Top stopped working Chrysler 300 1970

Waggy

Reaction score
The top on my Chrysler 300 has stopped going up and down. I het the switch and nothing. Manual says it has 30 amp fuse, but I cannot find the fuse. All of the fuses in the block are fine but none labelled Top. I really do not want to tear the car apart looking for a fuse. When I was not working on the top, I am sure it was easy to get to, now I do not see an easy way. Any help would be most appreciated!

Before you get too involved with taking the car apart, unhook the pump motor lead and hook a test light to the hot leads on the pump harness to see if you have power.

Dave

Before you get too involved with taking the car apart, unhook the pump motor lead and hook a test light to the hot leads on the pump harness to see if you have power.

Dave

Good idea. Also check the ground(s) on the motor. On my '66 convertible, the ground was bad. Worked great after fixing it.

The top on my Chrysler 300 has stopped going up and down. I het the switch and nothing. Manual says it has 30 amp fuse, but I cannot find the fuse. All of the fuses in the block are fine but none labelled Top. I really do not want to tear the car apart looking for a fuse. When I was not working on the top, I am sure it was easy to get to, now I do not see an easy way. Any help would be most appreciated!
Manual says 30 amp circuit breaker . It's located on the fuse block.

No fuse.

As said, check for voltage and good ground at the pump first.

Manual says 30 amp circuit breaker . It's located on the fuse block.

No fuse.

As said, check for voltage and good ground at the pump first.
I hate relay or circuit breakers! Thank you I found it in my manual and read the Header! I just looked at the fuse block diagram. It looks like there is a Window Lift Safety Relay and a Window Lift Circuit Breaker (30 Ampere) which connects to the W5B-12R wire that goes to the top switch. I just had the Power Windows fixed! Sure loved it when we only had fuses! These relays and breakers are so had to fine. Out to the car!

Well, I did check the fuse block and found out why the old 30 amp Window Lift Circuit breaker was sitting on the dash! As the windows work, I thought the repair shop put a new one in and left me the old one. They had not put it in, BUT the power windows still worked. I put it in, and tested the top, and all worked after I reconnected the pump wire, so I went for a drive. Top down, sun out and above freezing! I am in Surrey, BC, Canada. On the way home I lost the power from the battery and the engine stopped. I coast to the side of the road and checked out the power. Lights, radio, windows, antenna, and ignition, all did not work. The Top still worked. The battery had power. Call Good Sam, and 90 minutes later someone was there. They put a jumper pack on the battery and still no luck. Their truck was too small for a 1970 300, so I waited another 2 hours for a flat bed. Got a lift home, checked the battery and it was 12.27volts BUT the engine will not turn over. Before when this happened, if I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the car would start, but not this time! I would assume the person that I had replace my alternator and check the electrical would have checked the grounds, but he did not put in the breaker! I am sure I had checked the grounds before, but maybe I should replace the ground wires.
Funny thing when I put the circuit breaker in, it arced, so where was the power going? I was not using the window or top switches.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
sounds like a bad amp gauge. power goes from the battery through the bulkhead to the amp gauge. through the amp gauge to the fuse box. the top and windows are connected on the hot side of the amp gauge so they will work no matter what.

The same circuit breaker is used for the top and the windows.

You better figure out what the shop did to make the windows work without the circuit breaker in place. My bet is you fried something else, hopefully just a fusible kink, because of something they hooked up to bypass the circuit breaker.

Hey Waggy, I am in the middle of re-wiring a 69' 300 convertible. I noticed the bulk head connections can be very finicky, maybe check there too. I am in Pitt Meadows and would like to see your car some time.

Back