The Great '66 300 2-dr Hardtop Roofline Debate

Greg B.

Reaction score
Remember a few weeks ago when Stan and I were wondering about why '66 300 2-doors had 2 different rooflines? I contacted the 300 Club, got their '66 advisor, and learned... something, but not much. Here is what he told me:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was a District Manager for Chrysler in 1966 and seem to remember that there were three roof treatments for the two door hardtops. The NY style was a rectangular type, the 300 with narrower width top and bottom while the Newport had a wider top. Now Canadian cars could have used the Newport body dressed up with 300 jewelry. I can only speak for US sold cars. The color attachment is the only known roof type we sold in 1966 as a 300.2 dr ht."

[/FONT] 300 roof types A (1280x931).jpg[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
Still a mystery, it seems.

300 roof types A (1280x931).jpg

I think it makes since that the Canadians might have 300 accessories on a Newport. I have a PDF file of the 1966 New Yorker, 300 and Newport side by side. I have never see the 2 different 2 door 300s. I can't upload the photos in PDF form.

Do you guys have pictures of the 2 different 1966 300 roof-lines? I presume it has to be a Newport or New Yorker roof-line.

I think it makes since that the Canadians might have 300 accessories on a Newport. I have a PDF file of the 1966 New Yorker, 300 and Newport side by side. I have never see the 2 different 2 door 300s. I can't upload the photos in PDF form.

Do you guys have pictures of the 2 different 1966 300 roof-lines? I presume it has to be a Newport or New Yorker roof-line.

Stan posted the 2 rooflines here: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...-roof-look-wrong&p=25142&viewfull=1#post25142

But according to what the guy from the 300 club is saying, he got the attribution backwards. The Newport style roofline may have been on the Canadian cars.

God is that a beautiful automobile!

Greg,
Thanks for investigating this confusing issue further. I find the whole roofline mystery intriguing.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I had a '66 New Yorker 2drht and the roofline/sailpanel was basically like the 4drht, with the drip rail continuing straight back to the rear window and the separated section (sailpanel) was covered with vinyl and the roof was painted.

I did have a '66 Newport 2drht also and the rear window was full width across the back and down to the dutchman panel, so it would seem each model had their own specific roof.

Which roof did the '65 300 have?

Last edited:
I agree it was backwards. My brother's Lynch Road '66 300 2 dr hdtp is parked in my barn. I just checked it and it has the same roof as the green car. The other roof looks the same as a '65 to me. Also, I have seen the "US-built" (green car) roof on a few '67 Furies.

I agree it was backwards. My brother's Lynch Road '66 300 2 dr hdtp is parked in my barn. I just checked it and it has the same roof as the green car. The other roof looks the same as a '65 to me. Also, I have seen the "US-built" (green car) roof on a few '67 Furies.

Very interesting. Can you post a few pictures?

Oh that's right yet another Bob!

But it IS a 440 six pak with a Dana 60, right?

That's a nice 300!

6 Pack and a Dana! Was it on the 1/4 mile a time or two?

I built it about 25 years ago and it could use a freshening, but it's still a turnkey driver that used to run high 13's at Milan Dragway. It was the Fox killer, lol!

Weighed in at 4852 lbs on the balance beam at Milan, with the tools and spare and jack out. Never dynode. I guess 450 horse or so. I don't even remember the cam specs. it was the biggest hydraulic that Comp Cams made at the time. 11.5 to 1 pistons and ported 906 heads with altered valve ratio. Amazing launch!!!

I built it about 25 years ago and it could use a freshening, but it's still a turnkey driver that used to run high 13's at Milan Dragway. It was the Fox killer, lol!

That's real cool! Is it a Dana 60 or the 9.25?

4.10 gears and I moved the springs inboard two inches. Also put in '67 Imperial leather seats and added a tilt column that I made from his original non-tilt and a '65 tilt unit. Custom springs made by Detroit Arc. It's really quite wicked! Console auto with A/C (compressor is off to accommodate the air cleaner.)

Back