The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

I decided to start a new thread concerning my recently acquired '66 300 convertible. From here on out, its gonna be less about "the deal" and more about fixing / restoring it. As with every restoration, it begins with an inspection and a test drive. I did the personal inspection two weeks ago, and yesterday I did a 400-mile test drive getting the car home from North Carolina.

Here are a few photos to chronicle the event:

Arrival at Lloyd's house to deliver my trade and pick up the 300:

View attachment 79379

View attachment 79380

View attachment 79328

View attachment 79382 View attachment 79383 View attachment 79386 View attachment 79387 View attachment 79388 View attachment 79389

As regards the troubles I had on my extended "test drive", there is nothing too serious. The worst problem is that sometimes when coming to a stop or when slowing down on a curved off-ramp, the engine would shut off. And then it would be very hard to start. Much pumping of the pedal and holding it to the floor (as if it was flooded) to get it to fire. Seemed to load up. . . Fuel boiling maybe when the engine gets hot? Seems like it would be easier to start after it sits awhile. I'm pretty sure its the carburetor.

The instrument panel lights don't work at all and there is something loose under the car like a loose rear motor / trans mount. Or maybe its just the exhaust system rattling around during acceleration. It is totally rotted out. There is also excessive play in the steering - probably tie rod ends, etc.

Other than the foregoing, there really isn't much to complain about. The car rides really well: flat in the corners and not much bouncing around. Hell. . . I bet the original shocks are probably still working!

I am thankful that none of the tools, etc. that I packed in the trunk were needed. The only thing I did before leaving Lloyd's, was throw a bottle of STP with ZDDP in the crankcase and four ounces of marine two-cycle oil with TC-WP in the gas tank. That was it.

The panel dimmer is probably shot and you should check the length of your rod.

Here's a piece of advise that I got once and I pass it along when I can.

The car is running and you can drive it as it sits. Do some routine maintenance and fix stuff like the exhaust and tie rod to make the car safe. Then drive it and have some fun!

I did this with my 300... I drove it for a year and then formulated a plan to keep it on the road as much as possible while I attacked the stuff that I wanted to improve. I lost a couple months in the great sacrifice to the paint gods and that's really it. I even drove it around without the interior complete for a bit. There's still stuff I need to do, but I'm having fun with my car!

I compare that with the cars that get brought home and taken apart... for the grand "restoration" that sounds good at the time. Truth is that it gets hard to keep at it when you aren't getting anything out of it. Been there... done that.

I'm not sure of your plans... I'm just passing along some advice someone wise once shared with me.

The car is running and you can drive it as it sits. Do some routine maintenance and fix stuff like the exhaust and tie rod to make the car safe. Then drive it and have some fun!

I did this with my 300... I drove it for a year and then formulated a plan to keep it on the road as much as possible while I attacked the stuff that I wanted to improve. I lost a couple months in the great sacrifice to the paint gods and that's really it. I even drove it around without the interior complete for a bit. There's still stuff I need to do, but I'm having fun with my car!

I compare that with the cars that get brought home and taken apart... for the grand "restoration" that sounds good at the time. Truth is that it gets hard to keep at it when you aren't getting anything out of it. Been there... done that.

I'm not sure of your plans... I'm just passing along some advice someone wise once shared with me.

Great advice John

The panel dimmer is probably shot and you should check the length of your rod.
I don't know about the rod thing... and I don't want to know.... But the switch is probably worn and can be rebuilt.

My 66 likes to die every time i slow down to turn left haven't figured that out yet but suspect it's the carb and float settings. Idles great and if I two foot drive it it will keep running. Starves out of fuel then is hard to restart. If I solve it I'll post it for you likewise if you do please :)

Rip glad trip went well for you, now get to work lol. Big John that is good advice non driving cars are hard to stay motivated.

Thank you, John. Your suggested approach is pretty much what I have in mind. My initial attack is to totally remove the seats and fix the damned drivers seat. It is a power seat that won't move fore or aft (I hadda drive home with the steering wheel under my chin). After the seat (hope to find the broadcast sheet in the process) I think I'll see what I can do about the carburetor, and I'll call up Waldron's to inquire about a stainless exhaust system. Of course, I'll change the earl and perform other maintenance items.

My 66 likes to die every time i slow down to turn left haven't figured that out yet but suspect it's the carb and float settings. Idles great and if I two foot drive it it will keep running. Starves out of fuel then is hard to restart. If I solve it I'll post it for you likewise if you do please :)

Doba: That is exactly the problem I'm having. Seems to starve for gas, and then its flooded. PO said they rebuilt the carb twice. Although I don't really want to, I may have to do what everyone else does, and pull the trigger on an Edelbrock carb.

Doba: That is exactly the problem I'm having. Seems to starve for gas, and then its flooded. PO said they rebuilt the carb twice. Although I don't really want to, I may have to do what everyone else does, and pull the trigger on an Edelbrock carb.

Yup I'm just about there also but as I'm trying to keep the 66 as original as possible I'm gonna take one more stab at solving it otherwise its Eddy time just like the 70 and my other 66.

Amazing. That kind of trip is on my bucket list. And a very nice 300 also.

Last edited:
I decided to start a new thread concerning my recently acquired '66 300 convertible. From here on out, its gonna be less about "the deal" and more about fixing / restoring it. As with every restoration, it begins with an inspection and a test drive. I did the personal inspection two weeks ago, and yesterday I did a 400-mile test drive getting the car home from North Carolina.

Here are a few photos to chronicle the event:

Arrival at Lloyd's house to deliver my trade and pick up the 300:

View attachment 79379

View attachment 79380

View attachment 79328

View attachment 79382 View attachment 79383 View attachment 79386 View attachment 79387 View attachment 79388 View attachment 79389

One more thing I gotta report (Stan would appreciate this): I stopped for gas in Shenandoah, VA and this good ole boy walks up and says: "What kinda car is that ? Is it a Pontiac, a Buick ? I sez: "No. Its a Chrysler." He sez: "My uncle had a Mercury just like that."

I was sure he was gonna say "Lincoln."

Or have the original carb restored.:poke:
Carter AVS.jpg

Back