torsion bars and springs

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
Getting ready to start the swap to the 69 donor wagon body shell. The donor is a 318 car without the factory trailer tow package. My car is a 383 w/ac, and Towing package. Does the torsion bars need to be swapped, the FSM leads me to believe not it lists part# 2269 574-5 for wagons. I am planning to swapping rear ends and leaf springs. I did a search, didn't find a title that fit.

You will have to swap the whole stub-frame to keep the big block, so that would be complete with the torsion bars anyway.

Am I understanding this right ? There are bigblock and small block tbars for 2 and 4 door and not for wagon? Wonder if all the wagons have bigblock tbars...

Am I understanding this right ? There are bigblock and small block tbars for 2 and 4 door and not for wagon? Wonder if all the wagons have bigblock tbars...
Yea, that seems to be what the parts book says.

Saying there are small block and big block bars can be misleading.
More accurately, torsion bars come in varying diameters.
The larger diameter, the more weight it can handle.
A heavy car with a SB could have the same torsion bar as a lighter car with a BB.

Saying there are small block and big block bars can be misleading.
More accurately, torsion bars come in varying diameters.
The larger diameter, the more weight it can handle.
A heavy car with a SB could have the same torsion bar as a lighter car with a BB.
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that!

2016-04-14 19.24.40.jpg
When I looked in my Factory parts book FSM leads me to believe it lists part# 2269 574-5 for station wagons. The other descriptions are for exceptions. If we look at the stub frame threads all interchange except "All 1969 C Bodies, with the exception of Fury hardtops and coupes are interchangeable" Yes I agree they should be measured. So based on a measured diameter and the parts catalogue they may not have to be swapped if equal. If my car has larger ones it may be due to the trailer pack option.

Based on what I see for the second cross member, K-member they are also the same. see attached excerpts from 69 parts book

2016-04-14 19.24.40.jpg

2016-04-14 19.24.03.jpg

Back