The Sheriff

I had thought of that originally. My only issue with sanding is that they're organic. If I could figure a way to keep my, and the neighborhood's kids away from the dust, since this is play central, I'd do it.

As it stands everything is bolted up and torqued properly. I bled with the mightyvac yesterday and the rotor locks up, and then will free up when the pedal is pressed. I'll get the mrs to help me bleed per the book today. Then I'll take it out for a test trip.

All goes well, I'll be ordering rotor number two and finding a machine shop to do the back side as I didn't have the ommph to do it properly on the minimill with the boring head. It's done, but no the way I'd like to see it done. It took way longer than it needed to. The center bore took just about 5 minutes. The backside, well, well, that took hours. The vibration/chatter and depth of cut were horrendous.

Last edited:
And, the idea isn't anything original as most know. The best known I think is Mike Pittinaro's.

Mike Pittinaro's Supra Rotor Conversion for (Chrysler) Imperial Budd Brakes

I just didn't like the idea of modifying the hub. Changing/machining a rotor and or caliper to me is a better alternative as they're more replaceable, non permanent parts of the vehicle. Should the need or desire to return to stock parts, it's all bolt on stuff. I've not seen many hubs just out floating around for sale. They're almost as few and far between as the proper rotors.

Last edited:
5 mile drive went ok. No mishaps. The driver side pulled a little but I base that on the fact that it is bedded while the passenger is freshly cut. The wear pattern looks like it's going to be acceptable.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on Rotor number two and document the entire process.

Oh yeah, the collar I made for the distributor made a world of difference in the way it runs. Everything was dead smooth no more idle fluctuations or odd misses. Whomever pointed out that the broken plastic ring I found in the oil pan was the collar, I thank you.

5 mile drive went ok. No mishaps. The driver side pulled a little but I base that on the fact that it is bedded while the passenger is freshly cut. The wear pattern looks like it's going to be acceptable.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on Rotor number two and document the entire process.

Oh yeah, the collar I made for the distributor made a world of difference in the way it runs. Everything was dead smooth no more idle fluctuations or odd misses. Whomever pointed out that the broken plastic ring I found in the oil pan was the collar, I thank you.
That's cool... did you happen to note temperature or check for drag by hand after the run? Not wanting to be a killjoy, but I know you've had your share of BS with this so far.

All things considered, I like what you're doing... I'd prefer to take material from the linings myself, but I can picture the EPA taking soil samples in your front yard once a concerned parent caught on.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

it wasn't that long of a trip. Only 5 miles. I did a couple of hard stops just to see if I can get the pads to try to bite. I locked both front wheels. Wheel was cool when I got home but like I said, wasn't that long or that hard. Baby steps again.

I reckon I could sand these things wet. Wait for rainy season to start up and sand em outside. Let mother nature wash the crap away.

Oh, with the new rotor, I did finally notice the lumpy rotor on the drivers side on the way home. Could feel it bobbing the left front a little bit.

Out for a drive again at lunch. Rotors on both sides under 200F and within 20F of each other.. Both calipers about 115F.

Sigh. For the love of everything holy or otherwise....

Ordered in my other rotor so it's on the way. Got the guy all lined up with the brake lathe. He's in no problems. Going to see a guy with with a CNC mill to open up the back side of the rotor later this week. So hopefully I can end this saga soon.

And now, back to real news. Went out for a nice drive on the 13th. I had to leave to be in DC for a week so wanted to get out before I left. Ran a few errands in it and everything was fine. Got back to the house, parked. Went inside for a few moments came back out to antifreeze in the air. Ok so we boiled over again, no big deal. Grabbed a towel to mop it up, knelt down and what do you know it's dripping from the back of the block this time.

Went out and filled the radiator this morning and waited a bit. It's dripping again just sitting there. I feel hairs falling from my head as I stare in disbelief and anger. I really don't want to rip this transmission out for core plugs. If it wasn't dripping at the crank center-line I'd chase head gaskets but I know better. Or I think I know better.

So I've resigned myself to finishing this rotor swap before I do anything else.

Then I'm rebuilding the original transmission. Once that's done I'm going to yank this one, replace the core plugs, put the original transmission back in.

And you know as soon as that happens I'll probably lose the rear end. Or I spin a freakin bearing, or it'll catch fire, or, or something.

Then I'm rebuilding the original transmission. Once that's done I'm going to yank this one, replace the core plugs, put the original transmission back
There are no core plugs on the rear of a big block, my guess is plug on the driver's head.

Well I'll be damned... NO core plugs. well unless I have an aftermarket block. Which I know that isn't the case.

Thanks for that. Saves me some hair and money. Hopefully.

Yay even more better. Filled up the radiator, climbed all around the thing and finally found the leak. Appears the heater core is leaking out of the drain in the firewall. Cheap fix until I need to have heat I guess.

Yay even more better. Filled up the radiator, climbed all around the thing and finally found the leak. Appears the heater core is leaking out of the drain in the firewall. Cheap fix until I need to have heat I guess.
Kinda good news... but I hope you're good without defrosters for a long time...

I kind want to rebuild the trans and put it back in and get this 66 out of it. Would have been a good sell to the wife. Oh well.

BUT yes, Thank you!

Back