Tire size question for my '66

Jeff Skibenes

Reaction score
So, my 1966 Chrysler Newport currently has P215/75R14 tires. Given the size of the car, they look thin and short. I'd like to go to P225/70R14. Does anyone know if I made such a change, is there a likelihood that the tires would rub? Also, in my search, I'd like to find that tire with a 3/8" white side wall, but so far all I can find is either black wall or 3/8" red side wall. It seems as soon as you go to the 15 inch tires all the options are more available. Anybody with any constructive thoughts or opinions that would like to weigh in pro or con?

I don't remember what I had on my '68 Suburban but I had 235s on my '69 Fury III and '70 and '71 T & Cs and the '77 Newport.

So, my 1966 Chrysler Newport currently has P215/75R14 tires. Given the size of the car, they look thin and short. I'd like to go to P225/70R14. Does anyone know if I made such a change, is there a likelihood that the tires would rub? Also, in my search, I'd like to find that tire with a 3/8" white side wall, but so far all I can find is either black wall or 3/8" red side wall. It seems as soon as you go to the 15 inch tires all the options are more available. Anybody with any constructive thoughts or opinions that would like to weigh in pro or con?

You can easily go to 29" diameter (P235/75R15) with standard offset wheels and not rub a thing. If you can find 15" hubcaps you like that's the way to go today. Remember disc brakes w/ 15" wheels were an option for your car. IIRC, 8.55x15 was the size tire. H78X15 or J78X15 would be roughly equivalent. L78X15 roughly the same as P235/75R15.

You should bite the bullet, and find a set of 15 x 7 wheels. Then get a set of 235 - 75/15s. Hankook and Cooper make them.

Hubcaps are out there.
upload_2021-6-14_11-33-31.png

These hub caps in 15 inch are made of this metal often known as "unobtainable"

Not so much worried about biting the bullet as I am about keeping the original hub caps on the car. And I don't think they ever made them in a 15 inch

The only 15" wheelcover for your year are the classic Disc Brake ones with the red centres.

Your originals were only ever 14". To keep them you have to have custom 15" wheels made with a rim ring to allow 14" wheelcovers.

In terms of 14" tires with a narrow white wall, you're pretty much relegated to places that sell reproductions like Coker Tire. Be prepared to pay.

The only 15" wheelcover for your year are the classic Disc Brake ones with the red centres.

Your originals were only ever 14". To keep them you have to have custom 15" wheels made with a rim ring to allow 14" wheelcovers.

In terms of 14" tires with a narrow white wall, you're pretty much relegated to places that sell reproductions like Coker Tire. Be prepared to pay.
upload_2021-6-14_12-2-10.png

In '66, disc brakes were an option, and they came with 15 inch wheels.

View attachment 466596
What car is in that picture? That is a very different tail light configuration than my 66 Newport

Hankook offers Whitewalls.

IMG_20160610_174037861_HDR.jpg

I have a '66 T&C, and a 65 300 Convertible.
The T&C had the nice extra cost New Yorker deep wheel covers that I was reluctant to give up. So, I splurged on a set of Diamond Back custom radials. I have to say the car looks "normal" now, and the ride, handling and vibration levels on the DB tires are first rate.
For the 65 300, I was upgrading to the 1973 disc brakes so the decision was forced. I sourced a set of M-body 15" wheels from a pick a part, and a set of disc brake wheel covers from eBay, one at a time. The parts catalog indicates disc brakes were a late fleet option for '65's; that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I have the Cooper whitewalls on it, I would have to sand off the Kuhmo name if I had those.
The problem with most standard 14" tires is the overall diameter, often 2 inches less than OEM. These cars don't look right on these IMHO, so check tire height when shopping.
Mark

20200528_143456.jpg

Have a 15" wheel made with Correct offset & a 275/60 can Easily Be tucked.
Wheel Vintiques makes some IN America for very cheap. Car will drive way better with 15"s anyways. 95% of 14" tires are straight garbage & have been for well over a decade. Every major line dropped off 14"s

Back