The crappy years? There were some cool Mopar cars from 1975-1991 (pre-viper), so list 'em!

Haven't seen a pic of a 78 LeBaron yet! I had a fully optioned silver/red int back in high-school.

Still have it.
Here you go! Stole it off the Internet:

1665593674445.png

However, personally, I like the wagons! Especially the 1980 version!

1665593747109.png

I saw a '78 Plymouth Fire Arrow rolling down I-40 a couple of days ago. Looked showroom-fresh! Those had the Mitsu 2.6L Silent-Shaft four-banger with the five-speed manual transmission. Pretty good performers in the day.

Last edited:
My brother gets a lot of those with his 79 roadrunner. Was following him in my 69 to a car show in a little town north of us. This guy on the sidewalk was was jumping up and down yelling as my brother passed. When I got to him I heard in say "Wait that's not a Mustang"

20220917_084828.jpg

New to me 1977 Dodge Monaco, Sat in a warehouse since 1981. When the original owner passed, only turning 41,000 it picked up 2 forklift dings. Got the 318 running again, a radiator from an 81 gran fury will replace the original for now.
20230611_142644.jpg
20230611_142916.jpg
p_da2bddb43206db967ce868f49508fc6a.jpg

Did someone say Volare Road Runner ?
Here goes. I bought this car new, June 30, 1979. I worked nights, weekends and all my summers during high school to buy a car after I graduated. Never been winter driven, only has minor paint touch ups. 110k miles. It has the heavy duty suspension, 318 with a Thermoquad, and had California emission package, until the warranty was up. Also has the factory optional aluminum wheels. It still has the much feared and misunderstood Lean Burn System on it since day one, and has never given me any trouble. If I keep it under 70, running only on the primaries , I get 20 mpg on the highway. I worked hard to get it, and took good care of it, because I knew I’d never have another.
It sat on the dealers lot from January 79, until June when I bought it. Paid $6064.
This picture is from 2020.
It’s hard to believe that at the end of this month, I’ll have owned this car
44 years.

IMG_1587.jpeg

Last edited:
Did someone say Volare Road Runner ?
Here goes. I bought this car new, June 30, 1979. I worked nights, weekends and all my summers during high school to buy a car after I graduated. Never been winter driven, only has minor paint touch ups. 110k miles. It has the heavy duty suspension, 318 with a Thermoquad, and had California emission package, until the warranty was up. Also has the factory optional aluminum wheels. It still has the much feared and misunderstood Lean Burn System on it since day one, and has never given me any trouble. If I keep it under 70, running only on the primaries , I get 20 mpg on the highway. I worked hard to get it, and took good care of it, because I knew I’d never have another.
It sat on the dealers lot from January 79, until June when I bought it. Paid $6064.
This picture is from 2020.
It’s hard to believe that at the end of this month, I’ll have owned this car
44 years.

View attachment 602321
Those were good looking cars!

Here are some malaise-era cars from Carlisle 2023. I really enjoyed looking at these vehicles, not something you see every day.... or hardly even at any car show.

IMG_1678.JPEG

IMG_1677.JPEG

IMG_1687.JPEG

IMG_1689.JPEG

IMG_1690.JPEG

IMG_1698.JPEG

IMG_1713.JPEG

more....

This Cordoba was a little deeper yellow than the one above.

IMG_1714.JPEG

IMG_1709.JPEG

IMG_1717.JPEG

IMG_1711.JPEG

I'm really beginning to like these Magnums after seeing a few in person finally. Sharp looking cars....

IMG_1715.JPEG

IMG_1719.JPEG

1981 (R-Body) New Yorker:

IMG_1812.JPEG

IMG_1811.JPEG

Last edited:
At least the Malaise Cars are being displayed. Some day perhaps K Cars will be respected.
My ’84 Aries station wagon had its share of flaws—the kind that got people switching to Toyotas (driveability issues from the fuel system, and mechanical parts that weren’t very durable—the 5-speed transmission for example). But as temperamental as it was, it was very good at turning gasoline into kinetic energy. The car was peppy, but delivered about 40 mpg on the highway. The interior was comfortable and inviting. The styling (as opposed to a post-2010s Toyota) didn’t require throwing a cover on it to keep from frightening nearby children.

I actually miss it at times.

Last edited:
Now that's really rare, a '74 Dodge Monaco that's not distressed and painted black and white.:rofl:

I looked at a 75 Charger Daytona that needed paint once. And I've always liked the styling of the Magnums.

Back