The Sheriff

Yeah factory disc car.

took the originals apart in hopes of potentially rebuilding them. One piston in each side are frozen. Attempted to plug the holes and use air pressure to push them out. Ran the pressure up to 80PSI before I ran out of cajones. I didn't need a missile shooting across the garage.
The bores of the ones I did manage to get out are rusted pretty bad.
Smart move. If you want to rebuild your original calipers, I would soak them in a good rust removal solution for at least a couple of days. If I remember right, those are metal pistons in the calipers, and they WILL take off like a bullet under a lot of air pressure. After you get the old ones out, you will need to clean the piston bores, here is where you will have the problem, if the bores are real pitted you may need to have them machined and sleeved, there are shops that can do this, but it is pricey. The good news is once done by a good shop, they will last forever, not like the junk rebuilds you get from China. Good luck.
I would also change over to DOT 5 brake fluid to cut down on the moisture in the brake system.

I had missed this thread. You put a lot of time and effort into the metal work.

Yeah that's not all done yet.
Leaburn took less time than you and that's saying something.

You need to go back and repair this for the latecomers, btw...

Screenshot_2018-06-30-13-58-56.jpg

Leaburn took less time than you and that's saying something.

You need to go back and repair this for the latecomers, btw...

View attachment 194930

Yeah well Lea didn't move 4 states in 8 years and keep the car in storage for a year and a half while his house was being built. Though I know he's had his share of challenges too.

Life gets in the way sometimes. thanks

So I sit and wait for brake line kit. A week. Why with 2 day shipping and 10 instock does it take a week? Good note though the brackets I made put the calipers exactly where I want them on the rotor.

Also got a gift the other day. Friend of my FIL needs a 20 ton press for one time use. So guess whose garage it is residing in? Not much but hey free as in beer, I'll take that all day long.

Welp the lines came in two days earlier than expected. Needless to say it's back on all fours and it stops.

Noticed a wobble on the first shake down around the block. Found a big bubble in the tread of one of the rear tires. So it'll sit for a little while longer before I can bed the brakes and see how it really does. But at least it's mobile again.

Welp the lines came in two days earlier than expected. Needless to say it's back on all fours and it stops.

Noticed a wobble on the first shake down around the block. Found a big bubble in the tread of one of the rear tires. So it'll sit for a little while longer before I can bed the brakes and see how it really does. But at least it's mobile again.
Dag...

Actually, I'm good with it. It's had a wobble for a little while and I assumed it was because of the front brakes. Perhaps having everything replaced made it more noticeable to me? But having everything new lead me to look else where and that's when I saw the bubble. Or maybe it's just getting bigger from sitting. but it felt like the car was wagging like multiple inches side to side in the rear. Too much weight on one tire while I worked on it? Maybe a flat spot plus the bubble? How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? The world may never know.

It gives me the chance to get some tires closer to the correct diameter. Just waiting for the wife to go back to work when school starts in two weeks.

Thinking 235/70-15 all around for the time being.

Now do I spend money on a cheap set just so I can move it in and out of the garage while I continue to work on it with the occasional 10-15 mile trip and replace them later. Or do I spend the cash on the set I want and watch them not get used as much as I would like. Either way I see it as a waste of cash but it needs to be safe when it does get driven.

Last edited:
On a side note the Cardone calipers are being flushed clean and either getting buried somewhere or going to end up in the bottom of a swamp.

Actually, I'm good with it. It's had a wobble for a little while and I assumed it was because of the front brakes. Perhaps having everything replaced made it more noticeable to me? But having everything new lead me to look else where and that's when I saw the bubble. Or maybe it's just getting bigger from sitting. but it felt like the car was wagging like multiple inches side to side in the rear. Too much weight on one tire while I worked on it? Maybe a flat spot plus the bubble? How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? The world may never know.

It gives me the chance to get some tires closer to the correct diameter. Just waiting for the wife to go back to work when school starts in two weeks.

Thinking 235/70-15 all around for the time being.

Now do I spend money on a cheap set just so I can move it in and out of the garage while I continue to work on it with the occasional 10-15 mile trip and replace them later. Or do I spend the cash on the set I want and watch them not get used as much as I would like. Either way I see it as a waste of cash but it needs to be safe when it does get driven.

Here ya go: Catalog

Hazah it drives and stops.

Either Wilwoods stop odd or the pads just aren't bedded yet. They initially dive but require a little more effort to bind up. Get em hot and whewee they grab right at slightest pedal movement. So Forged Dynalite Narrows (120-15254) really do have the power to stop these barges.

Though to be honest they're doing most of the work because I de-adjusted the rears. In a panic stop stab they locked up. Until I get smaller diameter wheel cylinders I prefer to not have that happen again.

Put a pair of 255/70-15 copper copper cobras on the rear. My God that's a lot of sidewall. Has aabout a two inch rake now. Should resolve itself when I put the new fronts on. Can't decide if they're going to be 225/70-15 or 235/70-15. Waiting for my buddy at the tire shop to bring one of each by so I can decide.

Was fun today though, felt like a whole different car.

Oh yeah all this while my master bedroom is being demo'd and mold remediated. Had the super just verified the AC guys fixed the exposed freon line that was noted before we went to drywall, I wouldn't have the added stress.

Two years of nearfull time condensation dripping in to blown in batting makes quite the mess.

Here the bubble is on the bottom, you can see the wave it created in the opposite side sidewall pulling the section narrower.

IMG_20180807_171726745_HDR-01.jpeg

Any market for a set of budd organic brake pads with about 100 miles on them?

Don't need em any more.

Last edited:
Back