The Sheriff

Great progress Bill!!
Hopefully one day we can meet eye to eye and share over a few beers the trials and tribulations of our long term restorations!!

Great progress Bill!!
Hopefully one day we can meet eye to eye and share over a few beers the trials and tribulations of our long term restorations!!

You bet Lea. Hope all's well with you and things are moving along again. BTW, ever hear from Hobby? I haven't heard much since he shut down the site.

Impressive work. Thanks for the pics and update. Hope you keep it black.

Ever argue with a 5yr old? He'ss playing my Forza 6 lately, his preferred ride is a lime green hemi cuda. He thinks the Monaco should be the same color.

tmp_28135-IMAG1244_1-1863456566.jpg

If you've never seen the forza 6 game play before be sure to watch in 1080.. though this one is orange.

Last edited:
First time outside in a year. The garage was finally beyond what I wanted to put up with and needed a cleaning and organizing.

IMAG1379.jpg

Today it got a new coil. stopped by the local restaurant/museum/speed shop and picked up a flamethrower. we'll see how it does tomorrow as far as cold starts go.

Oh yeah.. and there was this...

tmp_19171-IMAG1459-1007597840.jpg

Last edited:
I dug the flamethrower in my 68. I had the Pertronix Ignitor I with the flamethrower coil on both my 318 and my 440 and they both ran really strong.

So far the coil seems to be ok. Starts a little better. Burns a hell of a lot cleaner. The smell of the exhaust between the two coils is night and day.

ANYWAY.. We're legal to be on the road again. First time it's been titled, plated and insured to be on the road since '95. It's been on the road since then for two short trips (an 11 and 7 mile), but not "legally". So now I get to see what's really going to break and what needs fixed. Currently waiting on another gallon of primer and transmission rebuild kit. Thinking I may as well replace the torque convertor as well. We'll see how things pan out.

Also have to find someone that can replace this windshield with the one I picked up a few years ago. Either that or I gotta grow the cojones to do it meself.

Welp since we're offically legal... test drive. First legal road trip in near twenty years. I only got the first to second shift. and she popped a little coming off the side of the road going back on the blacktop. Other than that no issues. I have to figure out the cowl to hood fitment, it drives me up a wall. passenger side bolt and screw holes line up. drivers side ir about 1/2 above the screw holes to get it where it is. I have to assume either the hood is tweeked or the firewall. It's the one part of this I've dreaded because I don't know how to fix it and not have some part of it be out of alignment. anyway...the vid. Super short. but fun as hell to be back on the road with it for however short it is.

Hot damn fellas. Put a tach in and started to figuring things out timing and carb settings. Actually the Tach I wanted to add to determine when the transmission was shifting. To me it seemed really early. BUT since I had a reliable way to see RPM I took the opportunity to tune a little bit. I can get 22 inches of vacuum at 650rpm but boy does she ping like hell off of idle. Went back and set the advance to the book 12.5 BTC, set the mixture screws to max vacuum and only managed 17". But from a dead punch she'll make the tires cry a little bit. Rolling about 40mph and kick her down, big smile on my face.

So to the initial issue I wanted to address, it still seems like it's coming out of first too quick. I expect 2500-2800, and it's shifting to second at about 1800. To me even at light throttle that's too early. I'm second guessing the need for a rebuild because it seems to do really well for right now. We'll see.

Right now though, happy happy happy.

Hot damn fellas. Put a tach in and started to figuring things out timing and carb settings. Actually the Tach I wanted to add to determine when the transmission was shifting. To me it seemed really early. BUT since I had a reliable way to see RPM I took the opportunity to tune a little bit. I can get 22 inches of vacuum at 650rpm but boy does she ping like hell off of idle. Went back and set the advance to the book 12.5 BTC, set the mixture screws to max vacuum and only managed 17". But from a dead punch she'll make the tires cry a little bit. Rolling about 40mph and kick her down, big smile on my face.

So to the initial issue I wanted to address, it still seems like it's coming out of first too quick. I expect 2500-2800, and it's shifting to second at about 1800. To me even at light throttle that's too early. I'm second guessing the need for a rebuild because it seems to do really well for right now. We'll see.

Right now though, happy happy happy.
NICE! Stoked to hear she's rollin!
For the shift, I don't know, 1800 + doesn't seem all that early to me. Mind you, my Monaco is sitting in the garage and I haven't driven a C Body in 13 years so who am I to say? But as I remember 1st was short .. MAYBE 2000 rpm... i could be off though.

NICE! Stoked to hear she's rollin!
For the shift, I don't know, 1800 + doesn't seem all that early to me. Mind you, my Monaco is sitting in the garage and I haven't driven a C Body in 13 years so who am I to say? But as I remember 1st was short .. MAYBE 2000 rpm... i could be off though.

My '66 300 / 440 does the same thing. The 1-2 shift occurs really early. I think it was set up that way at the factory. The engine has so much low-end torque, the short shift is not really all that objectionable.

Thanks guys, maybe I'm just used to more modern transmissions shifting later. 2-3 seems ok. Just the 1-2 is what I don't like so much.

Turns out the video above was actually 2-3 not 1-2 like I thought.

Last edited:
If you are running the factory original torque converter--or a generic replacement,1800 is the norm.
In regards to the timing/advance,your distributor could use a re-curve especially with today's corn fed gas.

For you 1-2 shift you could adjust the Throttle valve linkage but it will effect the 2-3 shift also.

If you are running the factory original torque converter--or a generic replacement,1800 is the norm.
In regards to the timing/advance,your distributor could use a re-curve especially with today's corn fed gas.

Perhaps, but down here I can feed it REC90. almost $3.00US/gal but no alcky. right now it has a mix of rec90 and 93 octane w 10%. this last run had no hesitation and no ping. so I'm happy right now.

Perhaps, but down here I can feed it REC90. almost $3.00US/gal but no alcky. right now it has a mix of rec90 and 93 octane w 10%. this last run had no hesitation and no ping. so I'm happy right now.
My semi-convenient place is WAWA 89 non-ethanol... I don't try to blend it, but I'm dealing with lower compression. I would say your better off skipping the blend if storing, and fine for doing it when driving regularly... time will tell if it will create problems.

I really hate ethanol:soapbox:

It was blended because I had to. The Rec90 was out of the effective range for what remained in the tank at that moment.

GAAAAAHHHHHH!

Sigh. No dash lights. No gauges work, powered ones anyway. The electrical issue is getting worse.

Thought is was the headlight dimmer. Headlights on, hit the dimmer for high beams then hit the dimmer again to drop to lows, no change. WTF? Turn off lights and back on, lows are on. Rinse and repeat. Accidentally hit the turn signal, now headlights flash in time with the turn signal. :/ Replace dimmer, same issue. Screw with dash dimmer wheel as I notice when the lights are on no dash lights but both turn indicators are glowing. WTF?

Turn on the lights, go to high beams hit the switch for lows and all four are still lit up. Move the dash dimmer wheel down to halfway and the high beams go off back to lows. Eh? Turn the wheel back up all the way and repeat. Same outcome. Repeat, this time turn on turn signal and make the lights flash. Move the wheel to half way, lights stop flashing and got back to low beams. Who built this car? Oy.

Then I remind myself the electrical had to have been touched somewhere in it's existence for the siren/bubble and extra equipment.

Now what? The dash dimmer is next to impossible to find. And they aint cheap.

On a good note, went out for another run. Going further everytime. Took my Father in law out for a ride in his dads car for the first time in 20 years or so. He enjoyed it, loud exhaust and all.

Back