trunk mounted luggage rack - haven't seen one on a slab yet

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello C-body Fans,

I stumbled upon this pic while pawing through FBM the other day.

Fairly certain I've never seen a luggage rack on a slab era C-body. (wagons, yes - roof mount).

Does anyone know if they made a factory option (non-aftermarket), for slab trunks?

Shared wisdom appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

luggage rack.jpg

NO factory luggage rack options on C-bodies. The trunks were already massive, so why a trunk rack? Plus, if the sealing was not good, trunk leaks happen.

Trunk racks were usually on cars which had smaller trunks, popularized by foreign import brands and Corvettes.

CBODY67

That is a rare car. 1970 Newport convertible, only 1124 produced. The luggage rack does nothing for the car. What color is that rag top?

Last edited:
Hello C-body Fans,

I stumbled upon this pic while pawing through FBM the other day.

Fairly certain I've never seen a luggage rack on a slab era C-body. (wagons, yes - roof mount).

Does anyone know if they made a factory option (non-aftermarket), for slab trunks?

Shared wisdom appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 625323
I do not believe they offered one for the slabs. You can look here in the accessories catalog The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1965 - 1969) .

Chrysler did offer one for the '70 shown, but from looking at the pics in the accessory catalog, I'd say this is an aftermarket version.

For the comments about trunk size, the convertible has the spare tire on the right side and that takes up about 1/3 of the available trunk. Where the spare was in the hardtops is taken up by the top when it's down. You can't put anything there or you take the chance of breaking the glass rear window.

That luggage rack actually looks too small for that massive deck lid. Like Cbody67 said previously, those trunks were huge, who needed a luggage rack.

There were factory luggage racks for E-bodies, even as a factory option, but nothing for a C-body.

Should somebody have make one, it would have had to be nearly as wide as a park bench for the proportions to "look right". Can't forget about the room in the rear floorboards for use to stow small bags, either.

CBODY67

I do not believe they offered one for the slabs. You can look here in the accessories catalog The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1965 - 1969) .

Chrysler did offer one for the '70 shown, but from looking at the pics in the accessory catalog, I'd say this is an aftermarket version.

For the comments about trunk size, the convertible has the spare tire on the right side and that takes up about 1/3 of the available trunk. Where the spare was in the hardtops is taken up by the top when it's down. You can't put anything there or you take the chance of breaking the glass rear window.

Thanks John. I'm glad you said it.
Sometimes I havta just walk away.

Back