Transmission cooler popped

Dodge97318j

Reaction score
So I drove about 100 miles before the transmission started giving a flare shift. And then the upper radiator hose sprung a leak. And that's when I found it. Transmission fluid in the radiator, and coolant in the transmission.
I've opted to bypass the radiator cooler with an external cooler. I tried to drain and flush the transmission a few times, installing a new filter once but realizing quickly the damage is done. Clutch material plugged the filter.
So I know what I need to do. My question is, are there any converters and overhaul kits anyone here has had good or bad luck with?
I have taken the transmission apart completely and found all the hard parts and bushings are in great shape. I know that I will never get the converter flushed, so I need that and probably just a basic overhaul kit with clutches, steels and seal. The bands both look ok and aren't missing any material. I want to do it once and the right way but the cheapest way possible also. Please let me know your thought.

When you order your rebuild kit make sure you get the bands. Even though they show no signs of material coming off they were still exposed to coolant. You don't want to through all the cost and time of a rebuild and find out you have to replace a band later. Dacco is the what most auto parts carry for convertors. Fair pricing. If you can get a rebuild kit with Raybestos friction plates you should be good.
Make sure you replace all the seals. Good luck!

I have had good luck with ATP kits I think about $50-$60 for 727, bands are another $50-$60 all from rock auto plus shipping of course. Converters I am either buying a higher stall or I just have the stock one rebuilt by the guy my local trans shop uses to do his converters.

I ordered a rebuild kit through Rock Auto. The bands are TCI that I ordered through Summit. And I went with a Hughes Performance 2500 stall. With that converter I needed a 10 inch bolt circle flex plate. Went through it completely and got it together. And I love the 2500 stall.

Back