The dash clean up thanks to Ross's encouragement(Title correction I was on serious drugs earlier)

I knew as soon as I saw the for sale ad way back in 1991... and it nearly slipped out of my grasp.

I didn't have the dough, and begged the owner not to sell, and hold onto it for me, telling him how I was going to take care of it right. He agreed, and garaged it for 3 years.

I got a call one night where he said "my daughter is turning 16 and wants to drive the Monaco. It will kill her. Either come and get it now or I'm going to put it up for sale."

I scraped the cash together (bank loan etc), and took a bus out to rural Saskatchewan and drove it 2,500 miles home.

Sorry to hijack the thread...

I knew as soon as I saw the for sale ad way back in 1991... and it nearly slipped out of my grasp.

I didn't have the dough, and begged the owner not to sell, and hold onto it for me, telling him how I was going to take care of it right. He agreed, and garaged it for 3 years.

I got a call one night where he said "my daughter is turning 16 and wants to drive the Monaco. It will kill her. Either come and get it now or I'm going to put it up for sale."

I scraped the cash together (bank loan etc), and took a bus out to rural Saskatchewan and drove it 2,500 miles home.

Sorry to hijack the thread...
Just simply a FOR SALE ad.
No Mecum.
Assumably no internet.
Just simply a For Sale ad.

How did you know its authenticity?

Tom, I have a gob of dash parts out of a 66 Fury station wagon. Let me know if you need anything and I can see if I have it.

Just simply a FOR SALE ad.
No Mecum.
Assumably no internet.
Just simply a For Sale ad.

How did you know its authenticity?
National Old Car Auto Trader. The ad had a pic, and stated options that were unusual - 440, 4 speed, power antenna... so I called the ad and spoke to the owner. I asked for information off the fender tag and ran it through Nigel at National Moparts, as understandably I was fairly skeptical. It checked out that far...

After getting possession I tried to get documentation from Chrysler Canada without much luck.

It was featured in a major photoshoot along with my turquoise Monaco and the T&C Wagon in a now defunct Canadian magazine called Canadian Classics around 1998 or so...

About a year after that I received a letter in the mail from the original owner, who when he saw the mag article knew it was his car and searched me out. Again, from what he said in his letter had me skeptical, so I called him up. There were several owner modifications not shown in the magazine article, and he described them all. Bingo.

His subsequent letters and such have provided much more info that bears out all of the info on the fender tag.

Last edited:
Back