The Great '66 300 2-dr Hardtop Roofline Debate

A few more bad cellphone pics

bob 078.jpgbob 082.jpgbob 083.jpgbob 095.jpg

bob 078.jpg

bob 082.jpg

bob 083.jpg

bob 095.jpg

I never knew any 66 300 2 door hardtops had the tapered roof. I actually like the tapered roof line better. Thats why I always liked the 65-66 Plymouth and Dodge 2 door hardtops and the 65 300 2 door hardtops better than the 66 300 2 door hardtop. I always thought it was interesting that Mopars sometimes weren't always consistant in design changes on the roofs. For example, the 67 C-body Dodge and Chrysler 4 door hardtops carried over the 66 4 door hardtop roof, while the 67 Fury 4 door hardtop got a new roof which was then shared with Dodge and Chrysler in 68. In the case of the 66 300 2 door hardtop, it seems strange that Chrysler would tool up to do a special roof for the 300 2 door hardtop knowing that it wouldn't be used for the redesigned 67 300. But then they re-used that 66 300 2 door hardtop roof on the 67-68 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop.

Some of the things that they did back then don't seem to make much sense from a manufacturing standpoint but they were making some really pretty cars. Who knows maybe stamping out a few different roof designs for short runs may not have been a big deal.
Bob, what was the Imperial like that those seats came out of?

It was anorher silver car, obviously with black interior. It was a fairly rusty car that I bought for a winter beater. It was my first Inperial and I fell in love with the ride. There's still nothing like it (except my '72, which is better...) The guy was asking $3K and I beat him down to $400 (those were the days- mid eighties) and drove it home from Detroit. I drove it year round for about 3 years. It was a great car except for one thing: it would constantly foul out #7 spark plug. I finally got tired of burning the s*** out of my hand (I can't stand a 7 cylinder) and parted it out one night when it pissed me off by fouling one time too many! The driver's seat cushion was ripped up kinda badly, so I got some leather and close material for the inserts, and hand sewed a new cushion cover before putting the seats (front and rear) in this 300.

Oh to be able to travel back in time to cherry pick the old newspaper classifieds!

I remember in 1972, because of the Sales Bank system shoved down the dealer's throats, you could still buy a leftover 1970.
It was usually a 4 door triple green Polara sedan.....

Or a funky looking thing with a nose and a wing that wouldn't fit in the garage...

That was definitely my best beatdown ever! When I went to look at that Imp, I brought $500 as a deposit and had a friend with me. I was pretty sure I was going to buy the car but when we got there, the owner revealed that it had no reverse. Well, I figured that it had just spit the band link. It was parked in his small back yard and his wife wanted it gone. I saw my opportunity and said "I'll remove it right now." I figured I'd start at $400 bucks and write a check for the rest when I found his price. To my surprise, he bit at $400. The whole thing took about 15 minutes!

I don't suppose you have any pics of that one?

You have to regret that a little, don't you?

Compressors off to make room for the big air cleaner? Want me to show you how to stuff a sanden under the alternator so you can ride in A/C comfort with the air cleaner coverin' those cute little 3 twin suckerz? Gawd, Gotta teach you kidz everything! Jer

Show him how it's done Jer! Handmade headers, a 440 six pak, a B body Dana and he ran out of steam on an a/c compressor?

Lol! You forgot: "and moved the springs inboard 2 inches" (not so easy on a C!)
I actually have another air cleaner that I was going to modify...

Hard to get motivated when its not your car, you have your own projects to worry about.

Back