The Chevy Owner's Dummy Guide to C-bodies.

You know what they say. Once it's on the internet...
Yup...
35.jpg

Appreciate the clarification. Honestly I don't know how I made that mistake and it is absolutely worthy of ridicule.

The research I did for the article seems to indicate that there's some ongoing debate as to whether or not the Imperial was a D body or C body in 1965. In any case, we'll toss those Fury shots, as we did with the Imperial. Thanks.

Chrysler did what some thought was a confusing thing in this downsizing era .. they extended the C body "Monaco" and "Fury" names to the midsize "B" platform. At the same time, the C bodies got the names "Royal Monaco" and "Gran Fury".

A common mistake for the average citizen to just go by the badging. Enthusiasts sites, through their publishing/editing/"tribal knowledge" processes, however do not get this platform info wrong. That was the basis for my comment directed at the "site".

These are the B bodies in the piece:

View attachment 90167 View attachment 90168

It looks like the 1965 "D" body Imperial photo was taken down. That is also a common mistake and many "expert" sources often mix this up though. The C (unibody) and D (body on frame) platforms were running together in 1965 and both were "full size" vehicles.

Last edited:
Appreciate the clarification. Honestly I don't know how I made that mistake and it is absolutely worthy of complaint.

The research I did for the article seems to indicate that there's some ongoing debate as to whether or not the Imperial was a D body or C body in 1965. In any case, we'll toss those Fury shots, as we did with the Imperial. Thanks.

It happens Brad. But in your business, everybody gets to see it -- and comment upon it -- good or bad.

As others have said in response to your thread, (1) members here own some of the finest examples of C (and D and other full-size mopars we follow) bodies left in the world, (2) somebody here is gonna be able to answer ANY C body question you may have, and (3) keep the chart in post 17 for future reference.

Good luck and thanks for taking commando1's invitation to participate here and hopefully again in the future :)

Last edited:
Brad, quick one.

You could delete the B body Monaco and Fury, OR label or refer to them as B bodies, since in your article text you pointed out that some of the venerable full size C-body nameplates wound up on "other platforms".

Despite their efforts, sales of the big, thirsty C-Body vehicles did not meet the company’s expectations, and the mid-1970s saw a consolidation of the lineup, with many models either being moved to other platforms, merged with similar offerings within the C-Body roster, or dropped altogether.
And I think you got a little nit in the next line in that paragraph .. "soldier" vs "solider" -- to take a peek at? :)

thanks again.

Just to clarify...are you calling the fender tag a data plaque?

Are you saying cars with recall wheels have W23 coded on the fender tag?

Does this include cars from all three C body plants?

Yes, on the fender tag and build sheet...sadly Chrysler Corp was inconsistent in documenting options on fender tags for some reason (like the A12 option on Hurst 300s).

Actually you chart is still off Stan, I think all Imps to 73 are considered D bodies with up to 68 being the biggest separation in parts. Also I think the Gran Fury nameplate picked up when the VIP name went away.

Nope: D bodies were full frame cars...ended in 66...from 67-73 Imperials were C bodies with a stretched stub frame.

Well +1 buddy for having the balls to own up to the mistakes and join the site. Maybe there is hope for the younger generation after all. :thumbsup:

That said, I have some issue with this part of the article:

The C-Body catalog had proven so successful in the years leading up to the mid-1970s that, despite economic turmoil and an auto industry reeling from a one-two punch of federal regulation and skyrocketing gas prices, Chrysler decided to embark on the costly venture of redesigning both the C-Body’s styling and the chassis itself. Despite their efforts, sales of the big, thirsty C-Body vehicles did not meet the company’s expectations,

The advanced planning for new '74 Cs would have begun as soon as the 69's hit the showrooms. All was not yet doom and gloom, at least in terms of gas prices and the EPA. You can see the effect of increasing safety awareness regarding the "unibelt" (one piece, 3-point) belts, the massive bumpers (more of an insurance thing) and finally the center-mounted glovebox with it's huge, padded open area behind the usual glovebox location (preparation for passenger airbags). But the fuel crisis (oil embargo) didn't hit until these cars were in the showroom (Fall '73). So using the word "despite" isn't quite accurate.. Big car re-designs were essentially business-as-usual in 1970.

On a related 1974-78 note, I can appreciate the Bluesmobile as an iconic Formal-Era C-body. But I think there were a few more interesting standouts/features from that era that would have made good graphics...

fury-cutaway.jpg

Some of the most awesome interiors ever:
imperial1974leather.jpg

And the last real 4dr htp in the industry. Last 2dr htp Mopar, (maybe the industry?)

New-Yorker-5-685x458.jpg

I have to admit I was a tad miffed that the focus of the Formals was that the Bluesmobile was one. With Formals being the epitome of so many things to Formal owners, all were neglected so as to appeal to the uninformed masses.
That is the equivalent of saying you have done an informative writeup on Ford Broncos and only mentioning O.J.

Last edited:
A 74-75 Imperial 4 wheel disc brake plug would have made me excited... and agree that a pointy nosed Formal belongs in there too.

Yes, on the fender tag and build sheet...sadly Chrysler Corp was inconsistent in documenting options on fender tags for some reason (like the A12 option on Hurst 300s).

Do you have a pic of a tag with W23 on it?

OK. I've never seen W wheel codes on a fender tag. I thought maybe you might have one.

Back