Thoughts on a 64, 413???

If you are just going to cruise the car/highway I would just keep and freshen the 318 poly engine. They are a better engine than a 413. As mentioned before if it was a running car sure, parked since 1985, no.
Your opening 3 cans of worms. Big block where a small block was. 1)Trans is different bellhousing and ball and trunion front driveshaft joint, pushbutton campared to cable column/floor shift. 2) You probably will need 1965 C body, big block mounts. A 1964 Imperial is not a 1965 up C body. 3) all the accessory brackets do not swap, so you end up with accessories that have been dormant since 1985, water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, (alternator excluded) so you can change them now or breakdown and change them later.
Yes this swap can be done. Chevy easy, no.
Yes, with all the advice on here , probably not a road worth going down. It was an expensive fill up today, probably keep the 2bbl 318 for now, lol

Get the Chrysler and get it going. sounds like a good one to me.

A lot more car than a Fury, but in a different way, maybe for a more mature car owner, no pretenses of high performance or need for red light races, just understated power, cushy comfort, the ride is probably a night and day difference, all things being equal like both cars in good fettle.

Not to mention the Imperial w 413 4bbl should walk all over the 318 Poly 2bbl Fury from a light.
Woah Loadrunner, I am not ready for the rocking chair just yet! I ain’t driving around in no granny car, I have a rep to protect lol

Woah Loadrunner, I am not ready for the rocking chair just yet! I ain’t driving around in no granny car, I have a rep to protect lol
Nothing granny about a ‘64 Imperial coupe.:realcrazy:

Yes, with all the advice on here , probably not a road worth going down. It was an expensive fill up today, probably keep the 2bbl 318 for now, lol
It would just be easier to get a newer than your car for a parts car. That mid sixties era they changed from old Chrysler standards to same as everyone else.

The '64 Imperial needs to be resurrected.

One time, I went to look an old boat like that, out of my price range, $1500 from elderly one owner couple, turnkey, in garage it's whole life without a spot on the floor, 26k original miles. Looked at it and left.

One other thing to consider is the possible difference in torsion bar ride between poly and 413
I have a Parts 65 Newport that has the motor mount needed. If I remember right the c body 65 BB trans is a one year only trans with cable shift
and standard tail shaft which is different from 64/65 imperial.

BF12B366-91A8-4DB4-B8B4-D098C6CFE375.jpeg

The 413 got excellent MPG for its day. The '62 New Yorker won the economy race for Luxury Car Class in '62 with 18 MPG. The '62 New Yorker I had also got 18. My '70 440 get 12; may parent's '65 Newport with HP 383 got 17.

The 413 got excellent MPG for its day. The '62 New Yorker won the economy race for Luxury Car Class in '62 with 18 MPG. The '62 New Yorker I had also got 18. My '70 440 get 12; may parent's '65 Newport with HP 383 got 17.
Currently my 65 with the LA 318 2 bbl, I am getting 12mpg on the highway at 55mph, should I be getting better mileage than that?

The '64 Imperial needs to be resurrected.

One time, I went to look an old boat like that, out of my price range, $1500 from elderly one owner couple, turnkey, in garage it's whole life without a spot on the floor, 26k original miles. Looked at it and left.
It’s a difficult decision for someone to restore a car like that based on cost to do ot and end value result.

If you are just going to cruise the car/highway I would just keep and freshen the 318 poly engine. They are a better engine than a 413. As mentioned before if it was a running car sure, parked since 1985, no.
Your opening 3 cans of worms. Big block where a small block was. 1)Trans is different bellhousing and ball and trunion front driveshaft joint, pushbutton campared to cable column/floor shift. 2) You probably will need 1965 C body, big block mounts. A 1964 Imperial is not a 1965 up C body. 3) all the accessory brackets do not swap, so you end up with accessories that have been dormant since 1985, water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, (alternator excluded) so you can change them now or breakdown and change them later.
Yes this swap can be done. Chevy easy, no.

Apparently, the original poly was replaced with an LA 318, unless the OP is mixed up as to what an LA is vs. a poly. . . If the poly is still there, I would definitely not replace it.

I think it has an LA318 in it?

LA stands for Light A.

Currently my 65 with the LA 318 2 bbl, I am getting 12mpg on the highway at 55mph, should I be getting better mileage than that?

My last street drive Mopar car was back in the 80's going to college, a baby blue '65 Polara 4dr with super tuned Wideblock, dual exhaust. I could never get better than 14mpg around town, and in disgust I traded it to a car lot for a '86 Nissan Sentra 2dr hatchback that got probably over 30mpg and was way safer on the highway, especially in winter.

I went to a concert 80 miles away in a snow storm in the Polara - the stupid things you do - fishtailing at highway speeds, only to find out it was cancelled. It was white knuckle drives like that that made me come to my senses and get a more modern vehicle with better traction and gas mileage.

How many bolts holding on the valve cover?

poly 318’s are sweet.

To begin with, I am not a mechanic However, when the 413 was in its heyday my dad drove Imperials. he had a 413 in his 59,62 and 64. As a road salesman he put around 125,000 miles on each. never missed a beat. Even the 64,which I beat unmercifully, never broke. As you can see to the left, I owned a 64 from 1993 to 2016. Never drove it much. But when I did the 413 always performed. These were never really designed to be a racing engine. All of the modifications are a testament to the inherent good design. Just a point, With a 2:93 final drive ratio my 64 in proper tune ran 0-60 in under 10 seconds. Not bad for a 5000 car with a single exhaust. Why not consider a 318 LA engine instead? Plenty of after market speed parts are available and for the street this might be a good alternative.

It all depends on the rear gears, the size and weight of the car, and how you drive. Several things are true: bigger car, small engine, bad mileage. 318 4bbl (only factory years for that on an LA was '79-'82) gets better MPG than a 2bbl. 2.76 gears will get better millage than 3.91.

So, anywhere within those, plus other factors, can determine your MPG. I had a buddy with a '67 Dodge Pickup, 318, 4 Speed. Factory equipped with a 2bbl he got 12. When he installed an Edelbrock intake and 4bbl, he got 17. I got 16-18 with my '79 Cordoba, 360 4bbl. I got 20-23 with my '84 Fifth Avenue, 318 2 bbl. However, that had a lock-up torque converter which helped with the MPG.

There's a lot of reasons why cars get what they get.

Back