The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

What does this reverb unit do? Is this part of a premium sound package? My car just has one crappy speaker in the seat.

There is a current discussion on the 300 Club, Intl list server about radios, etc. One of the guys described the reverb feature this way:

"the Reverb function was an early attempt to add stereo without having the needed Radio signals.
What it actually did was to take what was playing on the dash radio and delay the signal and then play it on the rear speaker. So, it's an electronic trick, to fool your ears."
As said, it tried to mimic stereo using the crappy sound from an AM radio.

If you really want to learn more, here's some reading. Page 4 gets into how it works. Car reverbs, 1964-1974

As said, it tried to mimic stereo using the crappy sound from an AM radio.

If you really want to learn more, here's some reading. Page 4 gets into how it works. Car reverbs, 1964-1974
Ok, so I guess it’s something that wasn’t available in 1970? I have a fader switch on the dash. I think it’s the “Golden Tone” AM radio with seek.

Ok, so I guess it’s something that wasn’t available in 1970? I have a fader switch on the dash. I think it’s the “Golden Tone” AM radio with seek.

Yes. The radio in my '66 has both fader and reverb control knobs. There is also a foot operated button (looks like a headlight dimmer button) on the floor that activates a signal seek function. Hopefully, when I get all this seat and speaker stuff put back together, the radio and reverb will work. But I need to get the power antenna to work. . .

It was passé by then. You had more choices in better radios with the FM band and even stereo in some. I don't think they sold a lot either.

The big improvement was the FM though. FM has more bandwidth than AM radio which gives a lot better sound quality. About that time, there was the beginning of a switch to FM for popular music and programing too. It all made the reverb obsolete.

Today, almost all your AM broadcasts are "talk radio" because of the sound quality.

BTW, I think the reverb units in the Mopars were Philco (Ford).... Just as the signal seeking radio was Delco (GM).

Yes I am on that road! I laughed at your thread for removing the rear quarter window regulators in these convertibles. Waiting on some roller brackets for mine. I saw the ad for Classic Industries speaker cover but with no photo as well. If they post a photo I might order one, see if I get before next Christmas!

Hey Cam: I just received the following communication from Legendary:

Hi there. Your recent order on Legendary Auto Interiors is confirmed and is now in production. Your order details are shown below for your reference.

Please note that we build to order, therefore there is an estimated lead time of 28 days before your order ships out in its entirety.

[Order #174418] (January 26, 2023)​

ProductQuantityPrice
65/66 CDP C-BODY CONV. REAR SEAT SPEAKER COVER - PEARL WHT1$93.00
Subtotal:$93.00
Shipping:$18.00 via Flat Rate
Tax:$5.58
Payment method:Credit Card
Total:$116.58

Looks like it's gonna be at least another month before I get everything back together. . .

Yes. The radio in my '66 has both fader and reverb control knobs. There is also a foot operated button (looks like a headlight dimmer button) on the floor that activates a signal seek function. Hopefully, when I get all this seat and speaker stuff put back together, the radio and reverb will work. But I need to get the power antenna to work. . .
I took apart my power antenna and destroyed it in the process, even though I looked at some picture tutorials on here and the 300 site. It made noise but didn't move, turned out to be the "weed wacker" line was broken. I ended up buying a working unit off of ebay.

I took apart my power antenna and destroyed it in the process, even though I looked at some picture tutorials on here and the 300 site. It made noise but didn't move, turned out to be the "weed wacker" line was broken. I ended up buying a working unit off of ebay.

I'm hoping my antenna can be repaired. If it appears to be beyond my skill level, I may send it to Jeff Carter. . . In any event, I'll need a working antenna in order for the radio to work.

Cam: I ordered the speaker cover from Legendary. I'll post a photo when I receive it.

Thank you again for responding to my dilemma. I would have been lost without you. . .

Rip
This is what I got 10 years ago from them. It's the only pic I have that shows it (view from top)...

1674833424880.png

Cam: I ordered the speaker cover from Legendary. I'll post a photo when I receive it.

Thank you again for responding to my dilemma. I would have been lost without you. . .

Rip
That is where I ordered mine. It is a soft black vinyl covering.

Well that soft flap cover looks more like what would have been available in 66/67. I worry about the clearance between it and the bow of the convertible top when it is fully down. Does it land on top of the cover or? I find it strange that will all my searches for photos of my 67 300 I have never seen what came stock on the car for a speaker cover. Anyone have a photo? Rip, I feel your pain on the power antenna. Big John had a tutorial on how to repair those, but I finally found one that worked nicely and replaced mine. I have a few of them now I think!

Well that's really interesting. I wonder if it changed from 65-66-67? Just looking at how far that protrudes out from the back of the seat, I think my convertible top bow would hit that. I have about 2 inches clearance from the back of the seat to the top bow when the top is folded into the well. 300 Rag, Is this your 4 speed car? I thought I saw somewhere that you had sold it? CamShaft

I'm working on the back seat interior in my 66 300 convertible. I have a panel that attaches to the back seat back where the rear seat speaker resides. I'm not sure how it attaches. A couple of photos are shown below. Does the panel attach under the long slotted trim strip? Or does attach on top of it?

I can't believe I've been working on this car for six years. . .
If you'd stop driving the parts car you might make some progress....:poke:
Aren't you finished yet??? Gee...
x2

Re- thinking. What does the rear seat support look like. On normal cars this “trunk wall” hangs in the car on hooks. Then you connect the seat back.
And the seat back when secured holds it in place.

Last edited:
Back