Towing

We will see how the build goes . I don't want it to ride like a 1 ton. But I think it would be cool to get a small camper to do some trips. My 3/4 ton and big camper are fine but it would just be fun with a big c body. And the looks and conversation are worth it. Plus it would make a trip to the nationals or something like that way fun

Trailer brakes are also regulated State by State. In California, any trailer with a gross weight of over 1500 pounds is required to have them. Don't know about other States.

Regulations aside, Trailer brakes are just good common sense, on any trailer. I wouldn't run without them.
Consider that back in the 50's and 60's the standard family car was the tow vehicle of choice. Trucks were trucks, not comfy for travel like the pussy wagons of today.
simple up grades like extra leafs, (or helper springs), brake controller or hitch serge brakes and a trans cooler are really all that is needed to tow safely. Another thing to keep in mind is driving habits. 60/65 is top speed in ideal conditions. My sweet spot is 50/55 on the secondary roads. It kills me to see these "cowboys" passing at 70/80 mph with a camper or large enclosed trailer. The horse haulers are the worst.

The-Long-Long-Trailer-22.jpg

"TRAILER BRAKES FIRST, TRAILER BRAKES FIRST"

Regulations aside, Trailer brakes are just good common sense, on any trailer. I wouldn't run without them.
Consider that back in the 50's and 60's the standard family car was the tow vehicle of choice. Trucks were trucks, not comfy for travel like the pussy wagons of today.
simple up grades like extra leafs, (or helper springs), brake controller or hitch serge brakes and a trans cooler are really all that is needed to tow safely. Another thing to keep in mind is driving habits. 60/65 is top speed in ideal conditions. My sweet spot is 50/55 on the secondary roads. It kills me to see these "cowboys" passing at 70/80 mph with a camper or large enclosed trailer. The horse haulers are the worst.

And figure those cars had bias ply tires and single master cylinders we were really living on the edge!
Dad drove that 63 wagon out west and back with two fingers on the wheel, ac blown and cruise set at 70.
Back then the only RV per se were those slide in pick-up campers.
These new trailers that sit so high they blow all over like a party balloon seem less safe, certainly in the left lane doing 80 towed by mister hipster in his Escalade.

With my 3/4 ton and my equalizer set u honestly don't even know the trailer is there and it's almost 30 feet long you could go 75 all day long. If I'm hauling a car or a big camper like that yeah I'm making sure I have trailer brakes. If I hauled in a c body no matter what I would have trailer brakes just because of the size of the car and what your hauling it would be stressing the system

In California, any trailer with a gross weight of over 1500 pounds is required to have them. Don't know about other States.
I have a 2900lb trailer that came from South Dakota with no brakes. Homemade job with mobile home axles shortened to fit. It's great for a Bobcat as it's higher up. I definitely can feel it when I go to stop, I can only image the fifth wheel camper with no brakes, 7000+lbs pushing me isn't an experience I want to go through.

I have a 2900lb trailer that came from South Dakota with no brakes. Homemade job with mobile home axles shortened to fit. It's great for a Bobcat as it's higher up. I definitely can feel it when I go to stop, I can only image the fifth wheel camper with no brakes, 7000+lbs pushing me isn't an experience I want to go through.
I had a Coleman Williamsburg tent trailer for over ten years. Its max weight was 3500 pounds; it was large for a pop-up. From the day I bought it (used) the trailer brakes never worked on it. I pulled it with my '84 Fifth Avenue, my '79 Cordoba, and the '93 B250 van I had. The only time I regretted those brakes not working was when I was in Colorado and drove to Leadville. My Fifth's front brakes heated up on the return trip; made for a fun time. And, no, I am not one of those people who hit their brakes all the time; I use my transmission as much as possible. Even so, that 3500 pounds wanted to push me that day!!

Otherwise, I didn't miss the brakes. The trailer I have now I would not dream of towing if the brakes didn't work. One of the first things I did was to get a brake controller installed on my Durango. When I bought it and towed it home, and to storage, I did not have that controller. That, too, was fun! Durango did the job though.

20191004_094909.jpg

From another thread about air shocks it got me looking for the mess of stuff I've saved.
Key phrase: "can be installed at the factory or by your dealer".

73ply_trailor_03b.jpg

Also this chart shows C Bodies towing up to 7,000lbs

73ply_trailor_back_b.jpg

Anyone car tow at 70/75 mph. Dealing with an emergency at those speeds is a different matter. Your risking yourself and everyone around you.

Back