The crappy years? There were some cool Mopar cars from 1975-1991 (pre-viper), so list 'em!

There is hope. I'm wondering who the five idiots are who voted against it?

From Motortrend site:

"A new bill proposed by California Senator Ted Gaines (R-El Dorado) that would change the California smog exemption year cutoff from 1975 to 1980 passed through the Senate Committee on Transportation and Housing earlier this week. The next step for SB 1239 is to be approved by the Senate Committee on Appropriations.

The bill passed the first committee in a bipartisan vote of six votes for and five against.
If passed, the bill would exempt cars prior to the 1981 model year from California's biennial smog-check inspections and would open the door for non-CARB (California Air Research Board) drivetrain modifications."
Living in Fresno, you probably know this. Since California is now the king of car culture, Cali will restrict classic cars. We just don't know how. They said they will vote on it in 2024. Worst is making "Zero emissions zones", which would include almost all residential areas. Instead, they'll probably make all cars take a restrictive emission test. Most old cars would fail meaning you can't drive it until it passes. If successful (profitable), it will spread to other states.
Report: California Looking To Restrict Travel For Classic Cars - The Auto Wire

Got to say that the '78-79 Magnum XE has always been interesting. There is one close just went up, got me thinking.
Screenshot_20231017-142444.png

Came across a YT video on the '82 'Chairman of the Board' Imperial that was spotted at Carlisle (video taken at Carlisle too).

Living in Fresno, you probably know this. Since California is now the king of car culture, Cali will restrict classic cars. We just don't know how. They said they will vote on it in 2024. Worst is making "Zero emissions zones", which would include almost all residential areas. Instead, they'll probably make all cars take a restrictive emission test. Most old cars would fail meaning you can't drive it until it passes. If successful (profitable), it will spread to other states.
Report: California Looking To Restrict Travel For Classic Cars - The Auto Wire
I do not believe that Ca is king of car culture. They make it too hard to deal with anything even remotely newer, statewide, not just counties or metro areas. When I lived there in the 80s and old cars were not exempt. You had to pass a fairly easy test as long as you were not waaay over cammed and knew a little about tuning it could be brought into spec. The really ignorant part was your brand new Holley was not OEM so FAIL even if the pipe was clean. This is were Ca. goes off the rails. Clean exhaust is clean exhaust, you pass, and we breathe easier.
On your other point about testing old cars.
1. Most of the counties in a lot of states have no emission testing on new cars so now they are going to buy or ask garages to buy test equipment for old cars with very low per overall numbers?
2. 1996 and up cars in most states that are emission tested are just plug in to OBD2 port. Where does that get plugged into on my '68 Charger? See above for who's buying equipment.
3. Summit racing is ~40 miles south of you and Jegs is north of your capitol, you think Oh. is going to piss on those revenue streams to be like Ca. Doubtful
3. The will have zero emission zones that you can't drive through on a Wednesday afternoon, but will be granted a exemption when someone wants a car cruise held there for some charity BS.
No everyone does not follow Ca. People from Ca want to believe that. Most states do not have the revenue stream to support such diminished return ideas. They sound great, but can't be funded. No money, no policy.

I still want a '81-83 Imperial.

Came across a YT video on the '82 'Chairman of the Board' Imperial that was spotted at Carlisle (video taken at Carlisle too).

Was this Sinatra's car? Funny story - The new Imperial given to Frank broke down on I-5 in less than a year. Before cell phones were common, Frank didn't have one, so he had to walk to nearest phone with people probably saying "Hey, that guy with the broken down car looks a lot like Sinatra". After this contract, I don't think Sinatra agreed to do another commercial for Chrysler. Beautiful looking car though.

Maybe not a Mopar product but Chrysler bought Jeep in 1987, so good enough. The Wagoner had a loooooong run using most of the same frame and body parts from 1963 to 1991. Pre "SUV" designation, It was the only "truck" which had luxury back then, so yeah that niche market had no rival.
130709931-3.jpg

Maybe not a Mopar product but Chrysler bought Jeep in 1987, so good enough. The Wagoner had a loooooong run using most of the same frame and body parts from 1963 to 1991. Pre "SUV" designation, It was the only "truck" which had luxury back then, so yeah that niche market had no rival.
View attachment 626902
These things go for HUGE bucks today!

Back