck wheels for scrap. FoMoCo on one side. Made in China on the other.

981D4B21-1E84-42F5-ADA2-8F9E43335B7E.jpeg

ACD03C3F-0DAD-4B37-942F-819F01AF61FF.jpeg

Back