Took a cool pic?

enhanced.jpg

Up North! Dead of winter.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning from about 100 miles away. I-96 East, just outside Lansing MI, looking North easterly about 7 pm TODAY.

Had just heard on my radio a several thunderstorm warning in the Caro Michigan area (thumb region). I snapped this pic minutes later.

again I was about ~ 100 miles away, so it was looking like 15K ft cloud tops (i'd guess), NOT a spectacular storm but 60 mph winds, heavy rain, maybe tiny hail.

I presume the cell on the left (a bit more billowy) was the bad guy here.

2017-07-23 19.07.08(1).jpg

Eclipse day. There's another shot at this in 2024 btw, And 2-3 times a year there's one somewhere in the world.

Say, if any of you folks are in the totality path, AND you're out viewing (SAFELY -- dont look at it without eye protection, dont point an ordinary camera at it either, etc.) the event, see if you can get some shots?

NOT necessarily of the Sun itself, BUT its gonna get dark in the middle of the day ... that'll be cool too cuz itll happen kinda fast. Hey videos are cool too if so inclined.

oh, and even IF you are not at an event .. its gonna happen anyway if you're in the path, so whip out that cell phone if you can and get some cool shots of whats going on around you.

Anyway, thanks

00-1-2-7.jpg

Last edited:
you three guys -- detmatt, 300rag, and jct -- did spectacular. some golf-applause please.

29XYmgE.gif

no seriously great work. thanks. We'll see if anybody else got anything.

I pulled over at 2:15 to set up. Detroit got an 80% deal like detmatt showed.

but my indirect method didn't work so well -- i did it last in 1979 in college on that one and thought I remembered how. :(

April 2024 I'll hop down to Cleveland OH and try it again. :D

We were lucky to see it here in "Sunny California", we had multiple opportunities to view it here.

Alan

At Maximum Eclipse
eclipse-lompoc-1.jpg
eclipse-lompoc-2.jpg

Not just any welding helmet was suitable for the task, I hope those were.

Back