Transmission Fluid

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So, my pan gasket has leaked for sometime.

Finally I broke down and bought one of the truck gaskets that are supposed to seal so great, about $30.

Today I went to the local parts store to get fluid. Roughly $5.50 a quart. Yikes. Needed to stop at Walmart on the way home, near îdentical price and only a few bottles of Type F.

Is there an alternate fluid that could be used?

They had other fluid in gallon jugs.

So, my pan gasket has leaked for sometime.

Finally I broke down and bought one of the truck gaskets that are supposed to seal so great, about $30.

Today I went to the local parts store to get fluid. Roughly $5.50 a quart. Yikes. Needed to stop at Walmart on the way home, near îdentical price and only a few bottles of Type F.

Is there an alternate fluid that could be used?

They had other fluid in gallon jugs.

Per my transmission rebuilder, do NOT use type F. It looses viscosity in high temperature conditions. He recommends using Dextron 6 synthetic transmission fluid. I think that using type F is what caused the transmission to burn up in my yellow '68 Sport Fury.

Locally, the local WalMart is by far the least expensive place to get motor oil and such. Just that they all don't have identical product inventories for the older non-OEM oils. I knew Lowes had an aisle of automotive stuff, but never checked the prices.

CBODY67

I used to get the Tranny fluid at Family Dollar.

Don't use Type F. I know my brother said the maker of his shift kit recommended it, but I don't. Use what was designed for your transmission. Dexron III. This formula can't use the Dexron name anymore because the license expired, but you can still buy it. It's called Multi-car formula or universal or something like that. I would think Dexron VI would work because it's supposed to be backward compatible. Chrysler now uses ATF +5 which would work but it's not compatible with Dexron.

Completely irrelevant, maybe, but putting only a quart or so of Type F in my 1990 Chevy Celebrity caused the transmission to bang badly when shifting into drive or reverse.

Let me tell you what a Chrysler engineer told me around 1978 or so.. He said the difference between Type F and Dexron was there were more "friction modifiers" in Type F. The Dexron has a smoother shift because it slips more.

It was pretty funny, he had a deep southern accent and used "Mommy's Imperial" as the example.

This was late 70's so some of this goes out the window because of new formulas..... But the trans I built in 1981 or so that I ran Type F in, is still going strong with thousands of miles on it. At least 70K miles when I had the car and I'm not sure how many miles it has on it now that a friend owns it. It was in my A12 Roadrunner... and yes, I put that many miles on an A12 Roadrunner... and they weren't exactly easy miles.... I twisted a couple driveshafts in that car. .. With a 4:10 rear too.

So... YMMV.

Back