The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

I have a rebuild Carter sitting in the trunk waiting to go on as a backup plan. Last one on the shelf at NAPA across the country they told me. Still in the autoline box wrapped in plastic.

:thumbsup:

That is a sweet car and would have been great taking it on such a cruise, I cant wait to do that in my car! I have yet to do any sort of classic car cruise in this country. By the way, since i only live 300 miles from you, how come you didn't stop in??? :poke:

That is a sweet car and would have been great taking it on such a cruise, I cant wait to do that in my car! I have yet to do any sort of classic car cruise in this country. By the way, since i only live 300 miles from you, how come you didn't stop in??? :poke:
Ya know , I thought about it. But I wasnt able to stretch the trip out enough with additional time. Next time, for sure.

Whoa whoa... before we go condemning a carb that was supposedly rebuilt twice, I think you need to look further upstream.

Look in the carb's fuel bowls... full of sediment? If you don't want to open the carb, how is the fuel filter?

Could you have a fuel sock (in tank) clogged with crap the plugs up while the pump is pulling hard (high rpm), then with a lower load (coast) can't pull through the garbage? Then the engine stops, junk falls off the tank sock, and it will restart?

Has this car been in regular use, or is it now just seeing use for the first time in years?

If you can get some deoxit (tuner cleaner) onto that dash lamp rheostat, it might begin working normally. Of course you can always just work it back/forth quickly to try and knock the tarnish off, but that's usually a temporary fix.

What a beauty - I totally love these sharks, especially as convertibles. If it was mine, I think I would change the dashboard to the correct color (or was it supposed to be white instead of red?), would give her a new top and do some maintenance-stuff. Hey, if it runs 400 miles with only minor problems...:)...!

Great a New Car! AND a beautiful drive! Who could want more?
3.22"

If it was mine, I think I would change the dashboard to the correct color (or was it supposed to be white instead of red?)

White dash is correct for the white interior. That being said, I like the dash to match the exterior of the car. That's what I did.

034.jpg

Whoa whoa... before we go condemning a carb that was supposedly rebuilt twice, I think you need to look further upstream.

Look in the carb's fuel bowls... full of sediment? If you don't want to open the carb, how is the fuel filter?

Could you have a fuel sock (in tank) clogged with crap the plugs up while the pump is pulling hard (high rpm), then with a lower load (coast) can't pull through the garbage? Then the engine stops, junk falls off the tank sock, and it will restart?

Has this car been in regular use, or is it now just seeing use for the first time in years?

Very good advice here. Since I drove the car home, I've had no opportunity - as yet - to get into it. Was away for the last week, and Memorial Day is coming up with a raft load of commitments to handle. Hoping to get a look at it next Monday.

The car sat in an old chicken coop for many years. The PO went through the fuel system, rebuilt the carb and the transmission and put new tires on it. The gas guage doesn't work, so you may be right about the sock.

White dash is correct for the white interior. That being said, I like the dash to match the exterior of the car. That's what I did.

View attachment 79527

Really love your car. The dash in mine is supposed to be white. Some time in its previous life, some moron tried to apply a wood grain stick-on applique to the dash. Fortunately, he only did the glove compartment door and part of the dash containing the ash tray. The dash is supposed to be white, so as to match the white interior. Carpet is / was black and the doors have black carpet material across the bottom.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the car after I got it home: There is no spare and no jack, etc. Should I contact Murray Park regarding these items, or is there somewhere else they could be found ? The wheels / tires are 14".

Usually the hook is the part that matches the car and is the hardest to get. Get the part numbers first if you can.

Usually the hook is the part that matches the car and is the hardest to get. Get the part numbers first if you can.

Thanks again, John. I looked up the part numbers: the jack is No. 2808 641 (Old No. 2585 610). The hook is: No. 2461 132.

I guess I'll be on the lookout for these at Carlisle. . .

Back