Thinking of buying a smallish utility trailer

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for the wise minds here to advise on some things I may not think of on my own.

I have a steel bed 20 ft car hauling trailer with dovetail and that sucker is really heavy and drags easily.

I’ve been thinking of buying a small, single axle, no brakes, trailer with a drop down tailgate/ramp to haul small items and lawn mowers with a 96 5 speed manual 2WD, man I love that truck, or a 96 Stock Durango 4x4 (have a drop hitch) or a 2014 T&C if possible.

If the Town and Country is capable of pulling it that would be ideal, if not I’d probably use the 4x4 Durango as I keep it where I live as a backup vehicle presently but may swap it with the Ram.

The T&C has ‘ride leveling’ rear shocks supposedly, apparently one is leaking. Per Firestone, so may need to fix that if true. Will look in the spring.

I’ll use it rarely probably, but when I do to haul conventional riding lawnmowers about 80 miles on highway, probably 70ish top speed on short stretch of interstate, but mainly 62-65ish on two lanes tops.

May also use to haul an appliance or furniture items I can’t fit in the Van, but I can get most things in there lol.

Probably also to haul brush, limbs to local burn area or furniture to dumpster.

Something along this vein, looking for something light enough to pull with the van.

upload_2021-2-15_16-38-47.jpeg

Not exactly, id like one a little larger, to handle two mowers and furniture, larger but not super heavy things. No cars. A wood or metal bed may be better to haul perhaps an occasional engine, Dana, etc with the trucks

Any advice and things to think of? Don’t want an expensive high end one, drop down tail gate not mandatory.

Input appreciated,

Bryan

Got one. Love it. I have hauled furniture, huge tool boxes, and of coarse my JD and attachments.

Care to share details and a pic if you have one, don’t know if people take pics of their trailers lol

How much am I looking at $

Oh yeah, I’ll probably haul a tool box and others sub 500-600 lb items

Care to share details and a pic if you have one, don’t know if people take pics of their trailers lol

How much am I looking at $
Ill look for pics. Buried in a file somewhere. I think it was around $1000

Ill look for pics. Buried in a file somewhere. I think it was around $1000

That’s what I was hoping for. I think it’s going to be real handy.

I’ve borrowed a friends previously, it also had a tilting bed instead of drop down tailgate and wood floor, but I think it was about $2k or more. He used it for 4x4 side by side off road toy. Don’t need that HD.

Looks like I can get a receiver hitch for around $150 for the van and if it had a tow package could handle up to 3.5K. Mine isn’t so equipped so don’t know what it can handle

How much can a van like mine handle? Anyone have any experience?
Mine pulls pretty easy. I unhook it and push it in the garage with one hand. Going down the road with my JD rider on the back it's like it's not there.

Mine pulls pretty easy. I unhook it and push it in the garage with one hand. Going down the road with my JD rider on the back it's like it's not there.

are you pulling with a van or truck?

which van if that’s what you have? Tow pkg?

I repacked the bearings just to be safe. They looked good. You may have issues if you pull it across many states. If I was to pull it to Carlisle Penn. from Iowa I would cross my fingers. LOL

I’ll just be doing in a 100 mile radius, unless I get a good deal on a Dana and they are only about ~250 lbs. I wouldn’t go too far for one.

Back