The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Some other important items. If you change the sending unit keep the retaining ring, the repop is crap and it will leak.

Also Steele rubber sell a gasket from the tank to the filler neck. I would replace it they are known to leak, royal pain to replace , so you want to do this only once.

I will look tonight for the discussion I had on the tank. I took measurements and I think our '66 tank is narrower than the one you listed. If you have factory exhaust it runs right by the right side of the tank and the tank is up against the frame on the left.

I will also look up another thread on FB. The guy took a new tank for a '70 Challenger possibility, same length as ours but narrower. It had a 20 gallon capacity instead of 25. he said it also made it easier to run dual exhaust. It had the vents too.

Some other important items. If you change the sending unit keep the retaining ring, the repop is crap and it will leak.

Also Steele rubber sell a gasket from the tank to the filler neck. I would replace it they are known to leak, royal pain to replace , so you want to do this only once.

I will look tonight for the discussion I had on the tank. I took measurements and I think our '66 tank is narrower than the one you listed. If you have factory exhaust it runs right by the right side of the tank and the tank is up against the frame on the left.

I will also look up another thread on FB. The guy took a new tank for a '70 Challenger possibility, same length as ours but narrower. It had a 20 gallon capacity instead of 25. he said it also made it easier to run dual exhaust. It had the vents too.

Mike:

Thanks a lot for dropping in on this fuel tank question. I was hoping to hear that you had already been down this road.

I found another source for the fuel tank here: Mopar Fuel Parts|Restoration Parts|Restoration Gas Tanks|Jim's Auto Parts
This tank is described as:
GT-VNK100

1966-1967 Dodge & Chrysler C Body (exc. Station Wagons; does not fit Plymouth models)
(with one vent tube; without filler neck)

23 gallon tank; 40-1/2 x 27-1/2" x 8". Galvanized. Please check your existing tank. There are three types available with different venting systems for this model.

$ 299.95

Do the measurements on this tank line up with those for your tank?

Mike:

Thanks a lot for dropping in on this fuel tank question. I was hoping to hear that you had already been down this road.

I found another source for the fuel tank here: Mopar Fuel Parts|Restoration Parts|Restoration Gas Tanks|Jim's Auto Parts
This tank is described as:
GT-VNK100

1966-1967 Dodge & Chrysler C Body (exc. Station Wagons; does not fit Plymouth models)
(with one vent tube; without filler neck)

23 gallon tank; 40-1/2 x 27-1/2" x 8". Galvanized. Please check your existing tank. There are three types available with different venting systems for this model.

$ 299.95

Do the measurements on this tank line up with those for your tank?

I will give you an update this evening I'm not feeling really positive for you. I'm pretty certain the 67 is different than 66 but maybe somebody's making a tank now. The fact that it's slightly smaller might be a bonus in actually fitting.

Last edited:
Hey Rip, I also somehow missed this thread, (traveling too much I guess). So I just got caught up. I love the car. Something special about a red 300 convertible with white interior, no matter the year.
We also drove the Blue ridge parkway and Skyline drive on the way to Carlisle, your right, the scenery is unsurpassed.
There are others here better versed on the 66's but I will follow along and add what I can.
Be careful with your broadcast sheet. Jazabelles looked like that. I placed the pieces in a book for awhile to get them back flat. You can find clear acid free plastic sheets with an adhesive on one side and carefully place the pieces back together, (like a puzzle), on it. Adhesive to the back side of the broadcast sheet. Place in a plastic sheet protector, again acid free, and make color copy's. Store the original with the title in a dark, dry secure place. This is a great winter time project.

Part 1. Just getting started, here is one members solution.
I had the same problem with my 66 300. I did try a 67 tank and it would not fit in my car. Ended up sending my old tank to these guys and they repaired, cleaned and did the renu process on the tank and straps for $300.00. Check them out, very nice people to work with. Moyer Fuel Tank Renu mailto:moyer@westol.com

This is the thread it is from. Fuel Tank Recommendations

Part 2: The guy used a new tank for a 1970 Roadrunner, and also use the b-body sending unit for that tank. KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL METAL RETAINING RING, (just a reminder if you didn't catch it the first time). He said the sending unit is in the same area so no change in the fuel line either.

Personally when mine goes this is the route I am going to take. Length 37+", 24" width, 8", 19 gallon tank around $100 plus the sending unit about $50.

Part 3: The tank measurements, on the tank you were looking at are factory spec, except the length, my tank 39". Look for yourself but I don't see it fitting unless you did some sort of modification.

Last edited:
Part 2: The guy used a new tank for a 1970 Roadrunner, and also use the b-body sending unit for that tank. KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL METAL RETAINING RING, (just a reminder if you didn't catch it the first time). He said the sending unit is in the same area so no change in the fuel line either.

Personally when mine goes this is the route I am going to take. Length 37+", 24" width, 8", 19 gallon tank around $100 plus the sending unit about $50.

Part 3: The tank measurements, on the tank you were looking at are factory spec, except the length, my tank 39". Look for yourself but I don't see it fitting unless you did some sort of modification.

Thanks again, Mike. I'll check measurements on my tank tomorrow and then go from there. I was hoping I could just order a new tank and pop it right in there. Looks like I got more homework to do.

Something else to think about, I have an early build date of December 65. If you know your build date, maybe if yours is a later date, it could possibly fit.

Something else to think about, I have an early build date of December 65. If you know your build date, maybe if yours is a later date, it could possibly fit.

Thanks again, Mike. I'll get back up to the Garage Mahal in the AM (before it gets really hot) and see if I can remove the tank and look at what I have. As you stated, the specs on the tank from Jim's are right on - except for the length, which is 40 1/2". If the '66 tank is really 39" (like yours), I would think there should be 3/4" of slop at the front and back. If so, that should allow me to use Jim's tank. Wuduhyuhthink ?

Stay tuned. . .

Last edited:
I would think so plus the measurement I made on mine includes the lip around the tank, which adds a good 2" to the total length. Good luck I hope this tank you found works.

I would think so plus the measurement I made on mine includes the lip around the tank, which adds a good 2" to the total length. Good luck I hope this tank you found works.

Thanks again, Mike. I'm gonna call Jim's in a little while to discuss the tank.

Well. . . The Saga Continues. . .

Last night I discovered my gas tank has a leak, and its got a lotta crud laying around in the bottom. I can't believe I drove the car all the way from NC and around home, ever since. Since I planned to drop the tank and replace the fuel gauge sending unit anyway, I guess the timing is good.

I looked up replacement tanks, and it appears there are three tanks available for a '66 300: a non-vented tank, a tank with one vent and another with two. I think the tank I need is the non-vented one. Does anybody from the collective know which tank I should get? Here is a link to the tank I'm looking at:

1966-1973 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth Tank w/o Vents CR20A: Auto City Classic

Why not take your tank to a radiator shop, have them boil it out, braze the holes and line it. That's what I did with mine when I restored my car and it has held up exceptionally well. When I got it back from the shop it looked like a brand new tank; they even got all the old undercoating off.

Why not take your tank to a radiator shop, have them boil it out, braze the holes and line it. That's what I did with mine when I restored my car and it has held up exceptionally well. When I got it back from the shop it looked like a brand new tank; they even got all the old undercoating off.

Rexus: Thanks for the advice. I finally got under the car this morning to check things out. The leak appears to be coming from the back of the tank - right where the fuel gauge sender / suction pipe mounts. The tank itself looks good, so I think (like you) having a radiator shop boil it out and coat it, etc. is the way to go. At least this way, if the tank proves to be good, I won't hafta worry about any fitment issues associated with a re-pop tank.

Also, I was able to check the tank measurements and venting. The tank is length=38", width=24" and depth=8". Measurements are from the ends of the pinch seams. Also, the tank has TWO vents at the back on the left side

Mike: I haven't decoded the build plate and build sheet yet to determine the build date, but here they are. Maybe someone with nothing to do can decode them for me. Stan ?

fender tag capture.PNG

66 Chrysler Build Sheet Scan JPEG0001.jpg

Here's what I get

Production date June 01, 1966
Shipping order 13057
Car line CHRYSLER Newport/300/NYkr
Price class Medium
Body type convertible
Trim Grade Medium [32M]
Seat type Bench vinyl [334]
Trim color White and black [34W]
Paint 1 Bright red [27P]
Paint 2 Bright red [28P]
Paint scheme Mono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint Black
Engine 440 4bbl 8cyl 365hp dual exhst RB [378/382]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
26in radiator yoke
Power equipment Power bucket-LH 6way [454]
Power equipment Power windows [458]
Power equipment Power vent windows [459]
Radio Radio-AM search tune [424]
Heater Air conditioning w/ heater [411]
Front bucket seats Bucket seats [564]
Rear options Heater-rear seat and defroster [417]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat w/reverb [427]
Police accessories Heater-DELETE [416]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat [426]
Mouldings Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
-OR- Moulding-bumper reveal [546]
Fender mounted turn signals Light-turn indicator hood/fender mounted [517]
Mirrors Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
Vehicle sales/delivery Spotlight-LH 5in pillar mounted [671]
-OR- Oversize manual antenna [681]
-OR- Sold car/expedite [691]

Rip I would bet good money that the PO may have replaced the sending unit, and installed a new retaining ring. That is where mine was leaking, if it was below a half tank very little leaking. Take a picture of the ring and post it. We can tell you if it is a good or bad one.

Here's what I get

Production date June 01, 1966
Shipping order 13057
Car line CHRYSLER Newport/300/NYkr
Price class Medium
Body type convertible
Trim Grade Medium [32M]
Seat type Bench vinyl [334]
Trim color White and black [34W]
Paint 1 Bright red [27P]
Paint 2 Bright red [28P]
Paint scheme Mono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint Black
Engine 440 4bbl 8cyl 365hp dual exhst RB [378/382]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
26in radiator yoke
Power equipment
Power bucket-LH 6way [454]
Power equipment Power windows [458]
Power equipment Power vent windows [459]
Radio Radio-AM search tune [424]
Heater Air conditioning w/ heater [411]
Front bucket seats Bucket seats [564]
Rear options Heater-rear seat and defroster [417]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat w/reverb [427]
Police accessories Heater-DELETE [416]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat [426]
Mouldings Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
Fender mounted turn signals Light-turn indicator hood/fender mounted [517]
Mirrors Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
Vehicle sales/delivery Spotlight-LH 5in pillar mounted [671]
-OR- Oversize manual antenna [681]
-OR- Sold car/expedite [691]

Thank you, Doba. Thank you! I guess my car is a fairly late build (June 1966). Thanks again. Very helpful.

Rip I would bet good money that the PO may have replaced the sending unit, and installed a new retaining ring. That is where mine was leaking, if it was below a half tank very little leaking. Take a picture of the ring and post it. We can tell you if it is a good or bad one.

The leak you describe is exactly the same symptom I have. I was hoping to remove the tank yesterday, but its just too damned hot to do any work. I'll have another go at the leak when it cools down (it was almost 100 degrees yesterday. In the meantime, I'll syphon off a couple of gallons and see what happens with the leaking.

Back