Thinking of starting a you tube channel

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a you tube channel based on 61 Plymouths.
I currently have 8 different 61 Plymouth projects I’m working on. I have 8 additional 61 Plymouth parts cars with 4 more yet to pick up!
I have 10 60-64 Chrysler full size parts car with lots of interchange for 61s.
I have no illusions that I will ever finish all projects in my lifetime. I sure am having fun with it while I’m still here…….
I have been very inspired by the Cold War Motors Y/T channel with the 60 Fury restoration.
Something like that only it will be just 61 Plymouth content

My question for you guys is…..
Any of you had/have a channel before?
If so what are the do’s and dont’s of starting a channel

IMG_6031.jpeg

IMG_6027.jpeg

I currently have 8 different 61 Plymouth projects I’m working on. I have 8 additional 61 Plymouth parts cars with 4 more yet to pick up!
I have no illusions that I will ever finish all projects in my lifetime. I sure am having fun with it while I’m still here…….
I have been very inspired by the Cold War Motors Y/T channel with the 60 Fury restoration.

View attachment 650569

View attachment 650570
I have never created a channel, just made videos to share with friends and family. Go for it!

Music is the big issue I found with YouTube. Even a radio playing in the back ground can get ya after doing all your hard work.

View attachment 650569

View attachment 650570
The mistake I made was the name for my channel. It is time consuming & a lot of people don’t want to be in the video & that can hurt the fluid of the video. Some people don’t want you to video on their property too. Having an assistant is a plus. Multiple camera angles is very helpful. Video/audio gear & software to edit. My channel has evolved over the years as I’ve learned

I have a channel. My advice. Make sure you have enough storage and a PC to do editing and uploads from. Also be consistent with your uploads. 1-2 videos a week and eventually the algorithm will pick you up distributing your videos and you'll start reaching a broader audience. Be consistent. It's time consuming to do right. One day I'll get back at it.

Good luck with it!

Former YouTube addict here. Never had a channel or even made a comment. I spend enough time reading other people's, I was wise enough not to enter that rabbit hole. My thoughts-

A somewhat knowledgeable videographer is a must, unless you want to spend 2-3 times as much time completing the task at hand. This person or yourself should also be proficient in editing. Long videos don't attract the younger audience, YouTube has recently added a "shorts" section, I'm guessing in response to tic toc.

I never noticed the sign in your avatar. We used to have one of those in west Edmonton mall, I bought my first high end spyderco there twenty years ago

I have a YT channel, but it's mostly about music, not cars. My advice is: don't have delusions that you'll get a lot of viewers or traction quickly. There are MILLIONS of videos out there and someone finding your video is like finding a needle in a haystack. So, in other words, create videos that satisfy you, and if someone else happens to enjoy it, that's great, but don't fall into the trap of basing the value you get from your channel from the number of views or subs . . .

How is it that you can get around the music issue. Don’t you have to submit to ads?
Yep the copy rights are difficult but manageable

I think I have enough 61 content to keep it interesting to fans of 61s (All 20 of them)…
I’m pouring additional concrete slab this spring. Going line up the projects and begin restorations of 61s

I have no illusions of making $
with Y/T channel based on 61 Plymouths….

Just want to have some fun.
My 20 year old autistic son wants to do it with me.
He’s just getting interested in old cars.
A couple minutes into this Y/T vid is my place.
From Rocket Restorations.

Since I´m a gen Y ( born in 1990 is that gen Y ??) 80% of my TV consumption is YouTube. The rest is streaming via Netflix or live sports like NFL. My advice is get yourself a decent microphone. No matter how interesting the content is I´ll shut the video down if the mic is garbage. Wind noise, bad quality or extreme volume changes will scare away most people. It´s like having a beautiful girlfriend that has constantly bad breath :lol: just not acceptable

Just don't do any magnet fishing or "auditing" police stations.

We have enough of that garbage.

Ok,I had to look up magnet
fishing out of curiosity.

I’m a scrap metal salvage guy for living. Recently got this stainless tobacco leaf mixer.

Had this round most powerful magnet on the end to remove any metals in tobacco leafs.

Just got in this 61 4dr with a large dent in passenger front door.

Applied magnet,gave it a yank,
(POOF) dent is gone…….
Thanks for the idea John.

Are you not entertained!!!!!!!!
Good content?
Just don't do any magnet fishing or "auditing" police stations.

We have enough of that garbage.

IMG_9229.jpeg

IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9230.jpeg

IMG_9231.jpeg

IMG_9232.jpeg

Ok,I had to look up magnet
fishing out of curiosity.

I’m a scrap metal salvage guy for living. Recently got this stainless tobacco leaf mixer.

Had this round most powerful magnet on the end to remove any metals in tobacco leafs.

Just got in this 61 4dr with a large dent in passenger front door.

Applied magnet,gave it a yank,
(POOF) dent is gone…….
Thanks for the idea John.

Are you not entertained!!!!!!!!
Good content?

View attachment 650975

View attachment 650976

View attachment 650977

View attachment 650978

View attachment 650979

That would have been a great short video! Interesting mixer too, that should be worth a few bucks to the right person. Thinking about it, the "shorts" section of YouTube would be a good way to break your teeth to the uploading experience. And to add to Big_Johns list of what not to do... Do not make your own license plate and drive your '61 Plymouth around without insurance and registration claiming to be a "sovereign citizen". That never ends well, from what I've seen on YouTube.

Edit. Actually, you know what? That would make a good YouTube video. Unfortunately the stupidity bar is dropping by the day making competition fierce, from what I've seen on YouTube, and real life. That's what makes YouTube so great. Unfiltered realism.

Last edited:
How is it that you can get around the music issue. Don’t you have to submit to ads?

I think I have enough 61 content to keep it interesting to fans of 61s (All 20 of them)…
I’m pouring additional concrete slab this spring. Going line up the projects and begin restorations of 61s
If there is music playing in your video that is not yours or something you've bought a license to use, you will likely get copyright claimed, which means you cannot monetize the video. Now if you are a small channel (like mine) it doesn't matter because the channel will likely never get enough subs or watch hours to begin monetizing anyway, but if for some chance your channel blows up and allows you to start making money off of ad views, you'll want to be careful to silence any music that happens to find it's way in, or make sure you buy a license to use some of that "YouTube" music that all sounds like songs you've heard in the 80s or like what you'd hear at a high school prom . . . ymmv.

Back