Torsionbar adjustment..

Typically I measure height from the top of fender wheel lip to the ground.
Typically 27 to 27.5 inches is acceptable. Goal is not to have any "gap" between the top of the tire and fender opening.
Although not the "factory correct" way but works when we do alignments in our shop at my work.
To answer your question,turn the adjuster screw and jounce the front end after each adjustment,measure the height and adjust again until you get what you want.
There are not "exactly" how many turns to make 1 inch when you factor in a lot of variables. (tire size,overall condition of front end parts in general.
On a fresh rebuild or restoration I use an impact gun.
But on rusty old cars I lube the adjuster bolt and turn by hand to avoid breaking the bolt.
Always get an alignment done after adjusting the height.
Hope this helps..
boab october 2017 001.JPG

boab may 2018 001.JPG

Last edited:
Remember this: don’t adjust height with the front tires on the ground. Jack the front up to take the weight off the tires before turning the adjusting bolts. Lubricate them also.

It puts more load on the threads and they can gall or strip.

For your one inch try 8 turns. It will be different #of turns on each side.
It depends on the length of the bar, diameter of the bar, weight of car, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you cbarge.
I measure the height same as you do. Reason for me to lower the vehicle a bit is as follows:
A few years ago I had a tire change from 225/75/15 to 235/75/15. With that change the vehicle was raised 3 cm at the front and 1,5 cm at the back. I measured before and áfter the change ofcourse.

Because my workspace is very limited and I ain't getting any younger, I would like to jack up the car 1 time, jackstands under it, adjust the bolts to lower approximately 2 to 3 cm, lower the car and done ! instead of doing this 2, 3 or maybe even 4 times..:eek:
But I think it will be the last..:(

If so I can turn the clock back, right...No big deal as long as I count the turns.

Old shop trick, take a piece of chalk and put a vertical line on the adjusting adjusting bolt threads, every time you see the line you have made one turn. If you main objective is to get the car level again, find the pinch seam at the bottom of the rocker, measure the difference to the floor at the front of the rocker and at the rear of the rocker, jack up the front of the car. and back off the tension bolt until the measurement at the front and rear are both the same. As noted bounce the front of the car to settle the suspension with the car off the jack. It will probably take more than one try to get it level. Be sure if using this method that all the junk is out of your trunk and only the spare tire, jack and lug wrench remain. As noted, you will need an alignment when this adjustment is done.

Dave

Last edited:
Typically I measure height from the top of fender wheel lip to the ground.
Typically 27 to 27.5 inches is acceptable. Goal is not to have any "gap" between the top of the tire and fender opening.
Although not the "factory correct" way but works when we do alignments in our shop at my work.
To answer your question,turn the adjuster screw and jounce the front end after each adjustment,measure the height and adjust again until you get what you want.
There are not "exactly" how many turns to make 1 inch when you factor in a lot of variables. (tire size,overall condition of front end parts in general.
On a fresh rebuild or restoration I use an impact gun.
But on rusty old cars I lube the adjuster bolt and turn by hand to avoid breaking the bolt.
Always get an alignment done after adjusting the height.
Hope this helps..
View attachment 367459
View attachment 367461

You must have one of the few shops left that still have a rim gauge, cool.

Dave

Not that I would want my opinion to be taken for the gospel but I remember being told back in the 70s the drivers side would always be slightly higher than the passenger to account for the weight of the driver being seated in the Vehicle ? Never read it but was always told that.

Not that I would want my opinion to be taken for the gospel but I remember being told back in the 70s the drivers side would always be slightly higher than the passenger to account for the weight of the driver being seated in the Vehicle ? Never read it but was always told that.

That's typical, at my vehicle it's just the opposite: pass side is 1 cm higher...:realcrazy:

That's typical, at my vehicle it's just the opposite: pass side is 1 cm higher...:realcrazy:
Clearly, that doesn't count as a real measurement because it's metric and we're dealing with an American car... An American car that was built when we put a man on the moon without the metric system.

Maybe the original owner had a heavy spouse?

:rofl:

That said, a different story now: I've tried to find the formal owner in the USA. I have his name and title, everything.
A few years ago, after day's of searching the www, I found someone on FB which seem to be a relativ. Tried to contact but the result was he, or she, I don't remember, blocked me :stop: ..

Clearly, that doesn't count as a real measurement because it's metric and we're dealing with an American car... An American car that was built when we put a man on the moon without the metric system.

I'm sorry Big John, I mean my vehicle is 0,393 700 787 401 57 INCH higher on the right side :poke:

Back