Turn signals

Gary, that is a time delay relay. They are also on all Formals with an electric rear window defroster. It shuts the power off to the defroster circuit after 10 minutes.

Do you have a rear window defroster on your Newport?

Try this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1...trical-time-delay-relay-2889565-/270879335396

$(KGrHqZHJC4E7y+jFVozBO9OMChfZg~~60_1.JPG

That's a time delay relay... No doubt.

Take the lower cover off the dash by the steering column. See the red wire coming out of the harness connector from the steering column? Follow that wire to the flasher. It should be on the left of the steering column.

Thanks Bob, I see what your saying. However, I don't have electric filament in the rear window as a defroster. There is a motorized blower underneath the package tray with a wide vent located just at the bottom of the window. The switch for it is located on the dashboard next to the A/C controls. It blows (off/lo/hi) warm air enough to melt a good amount of snow clean off the glass surface, adequate enough to see everything behind me. There is no time delay on it. When the switch is flipped off it is disconnected immediately in all scenarios. Also I've yet to find an ignition key courtesy light, there isn't any. So, if this is a delay device, what is it delaying?

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Take the lower cover off the dash by the steering column. See the red wire coming out of the harness connector from the steering column? Follow that wire to the flasher. It should be on the left of the steering column.
Will do, thanks.

But why is there a time delay If there is no time delay on anything? Nothing is broken, no blown fuses or anything malfunctioning (other than the turn signal flasher).

Will do, thanks.

But why is there a time delay If there is no time delay on anything? Nothing is broken, no blown fuses or anything malfunctioning (other than the turn signal flasher).

That time delay is for the ignition light. The light is underneath the steering wheel, so it may be burnt out and you just never knew it was there!

That time delay is for the ignition light. The light is underneath the steering wheel, so it may be burnt out and you just never knew it was there!
That would definitely be cool if there is one there. I'll check it out later. None of that stuff is in the sales receipt/description either. But if not, I have a mystery on my hands I guess.

It is a black looking nub just below, and behind the bottom of the ignition cylinder. Pretty much every mopar after 1968 had this as standard fair. Sometimes this time delay also controls a "Fasten seat belt" light....but that was generally mid to late 70's.

It is a black looking nub just below, and behind the bottom of the ignition cylinder. Pretty much every mopar after 1968 had this as standard fair. Sometimes this time delay also controls a "Fasten seat belt" light....but that was generally mid to late 70's.
If so its been inoperative all this time (wow), which gives me a reason to get under there and fix it. Thanks.

This will be the "turn signal flasher" not "hazard flasher"?

Yep. Turn signal flasher will have red and black wires going to it. Harzard will have purple and black.
Ok, thanks much. Why does such a simple thing have to be such a PITA.
If it wasn't, all the Chevy guys would want a C-body. I wouldn't want to see that. We're smug over the Chevy guys, because we pay our dues.

Posted via Topify using Android

Those time delay relays get very, very hot. If you don't need it....I would leave it out. The one on my NYB was shorting out and I could smell an electrical fire in the car. It was that damn time delay relay. I had another one and put it in and it got hot as hell too. I just left if out. That was enough of an experience that I definitely remember to turn off the rear window defrost manually. BTW, that electric rear window defrost is the only reason Formals have a 100 amp alternator. It really sucks the juice when it is on.

RE: Those time delay relays.
Here's a weird story...
I needed a new one. While doing an internet search, I trpped across some cross reference numbers. There's a HD one made made to aircraft spec. I got one of those. Made like it was to MIL SPEC..

Those time delay relays get very, very hot. If you don't need it....I would leave it out. The one on my NYB was shorting out and I could smell an electrical fire in the car. It was that damn time delay relay. I had another one and put it in and it got hot as hell too. I just left if out. That was enough of an experience that I definitely remember to turn off the rear window defrost manually. BTW, that electric rear window defrost is the only reason Formals have a 100 amp alternator. It really sucks the juice when it is on.
oK, thanks for the heads up. I've never experienced a burning smell before (except when my fusible link fried itself last fall).

RE: Those time delay relays.
Here's a weird story...
I needed a new one. While doing an internet search, I trpped across some cross reference numbers. There's a HD one made made to aircraft spec. I got one of those. Made like it was to MIL SPEC..

Yep, I came across a gazillion Mil Spec parts. What is funny about it is the electrical parts....all them are 28 VDC. Example: Dumb *** gunner steals a small block Chevy starter from the motor pool and tries to get it work on his his 1975 Chevy Pickup. He comes up to me as says "I've got a brand new starter for my truck and it still won't start...can you take a look at it?" We are in Germany. I said sure no problem! As soon as I saw the Mil Spec metal tag on it I told him he has ONE HOUR to get that starter back in my Motor Pool!
He asked me how I knew....I told him to bring the starter to me when he gets it off the motor. We have a ground hop kit and I put the starter in a vise and hooked it up and cranked the starter. He still didn't understand the difference between 28 VDC and 12VDC systems...but he can put steel on target every shot!

BTW, this is what has a 283 Chevy motor with double hump heads. We had 25mm chain guns on them. They were fast and accurate enough to knock low flying aircraft out of the sky.

homepage.jpg

Back