Horn issue - last piece of puzzle

Stoffauge

Reaction score
Good morning Friends,

99% of the electric stuff works now and just the horn is left.

At first I assume buy pushing the triangle on the steering wheel it should honk, right? (never worked when I got the car) (Picture 1)

I am down chasing the problem probably back to the steering wheel. Checked all Continuity by chasing the wiring with the FSM wiring diagrams. Checked the horns with a battery (works loud and clear). Got a new NOS Horn/KeyBuzzer relay -> Key Buzzer works excellently!

I assume the to activate the horn the two contacts (red and black cable) inside the steering wheel will get together by pushing the horn button right? (2nd pic) . That means the red cable coming from the TSS through the copper ring on the wheel ; and the black cable thats attached on the column ground right?

Right now the horn button is off and if i want to honk by connecting red and black via the contacts shown on pic 3 nothing works.

My two attemps to chase the problem:

Do all of the three corners of the horn button have to be pushed simultaneously to activate the horn or is one corner of the triangle enough? (Because on one of the three the cable is off)

Does the Copper horn contact of the TSS has to have 12v+ if ignition is on?

Can´t really see why it isn´t working and really looking for help. Would love to have my original steering wheel working fine.....

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8604.jpg

IMG_8607.jpg

There are no "hot" or live wires in the horn buttons.
The buttons are grounds that complete tge circuit when pressed.
The 3 buttons you have are known to be problematic.
You do not need to press all 3 to activate horn.
If you unhook the button harness and then touch the steering column with the main feed wire going to the buttons the horn should blow.
If so, replace the buttons.
I had seen them on Ebay and also check with National Moparts or Murray Park.
Hope this helps.

Hey Cbarge,

thanks for your input. Just for my understanding: what wire do you mean by main feed wire and where should I touch the steering column?

Thank you :)

Hey Cbarge,

thanks for your input. Just for my understanding: what wire do you mean by main feed wire and where should I touch the steering column?

Thank you :)
Should be a black wire going up into the column that connects to the black wires of the 3 buttons.
Remember body is ground so any metal surfaces in the column you can touch like the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column for example.
Even if you use a jumper wire to touch metal to diagnose horn operation.
The contacts at the buttons typically corrode.
Hope this helps.
I have the same wheel in my 73 Satellite Waygun

FB_IMG_1634715940709.jpg

Last edited:
At first I assume buy pushing the triangle on the steering wheel it should honk, right? (never worked when I got the car) (Picture 1)

the centre triangular pad is not the horn button, any of the 3 rectangular buttons at the ends of the triangle are what you press for the horn

I gave away a Satellite wagon same year and color a decade and some ago, have regretted it but pulled a few parts under the hood.

the centre triangular pad is not the horn button, any of the 3 rectangular buttons at the ends of the triangle are what you press for the horn
That’s why I asked that simple question :) I was actually wondering why I couldn’t find any spring below the buttons?! How do they come back after pushing ?

Gonna try the jump wire test on Saturday and will get back to you guys . Thanks already :)

That’s why I asked that simple question :) I was actually wondering why I couldn’t find any spring below the buttons?! How do they come back after pushing ?

Gonna try the jump wire test on Saturday and will get back to you guys . Thanks already :)
I thought it was hardened vinyl returning to its original shape.

I thought it was hardened vinyl returning to its original shape.

Ok I see thx.

But why there is a kind of plastic strip between the contacts? For me it seems like isolating the two contacts from each other but it´s on all three corners so there has to be a reason why it´s there. Just can´t see it......

Sorry. I never figured out how to remove the contact pads/horn pads. How do you take them apart?
20180205_154217.jpg

20180312_154422.jpg

Mine we´re kinda loose but they are clipped twice with metallic holdings from the back. If you take them away the buttons come apart from the whole triangle.

Man I hope I can get the horns work....

Good luck. If you need more hints just ask :)

EDIT: Found a pic :)

Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited:
Mine we´re kinda loose but they are clipped twice with metallic holdings from the back. If you take them away the buttons come apart from the whole triangle.

Man I hope I can get the horns work....

Good luck. If you need more hints just ask :)

EDIT: Found a pic :)

View attachment 557787
Good luck to you too!
Thanks for the info. I should have looked more closely.

Good morning friends,

Just put in my battery yesterday and the honk somehow just works fine by pushing on the ends of the contacts . Just not by pushing on the buttons maybe the got harder through the years ?

And : Honk does not work when car is running ….. obviously wiring issues but tripple checked wiring before when I was looking for the issue itself so kinda clueless where to look at now ?!

Honk works great when car is off but don’t when engine is running…

Back