Turn signals

The previous owner of my 300 pulled the delay timer after it got really hot one day. I haven't replaced it.

Seems like someone with a little electronics background could whip up a replacement timer that wouldn't heat up.

The previous owner of my 300 pulled the delay timer after it got really hot one day. I haven't replaced it.

Seems like someone with a little electronics background could whip up a replacement timer that wouldn't heat up.

Some sort of electronic delay relay to eliminate that heat.

Back in my Tool & Diemaker days, it was MIL-DD41.

Make it like the damn drawing for once.

Those time delay relays are supposed to get friggin hot! That is how they keep the light on after the door is closed. They convert the electrical energy to thermal energy from the door being open, and then convert it back to electrical energy once the electrical power source is removed. Shouldn't get hot enough to melt wiring though...but they do get too hot to hold in your hand.

So last night I go back out to have another look up under the steering wheel for my courtesy light. I cannot find any light source there whatsoever...nothing below ior behind the ignition key cylinder....no light source on the steering column at all..anywhere (see pics...that protrusion is a release).....this brings me back to the time delay switch....this will bug me to no end. Why is this here. Could this be for interior lights? If so, it is indeed defective.

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Steering Column.jpg

So that explains it.....

Found the turn signal flasher also (thanks Big_John). It was pushed up there and dusty as all hell. The lady who owned the car never touched anything....nothing looked disturbed, like it was a time capsule from 1970 or something. Hated to pull that down.

2lnbhc2.jpg

Sorry for the pics rather than a nice scan.

First pic shows the steering column with the flasher switch.

NCM_0041_zpsecc01643.jpg

Next pic shows the same view, turn signal switch removed.

Here you see the ignition lamp. Note the lamp peeks through the same hole as the flasher switch.

NCM_0040_zps8cff235f.jpg

No, there isn't a "black nub" below the ignition switch.

Take the hose clamp off your column and look at the flasher switch. You'll see the opening for the light.

Either your bulb is out or the clamp is obscuring the light.

Sorry about the "black Nub" statement....I'm going off a sometimes faulty memory. Not sure what year they started coming that way, but I do remember a mopar steering column with a light as I stated.

Sorry for the pics rather than a nice scan.

First pic shows the steering column with the flasher switch.

NCM_0041_zpsecc01643.png

Next pic shows the same view, turn signal switch removed.

Here you see the ignition lamp. Note the lamp peeks through the same hole as the flasher switch.

NCM_0040_zps8cff235f.png

No, there isn't a "black nub" below the ignition switch.

Take the hose clamp off your column and look at the flasher switch. You'll see the opening for the light.

Either your bulb is out or the clamp is obscuring the light.

The pics show the switch for hazard flashers on the steering column. The hazard flasher switch in my car is on the instrument panel, so even though there is no knob on the steering column, I guess that is where the courtesy light is supposed to emit from. The clamp isn't covering anything so the bulb must be burned out.

IMG_1464.jpgIMG_1466.jpgNCM_0040_zps8cff235f.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

NCM_0040_zps8cff235f.jpg

Yea, I realized the flasher was on the dash (like mine) after I posted and didn't get back to correct it. I looked at my car too before I wrote that too. LOL!!

Either way... That's it!

Sorry about the "black Nub" statement....I'm going off a sometimes faulty memory. Not sure what year they started coming that way, but I do remember a mopar steering column with a light as I stated.

I remember those on later cars and I think on the E-body cars.

Yea, I realized the flasher was on the dash (like mine) after I posted and didn't get back to correct it. I looked at my car too before I wrote that too. LOL!!

Either way... That's it!
Excellent. I now have a key courtesy light (and on timed delay to boot). I LIKE it.

Back