The demise of NASCAR

I actually caught the end of the brickyard race, first one I watched this year. Turned out to be a waste of time.

I used to be a real serious fan, then Dale Earnhardt was lost, my driver from the start. Just wasn't the same for me after that.

Then the rules started changing more often than my socks.

No more racing to the line when the caution flag came out.

And the most asinine thing they ever did was the multiple attempts at a green flag finish. It's now called overtime.

I have no interest in watching the Daytona 503 or 507, etc.

IMHO, the statistics, standings and overall racing strategy cannot be compared to the previous incarnation.

How many Daytona 504's did Petty and Earnhardt win?

John
Richard of coarse. Kyle was about as competitive as Danica Patrick.

thanks bob , again just stuff i had , and found a use for it , lol . ya far cry from this to that ate it , lol . just a few fasteners later , right . lol .

00h0h_fsSM312BOVH_600x450.jpg

DSC00803.JPG

The only racing I go to anymore is ProMod racing with www.NEOPMDA.com.

These guys pretty much sponsor themselves and are damn fast. They work on their on cars mostly with family and friends.

I would rather see these guys race then NASCAR or NHRA any day.

capitol-flyer-august-web-version.jpg

These guys race a full 1/4 mile and not a sissy 1/8th mile like a lot of other ProMod clubs race!!!

After Earnhart was killed, NASCAR racing just wasn't the same anymore. When they instituted "The Chase", it was all over for me. . .
That Chase is a joke, if your gonna have a playoff have one. Just like all the rest of the sports. If you suck and didn't make the playoffs go home.
In F1 they have a 110 percent rule. If you suck so bad in qualifying that your not within 110 percent of the pole. They send you packing... see you next race.

That "Lucky Dog" thing is about as gay as it comes too. If you or your pit crew or team principal screw up and you fall a lap down, you can go back to the lead lap by somebody picking your bingo number out of the hopper? Really?
What joke!

That Chase is a joke, if your gonna have a playoff have one. Just like all the rest of the sports. If you suck and didn't make the playoffs go home.
In F1 they have a 110 percent rule. If you suck so bad in qualifying that your not within 110 percent of the pole. They send you packing... see you next race.

That "Lucky Dog" thing is about as gay as it comes too. If you or your pit crew or team principal screw up and you fall a lap down, you can go back to the lead lap by somebody picking your bingo number out of the hopper? Really?
What joke!
I believe you have to be the first car a lap down. What this rule did was make the lap cars have to race each other hard so they could be in position to take advantage of the "Lucky Dog" on the next caution.

For me in both NASCAR and NHRA, it was when Toyota came on the scene. Really a Toyota Hemi in NHRA, and the V8 they run in NASCAR has nothing to do with their production V8. A camry racecar...I shudder at the thought. Oh...and Ali Baba racing doesn't do a thing for me either.

I believe you have to be the first car a lap down. What this rule did was make the lap cars have to race each other hard so they could be in position to take advantage of the "Lucky Dog" on the next caution.
The Lucky Dog came when they took away racing for the yellow, often the leader if not contested would slow down and let lap down cars pass.

Personally I'd like to see them do away with yellow flag pitstops, when the yellow comes out the pits are closed as they are now but stay closed till the green comes back out.

Alan

The Lucky Dog came when they took away racing for the yellow, often the leader if not contested would slow down and let lap down cars pass.

Personally I'd like to see them do away with yellow flag pitstops, when the yellow comes out the pits are closed as they are now but stay closed till the green comes back out.

Alan
That's right. Now it is the first car a lap down. As for the pits being closed on cautions. That kinda already in place. That's the wave around rule. Lap cars have the option to not pit & be waved around making up 1 lap. Put on tail end of field. If a lap down car doe put under caution it stays in place. This helps faster cars that lost a lap early due to a tire problem & also helps cars that want to try to finish without pitting stretching fuel mileage. A lot of new tricks in the crew chiefs bad these days

What has happened is changing rules on the fly to benefit certain drivers (pooboy) and ignoring rules to benefit certain organizations (felonious motorsports) manipulating races for a desired outcome, yellow flags for mystery debris, stage racing which gives them those restarts they love and chnging the rules and restting the points after 26 races. Only a detemined number of teams now get to compete for the championship. Anyone else may as well not sho up as they cant improve their position above that number. And after 4 raes they eliminate some geams and reset the points again. Pure manipulation.
Then tjere is overtime. How can you have overtime when it is not a timed event?
Na$car is trying so hard to be like baseball and football they forgot about racing.
Na$car...WWE on wheels.

change is perpetual, no good thing last forever. Just indicative of what is happening around us.

This helps faster cars that lost a lap early due to a tire problem & also helps cars that want to try to finish without pitting stretching fuel mileage.
That's the problem. They shouldn't be helping anyone, If you have the wrong setup and overdrive your tires that's your problem, you blew it, if you try and stretch your fuel mileage to try and out think your competition that's your prerogative. If it works out fine if not, you blew it, you took a gamble and it didn't pan out so well. It's all a challenge for the crew chief and driver. If you have someone (NASCAR) stepping in and mucking it up by throwing bones to guys, just because, it just doesn't work. It's like with the cars... back in the day they drove what went through the air well. If you picked a car that's shaped like a brick you better have more engine. A more aerodynamic car not so much. But, no matter what they drove, they were all available at the dealership on Monday. That's what made it fun to watch. Nowadays you can't tell one from the other.

That's the problem. They shouldn't be helping anyone, If you have the wrong setup and overdrive your tires that's your problem, you blew it, if you try and stretch your fuel mileage to try and out think your competition that's your prerogative. If it works out fine if not, you blew it, you took a gamble and it didn't pan out so well. It's all a challenge for the crew chief and driver. If you have someone (NASCAR) stepping in and mucking it up by throwing bones to guys, just because, it just doesn't work. It's like with the cars... back in the day they drove what went through the air well. If you picked a car that's shaped like a brick you better have more engine. A more aerodynamic car not so much. But, no matter what they drove, they were all available at the dealership on Monday. That's what made it fun to watch. Nowadays you can't tell one from the other.
Well it's not that simple. NASCAR has always helped the teams. Even back in the day certain (factory teams) would be offered appearance money. Working with teams on Aero compliance. Etc. The wave around rule is a good thing. It's not a free pass. It keeps cars on the tail end of the lead lap from being right in front of the leaders. That was always confusing. Its not that they are trying to help anyone back to the front. They are trying to help slower cars to get out of the way

in drag racing if you don't get to the line in time , just put it on display or the trailer because your done .
Or go visit the buy back window haha. Been there a few times. I remember when some tracks wouldn't allow a split. Around here they all allow it now. These a guy here that has a black Mustang. He has Knight-Mare painted on the door. Damn good racer. Track Champion & wins a lot. Name is Rodney. Rodney never would split. Always wanted all the money. One day before the race I walked over to his trailer & talked with him. We always got along good. I got him to agree that he would split if I was in the semis that night. Well I ended up in the semis. Me & Rodney my buddy Dave in his Skylark & & some guy in a gold Monza I'd never seen before. The lane official came up to us & asked if we where splitting. I looked at Rodney & he reluctantly said yes. I did a fist pump. I looked at Dave & he smiled Knodding his head in agreement. Then to the dude in the Monza. He with a bit of arrogance said HELL NO & walked to his car. And that was that. Discussion over. I was paired against Daves Skylark & he got me on a holeshot. Rodney got the Monza & in the finals Dave somehow got Rodney who no longer wanted to split. Me & the Monza dude left with $75 bucks each. Rodney got $125 for runner up & ole Dave pocketed $800. I was pissed cause I finally got the Knight-Mare to split & some dude in a Monza screwed it up.

Back