tshooting broken horn testing relay questions

saylor

Reaction score
o wise and venerable forum!

muh horn quit and I have no idea why. so I was thinking, if I go to the horn relay and start there it may get me in the correct direction at least.

test1: from the relay, if I ground the horn trigger pin, horns should go off.
test2: from the relay, if I cross +in pin to the horns-out pin, horns should go off.
test3: from BATT to horns direct. horns should go off.

if test1 fails, my issue is the relay or horn buttons @ wheel
if test2 fails my issue is the relay
if test3 fails my horns are fried or bad ground at the horns

what else can I do to get more specific testing to better prove this out?

is the turn signal cam/assy involved with the horn (inside the steering column?) I lose track of the horn wire @ turn signal assy in the FSM wiring diagram...

I have a 3spoke Plymouth steering wheel that I do not find in the FSM, I think its early/67? ive never seen another fury with one. non tilt/telescope. automatic. how can one test the buttons/connections here? Only 1 of the 3 spokes really ever fired the horn since I've had the car, the other 2 spokes don't really function like they should.

thanks!

- Saylor

o wise and venerable forum!

muh horn quit and I have no idea why. so I was thinking, if I go to the horn relay and start there it may get me in the correct direction at least.

test1: from the relay, if I ground the horn trigger pin, horns should go off.
test2: from the relay, if I cross +in pin to the horns-out pin, horns should go off.
test3: from BATT to horns direct. horns should go off.

if test1 fails, my issue is the relay or horn buttons @ wheel
if test2 fails my issue is the relay
if test3 fails my horns are fried or bad ground at the horns

what else can I do to get more specific testing to better prove this out?

is the turn signal cam/assy involved with the horn (inside the steering column?) I lose track of the horn wire @ turn signal assy in the FSM wiring diagram...

I have a 3spoke Plymouth steering wheel that I do not find in the FSM, I think its early/67? ive never seen another fury with one. non tilt/telescope. automatic. how can one test the buttons/connections here? Only 1 of the 3 spokes really ever fired the horn since I've had the car, the other 2 spokes don't really function like they should.

thanks!

- Saylor

That sounds like a plan to me.

The turn signal switch is involved only that there's a little roller gizmo that provides ground up to the plate on the steering wheel. It's at about 12:00 on the switch in the pic.
s-l1600.jpg

thanks Mr. Big John. I bet this is gonna be the issue ^^. I have done no tests yet, but my signal switch inside the column is known broken, it does not auto-return into position so the tangs are broken off for sure. and that explains why in the FSM wire diagram the horn wire stops at the turn signal switch assy. Can I just use a gear puller on the wheel then its the next thing in line under the wheel? It has to be unpinned out of the connector doesn't it. bah.

thanks Mr. Big John. I bet this is gonna be the issue ^^. I have done no tests yet, but my signal switch inside the column is known broken, it does not auto-return into position so the tangs are broken off for sure. and that explains why in the FSM wire diagram the horn wire stops at the turn signal switch assy. Can I just use a gear puller on the wheel then its the next thing in line under the wheel? It has to be unpinned out of the connector doesn't it. bah.
Yep, use a steering wheel puller like this one and it's all right under the wheel. You could also unplug at the column harness and check for continuity to ground when you blow the horn. Column should be grounded too, so a quick check for that is a good idea.

DCP_0749.jpg

Back