Tree Sap

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All
The 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport) was the recipient of a weeping elm (i think) tree this year at Carlisle. The trunk lid and some of the top feels like 100 grit sandpaper. I have tried Goo-Gone, 3M adhesive remover, grease/wax remover, acetone to no avail. The paint is original so I do not want to damage it if at all possible.
I have never 'clayed' a car and am seeking the knowledge of those that have. Would that be a solution? If not, any thoughts as to what would work? Taking it to a detailer is the 'last resort'.
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

Clay bar with a liberal application of detail spray as a lubricant.

Flatten the clay out, spray a small section and use straight strokes of the clay with just enough pressure to hold it to the car. Get the section done, spray a little more and wipe off with CLEAN microfiber towel. Mold and flatten bar when it gets dirty to show a clean side. If you drop it, get a new piece. If it gets too dirty, get a new piece.

I've removed overspray this way, so sap is nothing.

Wash and wax when done. I suggest Collinite 845 Insulator wax. A few coats of this and you'll find that sap doesn't stick near as well.

Went to a Father's Day, Cars for Cancer show and ended parking right under a weeping willow. Didn't think much about it at the time but once home the car had tiny dropplets of sap all over. All I used was soap and water in a spray bottle and everthing came off no problem.

Clay bar with a liberal application of detail spray as a lubricant.
Any particular brand of clay that you would recommend?
I have the Collinate 845 wax. Put on on last spring (should have been two coats ).
Omni

Last edited:
I would suggest some liberal soap and normal water first. Should be no reason to use abrasives of any type, but it should wash off, I believe. Especially if you have a good coat of wax on the car.

CBODY67

Any particular brand of clay that you would recommend?
I have the Collinate 845 wax. Put on on last spring (should have been two coats ).
Omni
Yea, you can build up coats of Collinite and it just gets better. Thin coats (less is more) does it.

My favorite clay is the Meguirs Professional either the C2000 or C2100. Problem is they are priced kind of high for what they are. The last time, I bought a generic brand off Amazon that seems to work well.

Amazon product ASIN B0BLSX7SSB
Just about any detail spray will work, although Chemical Guys does sell a special lube just for claying, but I've never used it.

Thinking about it, I'd do a good wash with Dawn dishwashing soap. Dawn being the only brand to use. That might strip the sap off, or at least make it easier to remove. It will also strip the wax.

I would suggest some liberal soap and normal water first. Should be no reason to use abrasives of any type, but it should wash off, I believe. Especially if you have a good coat of wax on the car.

CBODY67
Clay bar is not abrasive.

I know, but can be "labor intensive", as I understand it.

I know, but can be "labor intensive", as I understand it.
Not really. I can clay a car in about an hour. There are guys that take longer and whine about their arms being tired, but they are doing something wrong.

Clay bar is super easy and very effective for smooth paint. Put your hand in a plastic shopping bag, a thin one. Then lightly caress your paint, you will be amazed at how dirty paint is before claying. I use the plastic food handler disposable gloves as I clay to find what I missed. Don't forget to was your car before doing the clay.

Where in the hell is there a tree at Carlisle! :lol: Seriously though I've been able to get tree sap off of my son's '87 LeBaron GTS with warm water and a good car wash detergent. There is also ample wax on his ride. Good luck.

Good Day All
The 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport) was the recipient of a weeping elm (i think) tree this year at Carlisle.
I deal with pine sap on my cars. I use cheap oven cleaner. Spot test b4 you use it.

Where in the hell is there a tree at Carlisle! :lol: Seriously though I've been able to get tree sap off of my son's '87 LeBaron GTS with warm water and a good car wash detergent. There is also ample wax on his ride. Good luck.
Could also try hot water and polmolive dish soap in the shade.

When I live in GA for pine sap we used WD40. It works great and it’s not harmful. It also takes grease out of carpets and jeans

Back