Took a cool pic?

Eclipse day. There's another shot at this in 2024 btw, And 2-3 times a year there's one somewhere in the world.

Say, if any of you folks are in the totality path, AND you're out viewing (SAFELY -- dont look at it without eye protection, dont point an ordinary camera at it either, etc.) the event, see if you can get some shots?

NOT necessarily of the Sun itself, BUT its gonna get dark in the middle of the day ... that'll be cool too cuz itll happen kinda fast. Hey videos are cool too if so inclined.

oh, and even IF you are not at an event .. its gonna happen anyway if you're in the path, so whip out that cell phone if you can and get some cool shots of whats going on around you.

Anyway, thanks

View attachment 139148
The great thing for me is that it is going to cover the Niagara area so I do't have to travel at all to get the full eclipse!

Been poking around here in Moscow and found this place.

M 50   3.jpeg
M 50  1.jpeg
M 50  2.jpeg
M 50  5.jpeg

Saw this on one of the main streets in Moscow about 3 blocks from the Kremlin.
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-01 at 16.33.07.jpeg

I took this yesterday sitting on a bridge over the Allegheny river. That's all ice chunks, it does not normally freeze this much in a average winter
IMG_20180122_152154622.jpg

Forgot to mention it was in high 50s F when I took this.

Last edited:
What are you doing in Russia?
It's a work thing. Tough adjusting to the climate and NO language skills. Google Translate is a life saver. People think I am weird taking photos of cans and labels in the grocery store but since most photos are unrecognizable it is the only way to know what I am buying. It is a slow process and I have been able to lose 20 lbs without trying :)!
But I have seen some amazing things. The Central air force museum with all the one of one and experimental aircraft setting in an open field rusting away is both incredible and heart breaking at the same time. I mentioned to someone that the CIA spent millions on getting photos of what cost me about $4 to buy a ticket for.
I have also been to a tank museum with lots of WWII captured one of one German Armour and to a place call Patriots Park where they hold Tank Biathlons in the summer and have a fabulous collection of Aircraft, Armour, Missile launchers and boats. Lots of 90's and early 2K gear. If there is interest I can post photos but be aware there are LOT's.

Last edited:
It's a work thing. Tough adjusting to the climate and NO language skills. Google Translate is a life saver. People think I am weird taking photos of cans and labels in the grocery store but since most photos are unrecognizable it is the only way to know what I am buying. It is a slow process and I have been able to lose 20 lbs without trying :)!
But I have seen some amazing things. The Central air force museum with all the one of one and experimental aircraft setting in an open field rusting away is both incredible and heart breaking at the same time. I mentioned to someone that the CIA spent millions on getting photos of what cost me about $4 to buy a ticket for.
I have also been to a tank museum with lots of WWII captured one of one German Armour and to a place call Patriots Park where they hold Tank Biathlons in the summer and have a fabulous collection of Aircraft, Armour, Missile launchers and boats. Lots of 90's and early 2K gear. If there is interest I can post photos but be aware there are LOT's.
You should make it it's own thread. I always liked when I went places in the Navy finding off the beaten path places neighborhoods

You should make it it's own thread. I always liked when I went places in the Navy finding off the beaten path places neighborhoods

thread writes itself: "Off the Beaten Path" :). although i think there may a couple .. different names ... where people have started those. they tended to be more stories than pictures but to me and others were still very entertaining yarns.

ood luck/safe travels 66/440 :)

No special effects on my cell phone that I know of .. dirty lens? About 9pm, obviously the moon.

00-1-2-5-1.jpg

where in the world?

USA, Northbound "Snowbird" Interstate, looking at a city in the distance thats in another state from where photo is taken.

no need to blow up .. not enough pixels in this blowup to read the road signs. :)

00-1-2-3.jpg

Driving means one road. Get on at MI exit #78 and get off 21 hrs later FL exit #220.

Saw this on one of the main streets in Moscow about 3 blocks from the Kremlin.

whatsapp-image-2017-11-01-at-16-33-07-jpeg.jpg

I know several other "locals" here in Alabama who can't read a map either.

spotted on the street on this trip ... coulda put in wheels&tires thresd but i took pic myself . plus gives a clue to where i am :)
20180424_172249.jpg
20180424_172053.jpg

Back