The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Ain't that the truth?!? I brought this car home in May 2016, and its been a saga and an adventure ever since.

Sure glad to see you hanging around here again. . .
I sympathize...I got my 68 Crown convertible in 2016 too and I'm still collecting parts...I echo your comments that It's great to see Commando1 often again.

Rip: If you take a look at post #375 it would seem that you need to need to:

1 - take the metal slotted strip off the back of the seat, and
2 - install the seat back that you had made, and
3 - layout the cover on top of the seat back with the ventilation hole facing down, and the top flush with the top of the seat cover, and
4 - place the metal slotted strip back in it's original place so that the metal strip holds down the top flap of the speaker cover, and
5 - Put the 11 metal screws back into the metal strip which should lock the cover down from the top, then
6 - Take a look at the best way to fasten the side panels of the speaker cover to the back of the seat.

By the looks of it, the bottom of the speaker cover just hangs loose as it covered by the convertible top anyway. As mentioned before in our conversation, my 67 does not have that kind of room behind the seat for that type of speaker cover, as the convertible top would crush it when fully down. I only have about 1 and 1/2 inches of space in there and that cover from Legendary looks like it needs about 4 inches of space.

Cam Shaft

The photos are awful and distorted looking through the rear window. The hardboard goes to the top over the speaker opening. The bottom is uncover because there is a moisture catcher, which is sort of like a hammock. Do you have this item? I don't know what it is called. Mine is original. The new speaker cover I installed last and it just drapes over the speaker. Only attached at the top edge.

I honestly never remove boot cover, so none of this is even ever seen on my car.
20230211_164021.jpg
20230211_164105.jpg

The photos are awful and distorted looking through the rear window. The hardboard goes to the top over the speaker opening. The bottom is uncover because there is a moisture catcher, which is sort of like a hammock. Do you have this item? I don't know what it is called. Mine is original. The new speaker cover I installed last and it just drapes over the speaker. Only attached at the top edge.

I honestly never remove boot cover, so none of this is even ever seen on my car.View attachment 581606View attachment 581607

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm gonna give this thing another go using your guidance. More photos to follow. . .

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm gonna give this thing another go using your guidance. More photos to follow. . .
Here ya go. I think the speaker cover and the backer board are good to go. In any event, I ain't dicking with it anymore. A few pictures:

IMG_20230216_125202892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_125151064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_125123582_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_125101541_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_125040306_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_125321374_HDR.jpg

For something you will never see when the top is down, that looks great! Do you have a well cover? I have one that snaps into place and hides all the rear speaker components.

For something you will never see when the top is down, that looks great! Do you have a well cover? I have one that snaps into place and hides all the rear speaker components.
Yes. I have a vinyl well in which the top rests when it is down. I also have a "boot" cover that snaps into place over the retracted top. I have yet to install the snaps, however.

Rip: If you take a look at post #375 it would seem that you need to need to:

1 - take the metal slotted strip off the back of the seat, and
2 - install the seat back that you had made, and
3 - layout the cover on top of the seat back with the ventilation hole facing down, and the top flush with the top of the seat cover, and
4 - place the metal slotted strip back in it's original place so that the metal strip holds down the top flap of the speaker cover, and
5 - Put the 11 metal screws back into the metal strip which should lock the cover down from the top, then
6 - Take a look at the best way to fasten the side panels of the speaker cover to the back of the seat.

By the looks of it, the bottom of the speaker cover just hangs loose as it covered by the convertible top anyway. As mentioned before in our conversation, my 67 does not have that kind of room behind the seat for that type of speaker cover, as the convertible top would crush it when fully down. I only have about 1 and 1/2 inches of space in there and that cover from Legendary looks like it needs about 4 inches of space.

Cam Shaft
This one is from a ‘67 Imp.
034F68BF-E9BC-4984-B71F-6F72C7622588.jpeg

Alrighty boys. The distributor problem is sol-ved. I pulled it out and sent it to Ray at @halifaxhops. He did an awesome job on customizing the advance curve and a couple of other un-related repairs.

I re-installed the distributor, set the timing and took the car out for spin this past Sunday afternoon. No more pre-ignition issues, and the car runs better than it ever did since the new engine was installed.

BUT. . . All is not sweetness and light. . . Now I'm having some kind of vapor lock issue that I'll hafta chase down. I think the problem is related to a venting issue with that piece of krap new gas tank I installed last year. Stay tuned. . . Because the Saga never ends. . .

You all may remember the above post about my so called vapor lock issue. It has plagued this car for a couple of years now. It descended finally into a no fuel at all issue last September. Since then I have been firing the parts cannon at it: new fuel pump, fuel filter, new fuel lines tank to pump, new sender and sock, and finally a carburetor rebuild from Woodruff. Yesterday I found this:

IMG_20230324_151357778.jpg

Do ya think my rod is too short? Rod at the bottom is a good one. . .

How does that happen? Did I get swapped with a shorter one or wear down?
They wear.

Simplified explanation is the hardening process used only hardens the exterior of the steel. What happens is once you wear though the hard surface, the inside is soft and that wears really quickly.

This gives a decent explanation of case or surface hardening. What is Case Hardening? | Metal Supermarkets

Back