Trouble with fuel tank:

bulldogchesty

Reaction score
I need some help. My 383 engine will not suck up gas from the fuel tank. Plenty of fuel. Pull out sender and it is not clogged. The inlet of the sender is sitting in fuel, but it won't suck out the fuel. I even hooked up an electric pump to the tank and and still won't suck up fuel. Any other ideas. It is a new fuel pump. The pump rod is new.

Where did yo up the electric pump in at? Up front by the motor?

If neither pump will pull fuel do you maybe have a blockage???

Is there maybe a hole in the pick not allowing it to create the vacuum to draw the fuel?

Can you blow through it? Literally take line at the front an blow through it. Your mouth is good enough, shouldn't take a lot of pressure.

Alan

I hooked up the electric pump right to the gas tank. I pulled the sending unit multiple times and the line is not clogged. The sending unit held vacuum when I sucked on it. I had the gas tank out three times.

Held vacuum??? I do hope you had physically added a cap or plug to the tank end first - otherwise you shouldn't get one.......

I think you may have misunderstood. When I pulled out the fuel sending unit out of the gas tank I applied vacuum only to the short line on the sending unit.

I think you may have misunderstood. When I pulled out the fuel sending unit out of the gas tank I applied vacuum only to the short line on the sending unit.

If you are sure the pickup tube is sound, start looking at all of the fuel lines going from the tank to the fuel pump, you probably have a hole in one of the rubber connectors or a pin hole from rust in one of the steel lines.

Dave

I put in 2.5 gallons of gas yesterday, and now the tank is almost empty. Evaporate that fast or someone stole my gas. Now I know why I am not getting fuel.

I put in 2.5 gallons of gas yesterday, and now the tank is almost empty. Evaporate that fast or someone stole my gas. Now I know why I am not getting fuel.

If you still need to check the line, put a bolt in the line where it hooks to the tank and clamp it down. Disconnect the fuel line from the steel line at the fuel pump and install a longer piece of hose and clamp it down. Then blow into the free end of the hose and see if it will hold pressure.

Dave

If you disconnect the hose at the fuel pump inlet, gas should pour fast out of the tube (maybe 0.5 gal/min), just from gravity. If it just trickles out, and the car is level, there may be a restriction. We assume when the sender was out, you replace the fuel hose w/ quality "fuel injection" type hose. While that hose is off, blow air thru the steel tubing.

Back