The culprate

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been suspicious that this was the cause of my fuel delivery issues and I finally took some time to pull it out for a look. It's over 5/16" shorter than it should be. I guess I didn't pull it out to check when I had the engine out last year. I only hope I haven't done any damage to the new cam by running it this way. If I did I guess it will be time for an electric pump but I think it'll be ok as it still runs even with the rod as short as it is. I've been running Brad Penn since I've had it so I can only imagine that this has been happening over a long period of time.

image.jpg

Wow, that's quite a difference in length. Glad you were able to figure it out!

Glenn

I've seen lot's of this described on FBBO. Soft metal on the push rod and not the correct oil / lubes being culprit. That's probably the original push rod though right?

Glad you found the problem

What is the correct length? Mine is stumbling about 70 MPH. Was blaming the pump but this is worth checking when the pump is out.

3 1/4" is stock length and yes it is the original and has close to 140K miles on it. I never had any problems on the highway with it, it was at idle or was hard to start. I put a good one in it today but still have to finish putting it back together before my final report. I'm sure the report is going to be good though and the lesson for the day will be to check the length of your rod...

LOL! Yeah, I knew the minute I read that that somebody would pick up on it. :laughing7: Speaking of little willie...

this one brings back quite a few memories. :laughing5: :)

On a serious note, it is kind of scary to realize that all of that metal went into the pan. I guess the oil filter stops it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
WILL WILL WILL. When did you EVER know me to be serious? Too many thingz in life are too short including life itself. Didn't yeah ever wonder why mustache ridez got so popular? Now yeah know

Thankz 'Ole Pal Commando1. Beginnin' tah wonder if I waz the only one thatz been on ah differen't planet all these yearz. Bet that most folkz don't know why they built conestoga wagonz with that big boxed in pocket in front the driverz chair either. Weren't just tah rest there feet on yeah know. Their ladyz could hide in there and privately treat their man to ah little rollin' delite. lol

Maybe it's a virus?

Seems like there's been a lot of this going around recently.

This was what wound up keeping me in the garage for a large part of the summer:

Pushrods.jpg

Pushrods.jpg

Back