Thinking of buying a smallish utility trailer

I’ll just be doing in a 100 mile radius, unless I get a good deal on a Dana and they are only about ~250 lbs. I wouldn’t go too far for one.
You would be fine. I have driven mine a hour north to help a buddy move quite a few times. I used it the last couple years of my tool business to haul boxes. Pretty easy to load and unload. I even repo'd a couple. LOL

Btw There was a Dana in Oregon I really wanted but found out because of that deal that Fastenal won’t ship from left coast to east coast anymore.

Btw There was a Dana in Oregon I really wanted but found out because of that deal that Fastenal won’t ship from left coast to east coast anymore.
Huh, That's strange.

How much can a van like mine handle? Anyone have any experience?

I don't have towing on my 94 Caravan CV w/a 3.3, but I can tell you that I stuffed the back end of that with easily 3000+ pounds moving and drove from the Bay area over Donner pass with no major issues. A little slow going up the slope but that's it. Almost a 7000 foot climb! Good Luck

I don't have towing on my 94 Caravan CV w/a 3.3, but I can tell you that I stuffed the back end of that with easily 3000+ pounds moving and drove from the Bay area over Donner pass with no major issues. A little slow going up the slope but that's it. Almost a 7000 foot climb! Good Luck

Yeah pretty stout engine, well my 3.6 definitely is. Haven’t loaded mine that heavy or weighed it but I’ve put a lot of cast iron in mine. Just don’t know what the springs can handle for towing, mine has some kind of load leveling shock pkg and they do probably need changed. It’s about 80k miles btw. Doing filter and fluid change in the spring,.

Yeah pretty stout engine. Haven’t loaded mine that heavy or weighed it but I’ve put a lot of cast iron in mine. Just don’t know what the springs can handle for towing, mine has some kind of load leveling shock pkg and they do probably need changed. It’s about 80k miles btw. Doing filter and fluid change in the spring,.
They're Mopars. They are tough!

:lol::steering::steering::steering:

I guess it may help to post my fender tag and dig out my FSM (that I don’t have) on the rear shock set up and what it can handle.

Who is the van experts here?

I borrow a friends 5x10 trailer frequently and pull it with my 07 T&C with a 3.3 in it. It pulls it without issue. I hauled a pile of rough cut lumber from the Amish, not kiln dried. I was careful to keep the load balanced well, but no issues pulling it. I was sure to leave extra room for breaking though.

SST - Single Axle - Car Mate Trailers, Inc

Carmate is the brand, but you're not going to get it for $1000.

utility-trailer-sst-single-axle-2.png

To keep weight low on the trailer I’d like a mesh floor like the one above, and probably use 4x8 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood to avoid bending the mesh floor up for heavier items like engines.

btw two wheel hand trucks are a great device for moving short blocks around the garage or on and off trailers.

Just don’t know what the springs can handle for towing, mine has some kind of load leveling shock pkg and they do probably need changed. It’s about 80k miles btw. Doing filter and fluid change in the spring,.

I will admit that the *** was draggin a little low with just OEM replacement shocks, nuthin fancy as I don't haul a lot! Funny thing is, a few years prior to this I replaced the leaf springs as I noticed one was bent. New springs never changed the ride height in the back, which I thought it would. Go figure?

I borrow a friends 5x10 trailer frequently and pull it with my 07 T&C with a 3.3 in it. It pulls it without issue. I hauled a pile of rough cut lumber from the Amish, not kiln dried. I was careful to keep the load balanced well, but no issues pulling it. I was sure to leave extra room for breaking though.

SST - Single Axle - Car Mate Trailers, Inc

Carmate is the brand, but you're not going to get it for $1000.

View attachment 439129

When pulling a trailer, or having stuff in the back of a vehicle I always slow for hard unbanked curves, and always leave room from the vehicle ahead of me for braking, unfortunately little rice bangers always seem to cut into the space I’m leaving for safety. So when going through cities I get in the far left lane with the big rigs to avoid the on off ramps and try to maintain pace.

I will admit that the *** was draggin a little low with just OEM replacement shocks, nuthin fancy as I don't haul a lot! Funny thing is, a few years prior to this I replaced the leaf springs as I noticed one was bent. New springs never changed the ride height in the back, which I thought it would. Go figure?

I assume my shocks are original, bought at about 40k, now 80k and I’m noticing a little more bounce and roughness in the back when loaded, so Firestone was probably correct that at least one shock has an issue. I looked at the time and didn’t see anything, but maybe has gotten worse.

Maybe our FCA Stellantis advisor @Dobalovr has some input.

A factory equipped trailer tow package on a 2014 T&C is rated for 3500 lbs. i pulled a 19’ hybrid camper fully loaded with my 2013 T&C at about 4000kbs through the Rocky Mountains. Sure it sucked going up some steep grades but with careful driving we made it no problem. Your Nivomat rear shocks will help level your ride and I recommend an equalizer bar hitch setup as well. Also does your trailer have electric brakes Brian?

Back