Throttle Linkage

Fango

Reaction score
Hello guys.
could somebody please send me pics where i can see how to install all the Throttle Linkages on my 1978 Cordoba (360cui)?

All of the Chrysler throttle and transmission linkages are all pretty much the same in their configuration, just different in looks and where the adjustments are. At least for the V-8 cars which use a throttle cable set-up from about 1965 to into the 1980s.

Curious as to the reason for the question? New/different carburetor? Something that happened when the vehicle was with a prior owner? Or parts lost, partially or totally?

There are some threads in here with pictures, which can probably be searched.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

All of the Chrysler throttle and transmission linkages are all pretty much the same in their configuration, just different in looks and where the adjustments are. At least for the V-8 cars which use a throttle cable set-up from about 1965 to into the 1980s.

Curious as to the reason for the question? New/different carburetor? Something that happened when the vehicle was with a prior owner? Or parts lost, partially or totally?

There are some threads in here with pictures, which can probably be searched.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Didnt know that they are all the same thanks for the advice. Im asking because mine are not mounted and i have to figure out where to put it all.

Didnt know that they are all the same thanks for the advice. Im asking because mine are not mounted and i have to figure out where to put it all.
Two types, 3 section (old style) & single (new style(?)
The Factory service manual is your friend, get one.
These clips are from a 1973 Dodge Factory Service Manual (FSM). This will give you a idea as Mopar passenger car line don't change much.

1973 FSM Throttle Rod Adjustment (8 Cylinder Models with 3 Section Throttle Rod).jpg

1973 FSM Throttle Rod Adjustment (8 Cylinder Models with Single Section Throttle Rod).jpg

They are not all the same! If you don't have the correct linkage, it won't ever probably be right, at least the kickdown linkage.

They are not all the same! If you don't have the correct linkage, it won't ever probably be right, at least the kickdown linkage.
Correct, but they are all located in the same orientation to each other. Throttle cable is the closest one to the carbueretor, as suspected. The kickdown linkage is farther out, next in importance, then the cruise linkage attaches the farthest away from the carburetor. As if the cable throttle linkage would be on all cars, then the automatic transmission could be the next most important and probable to be on the car, then the cruise control.

The kickdown linkage saw several variations, but was always in the same place on the carb stud. 1965-1968 were solid linkages that adjusted "up top", near cyl #5 on the intake manifold with a threaded rod. With the Fuselage cars in 1969 or 1970 (I know my '70 was this way), the threaded rod was replaced by a sliding adjustment held with a bolt. On my '80 Newport and a bit prior, I suspect, depending upon B-body or C-body, maybe starting in the middle 1970s, the adjustment was moved "down below" near the transmission bellhousing area. The "ease of adjustment capabilities" was gone as the car had to be on a lift to access it. Plus a "special tool" to hold the linkage forward while doing the adjustment.

So, for the kickdown linkage: threaded rod, then sliding sections with a bolt holding the adjustment and rods together, then "hidden" from topside view. In that order. Adjustability was always there, just a matter of where it was done.

1964 and prior used a different geometry and attachment of the throttle linkage to the carburetor, so "different in many aspects" than what came later.

CBODY67

Looks like I mis-spoke on the order of the items, carb to the outside. Cruise control attaches to the "Lost Motion Link" beside the main throttle cable, with the transmission items being on the far outside of things. Which makes the order: main throttle cable, cruise control cable (if equipped), and then the transmission kickdown linkage. My apologies.

CBODY67

Back