Timing chain/gear?

carguy300

Reaction score
I need some advise on whether or not to change my timing chain and gear on my 300. I have my water pump housing off and timing cover is wide open for removal. Ive never done a mopar change out. Would I be smart to go ahead and change out? Ive already got crank set on on dead center and dist rotor set at #1. Is it pretty simple to do and whats a good replacement manufacturer. A good motor gasket set. I want to change out my distributor and keep point ign. Who makes a good replacement for this? Also broke off a stud on my brake booster, any ideas on where to get another good booster. One more thing!, timing cover, water pump housing and distributor seam to have black silicone around them, is this factory or has motor been in before? Ideas and advise as always. Thanks.

Either Cloyes or Mel Gear make a good replacement timing set. Fel-Pro for the gaskets and cover seal. Be sure to add some silicone sealer on the lower corners of the timing cover. Factory covers did not come with black silicone sealer, so it was probably done before. Halifax shops, a vendor on this site can do a factory rebuild on you distributor. Avoid at all costs buying a replacement at Car-Crap or Auto-Bone. A good rebuild shop such as Power Brake Booster Exchange can usually replace broken studs on the booster.

Dave

Either Cloyes or Mel Gear make a good replacement timing set. Fel-Pro for the gaskets and cover seal. Be sure to add some silicone sealer on the lower corners of the timing cover. Factory covers did not come with black silicone sealer, so it was probably done before. Halifax shops, a vendor on this site can do a factory rebuild on you distributor. Avoid at all costs buying a replacement at Car-Crap or Auto-Bone. A good rebuild shop such as Power Brake Booster Exchange can usually replace broken studs on the booster.

Dave
Yeah the black silicone got me to wondering. I didnt think about rebuilding my distributor, I just had my alt rebuilt few weeks ago. Im trying to keep this original as possible. May pull the cover and ck the chain and gear and see if it has been done since iv got it tore down this far! Thanks Dave.

I'd at least look at it since the hard work is done.

BTW, silicone didn't start getting used for gaskets until the 80's.

Post a pic of the broken stud and we may be able to figure how to change/repair it.

I'd at least look at it since the hard work is done.

BTW, silicone didn't start getting used for gaskets until the 80's.

Post a pic of the broken stud and we may be able to figure how to change/repair it.
Yes thats what Im thinking, is there anything tricks I need to know when removing and reinstalling the timing cover? Someone has used an abundance of black silicone on parts, everything came apart suprisingly easy.

IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

If your upper timing gear has plastic teeth, it is the original. Get rid of it. Technically these are non-interferennce engines, but the clearances may be getting loose. My 383 Magnum bent a few valves when my chain jumped a few teeth. Then there is the tow truck.....
Mark

I have dealt with waay worse for sure PM me.

Looks like the condenser has been changed. That might be an issue by itself, from what I've seen in other forums of late. Old, NOS items usually fix the issues the newer ones might be causing.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Yeah I saw that wire strip on condenser. After I ck timing chain/ gear Ill go from there. Didnt make my summer dead line to get her runnin so I can slow down, be a little more thorough!

Those straps are OEM no issues with them actually better than a wire.

1696524350361.png

Last edited:

View attachment 620606

I recently worked with Raymond at Halifax Hops because he had a rare distributor that I needed for one of my cars and he also had the nos Chrysler ignition parts that I also wanted in both my distributors that he did for me. Just outstanding service and very easy to work with and provides some perks as well just because he is a good businessman. I am very pleased and since I trust nothing currently available in terms of ignition parts these days, it was an easy decision for me. We have very busy freeways out here and no one wants to break down on one and freeways are very hard to avoid.

I do have my own Sun distributor machine that still works well after all these years of using it but still, sending them to Ray was an easy decision for the above reasons.

View attachment 620606
Yes, bands are better than wires. I know that some brands put the vinyl sleeve on the bands, too. I was just keying off of the blue sleeve as being "new", which is why I commented.

Thanks for that great picture of NOS Mopar parts!!
CBODY67

Back