Time for a little art

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just picked this up. It's a signed print from an oil painting done in '71 by Robert Bechtle, a photorealist painter from San Fransisco.
It may seem as though I picked it up for obvious reasons but it goes a little deeper than that. I thought you all might enjoy some culture this weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I sincerely am a fan of photorealism. Thrilled for you that you were able to obtain something like that.

Is he the guy who also did the Family pic with a ca. 1967 Pontiac Safari ?

It has a 63 Chrysler in it.
You know you're right Dave. I thought it was a '64 and in fact the original painting is titled "64 Chrysler", at least according to the Christies catalog. Definitely '63 taillights though.

He did this one in '81 and its oil on linen if you can believe that.

image.jpg

I was wrong, it was titled 61 Pontiac and it was the same Artist. Just found it.

Robert_Bechtle,_’61_Pontiac,_1968–69.jpg

Robert_Bechtle,_’61_Pontiac,_1968–69.jpg

I'm shocked Klause, your memory is usually very accurate. This move have you frazzled?

I messed it up with the year of it's creation, but still wrong as it was 68 not 67.

Cool work of art for a Mopar lover. I never paid much attention to photorealism artists until last year I happened upon a Richard Estes exhibition and it blew me away. Now I know about another artist who works in that style, thanks for sharing.

Matt you know this is a difficult crowd to interduce a little culture too, it will always go off the rails.

Back