TRW p/s pump reseal

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The p/s pump was leaking on the sporty so I removed it disassembled it and got a seal kit.
image (1).jpeg

I first removed the pulley with a puller then I went after the seal. There is a indentation next to the seal and used a punch to crush in the side of the seal.
image (2).jpeg

Then I used a screwdriver to remove the seal
image (4).jpeg

image (6).jpeg

The seal install was next, I always pack the spring with grease so it doesn't pop out when it is driven in place. I used Vaseline for the seal, and a socket to drive it in with
image (8).jpeg

image (10).jpeg

The pulley has to be pressed back onto the shaft. I used some round stock against the back of the pump shaft to support it.
image (22).jpeg

image (20).jpeg

Then the o-ring for the pump body is next lubed with more Vaseline.
image (18).jpeg

Then I lined up the tank and pressed it into place by hand.
image (16).jpeg

Reinstall the bracket, than I put it back on the car.

Here it is back on the car
image (31).jpeg

In another post there was some question about the angle on the steering shaft on a 66 fury. The 65 has a slight angle to it also.
image (29).jpeg

My 73 Imperial leaks ps fluid but only when it sits. Leaves a puddle on the floor. You think it may need this cure? While driving its fine, only when it sits for a bit.

My 73 Imperial leaks ps fluid but only when it sits. Leaves a puddle on the floor. You think it may need this cure? While driving its fine, only when it sits for a bit.

Maybe... if you're unsure of where the leak is coming from, there are florescent dyes available... A very small dose for P/S system would make the source of the leak very obvious... all you would need is to flag down a Snap On man and get a black light and glasses from him...:lol:

Is your 73 a Saginaw pump? The procedure is very similar, like cantflip said you are going to want to pinpoint the leak source first. Clean off the pump and area around it if that's where you think it's coming from.

Pretty oily down there... not sure if it's a sausage or not, I'll do some cleanup and research.

The pump reservoir seal is a notorious problem area. The big o-ring seal gets old and it leaks fluid from the bottom of the reservoir where it mates with the pump body. If you see fluid on top of your bottom radiator hose, that is a pretty sure sign the leak is due to the old o-ring seal. Don't ask me how I know this. . .

Back